1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. MauriSSio

MauriSSio Well-Known Member

after the rush there was a huge slow down. After all these backed up orders get finished, the remaining ones shouldn't take as long because there are less to do. As was stated in a previous post, it follows a bell curve. Not sure why it's so hard for you to grasp.

2. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Well-Known Member

Yes, there was a huge slow down in orders placed. That doesn't mean the jacket creation slows down or speeds up.

ALL of the orders are "backed up orders to be finished."

Please link me a post by drew or charly stating that there's a "bell curve" to their production.

I just can't fathom how you're logically processing all of this.

3. Joona

Joona Well-Known Member

I have 3 jackets in queue that I ordered late june & early july, hope to receive them in a next month or so. And If not, well the wait time really is still not "that bad". For instance Good Wear Leather has a lead time of ~ 12 - 15 months for their jackets and I'd be more than ready to wait equally for a TOJ FQHH or calf bomber if it only was still possible to order TOJ bombers in calf or FQHH. Anyway, I get the anxiety and frustration especially if you are waiting for your first jacket.

@eglbc I haven't seen a women's size chart either, but even if such exists, I'd still suggest you'll take the measurements of her body and give them to Charly. My GF has black lamb GF DR already + Women's diesel blue heavy calf Channel Quilt BCDR in queue. Charly really knows how to translate the provided body measurements into a women's jacket. If I remember right, I only asked slightly smaller cuff for her and other than that we went with the measurements Charly suggested and the GF DR turned out well and so should the BCDR.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  4. MauriSSio

I never said their production follows a bell curve, but the ordering of the jackets do follow a bell curve. There was an influx of orders and then a huge decline or slow down. The later orders shouldn't take as long as the earlier ones.

5. Distorbiant

[​IMG]

I give up.

6. DarkDestiny

DarkDestiny Well-Known Member

Your assumption would only be accurate if they already went through the big influx of orders. Based on turn times increasing, that simply doesn't look to be the case.

7. MauriSSio

I wasn't saying they already went through the big influx or certainly wouldn't know that as fact but I sure hope they have or I hope they're near the end of it.

8. eglbc

eglbc Well-Known Member

Can anyone bring me up to speed on the "Adjustable lengths only" for a lambskin MA-1? Based off stock sizing, what measurements are getting adjusted?

Last order I did was a winter varsity, and I dont think that was the case.

9. PDinh

PDinh Well-Known Member

The Lambskin MA-1 is a leather piece so you have complete customization on sizing. But I'm sure you could use the stock sizing they offer for the jackets as well.

1 person likes this.
  10. Distorbiant

The Lambskin MA-1 is a full MTM leather.

Varsity and Wool MA-1 are adjustable lengths only for sleeves and body.

11. eglbc

eglbc Well-Known Member

Ah makes sense, thank you.

12. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Well-Known Member

Can we just block and move on?

2 people like this.
  13. B0Bs4g3t

B0Bs4g3t Well-Known Member

YOU'RE SUCH A FAN BOY UNICORNPRINCESSX

2 people like this.
  14. kwonster

kwonster Well-Known Member

Ordering a suiting ma-1, have most people been sizing up? Perusing the thread, looks like most people have had issues with it being too tight. I'm about a size 40, so looking at a size 52 with 46/48 lengths.

15. 5354

5354 Well-Known Member

what an abortion of a thread in the last couple of pages

6 people like this.
  16. thonez

thonez Well-Known Member

Did you mean your a size 50?

17. StPauli

StPauli Well-Known Member

Doesn't the size 52 have a 50" chest? Even with the added thickness don't you think a size 50 would suffice?

18. kwonster

kwonster Well-Known Member

Mixing up US/Euro sizing, my bad. I'm usually a 50, but have been told the ma-1 fits slim and that I should size up to a 52.

Just curious as to whether anyone with a ~40" chest has ordered a 50 and wished they ordered a 52, or something similar. According to the measurements, a size 50 has a 23.5" chest and the 52 has a 25" chest, which seems large but probably doesn't take into consideration the padding.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  19. StPauli

StPauli Well-Known Member

I have a 42" chest and Charly suggested I go with a size 50.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  20. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Well-Known Member

this turned enormous, but i had fun writing it.

what dude is saying makes sense though, though he's not really explaining it, nor can it be proven. this is all just conjecture; we'll who is right for sure when it all shakes out. I'll try to explain a possible process in which order wait time would decrease, and then explain what could be happening in general with wait times.

For this, let's assume a one-jacket-a-day production speed for each production team, which I think we've been told generally (and things may have changed, but based on really old info, let's say there's two teams: bombers guy and riders husband-and-wife-duo.) Knowing the real production turnout would be necessary to properly estimate our wait times, but this is just an exercise.

Using the riders team as the example, if they produce 5 jackets a week, and people are getting jackets after 24 weeks now or something, that means there are 120 jackets in the production queue, assuming a 5-day workweeks with no production stoppages for materials reup issues or holidays. (5x24=120) That wait time happened, as we all understand, because people ordered jackets faster than production could manage.

Now, if orders slow down, say, with a new rider order only once every 3 days for all of December (unlikely but we can use it), that's 10 jackets added to the queue in 30 days. Assuming a one-a-day production process, the person who ordered the last of those 10 at the end of December is only 10 days of production behind a person who ordered at the start of December. So if the first December order has a wait of 24 weeks, the last December order should have a wait of 13 days less, since 23 jackets in the queue have been produced in that time, and only 10 have been added in. That's almost two weeks less to wait.

So in the real world, if orders are tapering off (which we have been told they have been or at least were a month ago or so), and if, say, they're only getting an order every few days, then they are completing jackets faster than they are getting new orders in, reducing wait times.

However, it's a fallacy to assume a wait time from jackets ordered in July (what we're seeing people talk about here) will be anything like the wait time in December, either shorter or longer. Wait times have been increasing because orders were increasing back when those orders were placed.

An example: If an order came in on July 15th, then two orders came in each day between then and August 1st, that's 32 jackets ordered in 16 days. Only 12 of those are production days (5 day workweeks,) so 12 jackets are produced in that time. 32-12=24. An August 1st order is 24 days ahead in the production queue from the July 15th jacket. With 12 jackets produced in that time, it takes the production team an additional 12 days to get to that jacket, so the August 1st orders are gonna have a wait time of almost two weeks longer.

If that type of pace kept up through, say, October, then good lord, December orders have quite a wait, though people at the end of December may have a little less wait than those at the start of December as explained above.

6 people like this.