TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

He mentioned many times that he planned to discontinue it... and there have been variations that look very similar for way more $$$ going on several seasons now.

2. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

-wtf 3x post-

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013

3. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

I just got into TOJ [​IMG]

But yeah it is true many other places are releasing the style. APC is releasing one that looks just like it this fall I believe.

4. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

I don't think I will ever understand why people obsess over the varsity and TOJ1. The full leathers are so much better in pretty much every way and you can get them for less than a TOJ1 style jacket from another maker.

5. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

they're aesthetically totally different. there's not a comparison to be had there.

6. magicalporks

magicalporks Senior member

Charly told me that navy calf could be done for a qbcdr a while back.

On a non-varsity topic, any updates on the Tokyo showroom plans? Might find myself in Japan again this summer. [​IMG]

7. Distorbiant

I just think they look cool.

8. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Don't think I am gonna live in Japan anymore, and have nixed that idea. Don't really want to float brick and mortar costs on the clothes because it'd just add cost to the pricetags, and also I'm looking at getting into other businesses and so I will put my own resources into that - would like to make a TOJ home line (TOJ leather sofas and then ceramics intended for nouvelle cusine, plus some TOJ home textiles) and a food business that might get huge. TOJ clothes will still continue and we're still working on streamlining, increasing the product offering, and holding the line on quality and price.... but just less interested lately in doing brick and mortar for the clothes now. Other things I'd rather do with that time and space.

9. impolyt_one

I also agree, but what can you do. I have a good position on leather jackets, but people will want the variety. I can respect that much. I do get tired of the zipper talk, because it's been 3 or 4 years and nobody knows any more about zippers than when we started, but yeah. lol I don't think the TOJ1 or even the baseball should be one's only TOJ, though, as that is a shame. Like going to a nice restaurant and only trying appetizers.

10. impolyt_one

I am gonna get quite a bit more serious and offer more coats, and want to do a pretty unified style with them, so that TOJ coats are worthy of getting their own room, basically. Before it was only a few or a handful, and now it'll be quite a bit more. Also, I'm moving away from melton and getting into finer coat wools, with a more compact weave and a softness you expect from dress coats. I'll be applying this more than just dress coats, though, as you will see. Still working on those samples piece by piece. Will work on updating new leathers too, so we get into 2013 right.

11. Distorbiant

I think the price point of <$400 is a lot more inviting too. I know the full leathers are great bang for buck but sometimes people can't drop that much, regardless of them being a regular styleforum user. I could personally never pay $800 for a jacket.

Then again...

"Call me Distorbiant. Some days ago--never mind how long precisely--having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me besides TOJ on this board, I thought I would browse about a little and see the SWD classifieds of Styleforum."

12. impolyt_one

Well, that's fine, someday you might be able to buy a full leather. It'll be there when you want it. The great thing about leather jackets is that you get a ton of play out of them, moreso than most people think going in, and while the price is naturally high, because it's a one-off leather jacket - there is good value there and it's gonna be one of the best clothing purchases you'll ever make. I'm sure there are people in this thread who wear their TOJs daily for months on end and then repeat whenever it gets chilly again.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013

13. impolyt_one

fwiw, I'd love to be able to make more stuff at the lower price points - problem is, it's easier to increase more to the content relative to price, so the leather jackets are the better position. If people were willing to understand that it requires making preset stock sizes and using a factory instead of the one by one model - then there are things that can be made (not leathers, but other jackets and small fun things) and sold at the lower price points. They're obviously not going to be bad-fitting, but they won't fit all, naturally.

14. Distorbiant

Are people not willing?

Because I am!

15. linds_15

linds_15 Senior member

everyone always like to see lower price points, but with two TOJs in my closet, amongst many other jackets, i can't say I'm anything less than extremely satisfied. i don't feel as if long term they are that expensive because they are not exactly trendy, but rather something that for 800$ fits perfect, and ill wear for a long time. already planning my 3rd purchase, just a matter of what which is a great problem to have with a brand