1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Yes, he offered it up for sale, but no one stepped up and bought it.

2. TSwizzle

TSwizzle Member

I'm 5'9" and 183lbs with about a 42-43" chest.

3. Smahatma

Smahatma Senior member

As someone waiting on a June order, I would rather wait longer and have them use their tried and true artisans to maintain the standard of quality, rather than try to vet new, untried workshops to save 2 or 3 months, with compromised quality.

2 people like this.
  4. Heymanniceshot

Heymanniceshot Senior member

^ Me too. I just wish the lead times were more accurate, I don't mind the wait, as long as the lead times I am told are met.

5. ssmith15

ssmith15 Member

Last update was over 5 weeks ago. The increasing lack of transparency is irritating. We can speculate all we want about what might be going on within TOJ internally, but unless it comes from the mouth of the owner, we're all just trying to pin the tail on the donkey blindfolded.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  6. sussi

sussi Senior member

Perfect! Thanks! I am 5'11" and 176 with 43-44" chest. I am really looking forward to get the jacket. And I am hitting week 42 today.[​IMG]

7. omgcookielol

omgcookielol Senior member

As someone who has orders placed months later than you, I'd rather have June orders act as guinea pigs so that I receive my jackets earlier.

Seriously though - Having other workshops fail at their attempts to construct other orders wouldn't have a huge impact on output. lol The current workshops would still produce at the pace they've set for themselves. Maybe a handful of individual orders would get delayed, but that's probably all you would need to figure out that things just won't work out.

Just because they stick to the current shops doesn't guarantee that there won't be errors either - you could end up like ceoceo(?).

Still not trying to stir the pot, but I just don't think that argument is adequate. I'd rather hear straight up if there's a decent chance that they'll expand production after a certain point, or if they've already been looking into it.

2 people like this.
  8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Nothing is going on, as we all know toj is a 1 1/2 man band with charley taking orders and drew handling design, but charley lives in the us and has a full time job and drew just opened a new restaurant, where he's in the kitchen himself, which on a good day is a 16 hour a day job.

Remember the restaurant / foodtruck was always the goal.

9. Smahatma

Smahatma Senior member

You have a formidable ToJ collection, I will defect to you.......THIS TIME

10. RXS09

RXS09 Senior member

Since we're talking about red jackets... this one is probably the coolest ToJ has ever made.

[​IMG]

11. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Not sure it's really worth to start new relationships with workshops (which requires a trial run process etc. etc.) for a business that is closing. There aren't tons of qualified shops available either that will take relatively small orders like the kind ToJ makes. And MTM.

12. emilo

emilo Senior member

Come on. We are talking about cutting and sewing leather from a predefined pattern. This is not about having 'tried and true artisans' work a magic forge to conjure your jacket out of angle dust, it's about having experienced craftsmen doing what they do. I mean, they even offered the Harrington as an option for their fundraiser run a month or so back, which literally means that they could engage more workshops in the jacket making if they felt impelled to do so.

And for people who didn't order until August, September or even February of this year, it is not a matter of 2 or 3 months more. Extrapolating the last years jacket output, we are talk years more waiting time.

13. RetroFuture

RetroFuture Senior member

Damn, so if I put my order in now, how long you think til I get it? lol

14. bertie

bertie Senior member

I had presumed there was a large rush of orders last June/early July which swamped the process, which was already swamped from a previous backlog. While I have no clue about ToJ's production model beyond what Drew and Charlie have described here and in other fora, it sounds like there was very little opportunity or appetite to ramp up production. One has to presume that orders fell off dramatically after the June/July rush and have been trickling in ever since (me included). It does not therefore seem logical to think that the production time lag will continue to grow. Rather, it should be shrinking unless the rate of new orders has not changed at all from what it was before last June.

My previous orders took 4+ months and I resigned myself to a 10 - 12 month wait for my latest jacket based on recent experience here on the thread but am hoping that my logic holds and that once all the June/July orders have finally cleared that the backlog will shrink. Of course, I'm just speculating.

15. Somatic

Somatic Senior member

Anyone have success or has pictures of a TOJ in some sort of white leather? I rarely ever see white leather jackets, and it has me wondering about its potential...

16. RetroFuture

RetroFuture Senior member

I remember seeing a pic in the TOJ Gallery of a user with a coke white leather. Can't remember which model, maybe the MDR?

17. masshi

masshi Senior member

18. clark kent

clark kent Senior member

TOJ has offered ivory. magicalporks had one.

19. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Harringtons are made by a separate workshop that he previously used and had stopped using when the model was discontinued. They would have only had adjustable lengths IIRC

Once the rush from the cutoff is done, there should be significantly fewer orders. Why would you go through finding a new shop to work with, QCing and evaluating their work, having them only handle a few orders and then stop working with them again? That is, if they would be willing to do so.

By your logic, we should be able to find competent suit makers at every other alterations spot.

20. el Bert

el Bert Senior member

Also it was one of the only jacket that I think Drew used Napa leather since Aeglus basically just went to Drew directly.
    There was ivory/off white, I think there's three jackets that were made with it snow, magicalporks and that one random foo had it in a minimalist moto. Drew said it was thinner than most other leathers.