1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

My orders now: Calf DR 2010 and Lamb A2 [​IMG].

Trying to hold on for these last 6-11 weeks without making any more changes.

2. dvskei

dvskei Senior member

\

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    2 people like this.
  3. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Shrug. I have experience dealing with wait times that would make an Alden fetishest feel lucky. I hear from my gunsmith once a year with an approximate estimate on how many years I have left to wait. If you contact him without good reason he tells you to fuck off.

I can see why it would be disappointing to a lot of people - my first ToJ took under 10 weeks IIRC.

1 person likes this.
  4. timbermade

timbermade Well-Known Member

After realizing that I don't want to pay a shit ton for a rick bomber, I'm really jonesing for an ma-1 suiting wool. I've already got a lamb MDR in the pipeline and I'm not sure my heart can take it again for a different jacket. Someone sell me theirs so I can fulfill my wallets needs.

5. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

I looked at the emails and my first TOJ took 3 weeks [​IMG]

waiting still sucked

3 people like this.
  6. masshi

masshi Senior member

does anybody here have a calf jacket in a 44? do you wish you had gone with lamb?

7. Distorbiant

Lol I love you masshi.

Did you post on reddit about the calf vs lamb too? Haha.

Btw, which did you go with?

8. superstaarrrr

superstaarrrr Well-Known Member

What's the price of the MA1 in leather?

9. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

$780

10. pl0nky

pl0nky Senior member

Navy/black or black/black toj? Also thinking of navy ma1 saw some pictures of it that looked amazing

11. masshi

masshi Senior member

nah i barely go on reddit

and i also actually quoted that same drew post myself a while back when that girl was asking about lamb vs. calf, but seeing it again made me wonder (though i'll never switch from calf; riders really benefit from the toughness of the calf both in terms of "character" and their actual physical structure imo)

and despite my wavering in this thread i've never actually changed my initial med. whiskey calf mdr order, with ryosuke's moto being really reassuring in terms of the color i should be expecting

12. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Mint, so that'll mean you have a Lamb 2013 DR plus those too?

Also Drew in for Harrington. Would definitely cop a Weekender/Duffel, if not recommendations for a black leatherweekender, MMM so expensive and not too sold on IISE.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  13. sleepless

sleepless Senior member

Because endless emails about "where's my order?", negative effect on the brand,and endless posts clogging up the main form of communication (this thread). Aka increased customer service demands and poor customer satisfaction.

There are clear downsides to allowing a large backlog. Both in time and money. Is the extra capital worth it? Only Drew knows.

1 person likes this.
  14. Potsnu

Potsnu Senior member

To chime in on the whole debate,

When I placed my order back in June, I had already expected at least 6 months lead time given what we saw on the last hiatus.

While it sounds logical to cap off monthly orders from a logical business perspective, this is not a normal business and they really don't have the resources to do so in this manner.

Easier for them to funnel all the orders and book production respectively.

Plus at the end of the day, people who have supported TOJ since Day 1 have realized this is their way of doing business and has accepted this. It's no different than the brand Supreme who for the most part have really bad customer service, yet people flock around the block camping out days/hours to get a piece of their clothing. They accepted that's how they run their business and they're fine with it.

Now, I'm pretty sure Drew has learned a wealth of knowledge that he will do things differently from a business stand point once gets rid of MTM and go off the rack sizes.

I don't blame his Kickstarter model, people generally are more than willing to wait a very long time for their product if it means that they can pick up on items they had previously missed, especially for customers who only heard about the brand well after the items have been discontinued.

Everyone wins in this scenario and if you don't like the model, you're more than welcome to not buy their products. Drew is not consciously tryign to shaft people into long wait times for the profit, he built his business with this model in mind and unless he jacks up prices to put more resources into it, it really doesn't make sense at this point when he's getting rid of MTM.

6 people like this.
  15. Oski

Oski Senior member

I ordered a black lamb quilted BCDR but after all these months I think I'm leaning toward oxblood calf 2013 DR.
    I didn't think I'd end up being one of those guys to change an order, but hey if it's still not made yet I might as well!

1 person likes this.
  16. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

If you want to put a nice pretty bow on the ToJ business model you're going to have a bad time.

17. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

The model is akin to that really popular hole in a wall restaurant with limited seating and a line out the door. It is what it is and it's already changing anyways.

3 people like this.
  18. Distorbiant

You wouldn't tell people outside the door that the wait is 30 minutes and then expect them to be ok with 5 hours though.

I'm ok with the wait times but I agree some courtesy mass emails would have been useful.

5 people like this.
  19. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Year long waits in the MTO leather jacket industry are not unheard of. I think Goodwear Leather now has a 15-18 months wait for his $1,500 jackets. Companies have three options when they start to see rapid growth:

1. Take the additional revenue and pump it back into the business, hire additional employees and keep lead times on orders as short as possible.
    2. Take the additional revenue and pocket it, leading to ever growing lead times on orders.
    3. Take the additional revenue and invest in other ventures, leading to ever growing lead times on orders in your existing business.

Before anyone jumps to conclusions, I will say that finding quality leather workers whom can be trusted to uphold the quality you have promised your established clientele is probably not the same as finding a new salesperson or accountant. As with doing business with any other company, caveat emptor. I see more blinders on in this thread than in any other thread on this forum (even more than the Epaulet thread) so whatever the ToJ boys are doing has worked to keep the herd happy.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    3 people like this.
  20. Potsnu

Potsnu Senior member

I used to be in the modified car scene and almost every item I ordered from Japan always look much longer than I was quoted for.

It's the reality for some consumer goods. I pay money, forget about it, and get excited when it arrives.

Most people here have more clothes than what they know what to do with. It's not like you really need this jacket at this exact moment.

Yea it sucks to wait, but it is what it is.