1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Death24xASecond

Death24xASecond Senior member

Thanks, guys. Clearly I'm new to leathers in general, so I really appreciate the guidance. Will go with lamb for sure, toffee tan.

2. Potsnu

Potsnu Senior member

I think it's because the jacket is too short, it's causing some of the excess leather to bunch up.

The elastic band will loose a bit as Newo has indicated and that should mitigate some of the bunching, but I think it's a tad short.

3. barrettdudley

barrettdudley Senior member

I don't have a ToJ yet, but I'm pretty sure all the leathers I do have are lambskin. They break in beautifully. They do not fall apart. My favorite leather is a black lambskin that I've worn a ton for 3 years now. It gets better every year.

*This is assuming, of course, that the lamb leather is of high quality.*

4. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

It's not because it's too short at all. The bottom is too pinched. It's also quite possible that the bottom band of leather is simply too small to fit over his hips+jeans+belt, and no amount of elastic stretching will fix that.

2 people like this.
  5. rockket

rockket Senior member

i understand shoes, but what's the reasoning behind rotating jackets?

6. pl0nky

pl0nky Senior member

I think I'm going with lamb as well. Its going to do what I need and more! Black lamb QDR with silver zips it is! Now to get measurements. Do you guys think mens warehouse or a tailor will measure me if I ask them to? lol

Edit: I can choose to get bemberg lining right? jw

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  7. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior member

I feel like garments last longer compared to their usual life if you stagger the cumulative wear and tear compared to straight wearing it everyday. Sweat and oil accumulate in jackets too.

Of course..if you're going to wear something like a horsehide jacket, wearing it everyday would speed up the break in process. Depends on what you want.

8. Newo

Newo Senior member

p.s. whoever has sherwood suede stuff, go ahead and get a pair of the SF MTO Vibergs in loden green.

1 person likes this.
  9. tunneler

tunneler Well-Known Member

Which one do you prefer? 4 zip MDR or 2010 DR? Is the 4-zip MDR still available?

10. NotClever

NotClever Senior member

For more anecdotal evidence, I've admittedly only had my lamb jacket for a little under 2 years at this point, but the only thing that has done any lasting damage to it is my cat. He managed to put a tiny puncture in it when I was dumb enough to hang it from a door knob, and there is a nearly invisible scratch on the sleeve from his back claws that we are too lazy to trim. So basically as long as you don't take a knife to it you should be fine.

It does have some noticeable lighter coloration where it rubs frequently (elbows and where my messenger bag strap rubbed on the hem) but I'm pretty sure I could darken those up just by conditioning. Either way it definitely is character aging and not what I'd consider damage, though of course it's still not going to be bomb-proof like a calf or FQHH would be.

11. 5354

5354 Senior member

They're both great jackets and it depends on your preferences really.

The 4-zip MDR is still available.

12. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

13. pl0nky

pl0nky Senior member

I personally like the 2010 DR more

14. Death24xASecond

This is, of course, entirely my opinion. I feel with 4 zips, the "minimal" aspect of the MDR is sort of lost. As it stands, I love the MDR out of TOJ's entire current offerings simply because it's got that fine balance between clean, sleek, and minimal...and just so slightly dashing.

(I mean, if I really wanted minimal, I'd just go for the barebones collared moto.)

So yeah.

15. eidolarr

eidolarr Well-Known Member

Data:

Brown lamb A2, suede patch, half-placket, ordered 6/17, added bemberg 8/7, shipped 12/9, got tracking email 12/10, arrived in bay area 12/12.

edit: jacket is obviously fucking sick.

16. DarkDestiny

DarkDestiny Senior member

Everything in this is pretty much me except I ordered much later lol. Enjoy the jacket on my birthday for me haha.

17. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

The DR 2010 is the pinnacle of TOJ DR's.
    British biker leather design is understated yet aggressive.

Perfect amount of hardware, symmetry and asymmetry, has a very balanced lapel size, etc.
    I love it so much I almost got 2x DR 2010s.
    There's only one real flaw, imo, that there is no silver buckle hardware for the belts.

18. masshi

masshi Senior member

didn't some dude just show us a whiskey mdr he bought for his uncle a few pages back?

you should take a look it was pretty sick

would post it myself but on phone

19. Death24xASecond

I think I know the one you mean, but it was calf. I'm unsure if there is a difference. Probably not much but I've seen calf whiskey with different shades--bright, medium, etc. Lamb MDR only comes in "bright" so yeah.

20. tunneler

tunneler Well-Known Member

5354, Death24xASecond, and Distorbiant, thank you for the feedback. I'm definitely leaning toward a 2010 DR now (black lamb, silver zips).

Now I just have to decide whether I want a trucker, A-2, or MA-1... they're all so tempting.