1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. flahertongs

flahertongs Well-Known Member

What, you don't think I averaged them for the measurements I sent to Charly? I'm not an idiot. I just wanted a second opinion from someone here who is about my build and also owns a TOJ, to put my mind at rest. Some of you guys are acting like I just committed some kind of heinous offence. What the hell is wrong with asking the community here for a second opinion on measurements?

2. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Pretty much why MTM will be gone forever, even if TOJ comes back.

1 person likes this.
  3. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

There really isn't. It's just like when people say "tracking received, can't wait" and 5 people say " no one cares", even though they bothered enough to write a response. People tend to judge a situation based on their current knowledge or state of mind, not the one they possessed when they ordered their first jacket. It is a natural thing to be a bit OCD when ordering a MTM jacket that costs ~$700-800 and is non-returnable. If you want second opinions, by all means ask, but you will just have to ignore the negative feedback. Although, a better way to check measurements, is to ask someone who has ordered that jacket via PM. Even better yet, if you know someone is similar to you in size, ask them. When I was ordering my first jacket, I found this a much better source of information beyond "ask charly". I probably did what most people did: measure myself, send those to charly, then adjusted them slightly. It worked pretty well, although I did end up selling one jacket out of four. I might argue the greatest benefit of checking with other people is in terms of mental sanity or confidence that the measurements were correct, whether or no that really had a huge impact on the sizing of my jacket it would be hard to say. As many people and myself have stated, if you are wavering between two measurements, go with the larger one.

Like I said, in any MTM venture, people are going to second guess you and themselves and be concerned that something isn't going to fit OK. Especially when they risk a fair chunk of change. I can understand why it is going away as it is a hassle beyond just having unique measurements for each jacket, but I do not think anyone is "the reason" or really warrants the blame. It is simply the nature of the business. If you buy a MTM suit, most of the time, you can tell the tailor something is wrong and they can fix it or they will make you a new suit.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
    3 people like this.
  4. AKang

AKang Senior member

As much as everyone says to "trust Charly," it's just common sense to take the measurements he suggests and compare it to a well fitting jacket you have. Hell, even sketch out the measurements he gives you on a big board and throw your jacket on top of those measurements and see how it fits. The measurements Charly suggested for my first jacket were actually quite smaller than what I needed. I compared it to a jacket I already owned and increased the p2p, arm width and shoulder, but it still came a bit too tight. Sold my first TOJ for a loss and ordered a second one with proper adjustments. This has been said by other TOJ owners; that you may not get the perfect jacket your first time, so I can understand why first time buyers are freaking out a bit more, since it will probably be their first and only time to get a TOJ. I always found this thread to be helpful but recently (maybe its because of the fact that TOJ is closing shop for a while and everyone's just a bit more on edge lately) everyone has been quite dismissive. I am really grateful to have gotten all the help I needed here, and from Charly, but let's not discourage first time buyers by telling them that they "deserve" ill-fitting jackets because of their lack of knowledge in the MTM game... and to all first time buyers: trust Charly, but use common sense and check his suggestions.

2 people like this.
  5. B0Bs4g3t

B0Bs4g3t Senior member

I'm sorry if my post was taken seriously; it was intended to be a joke about only learning how to use Excel in college and applying it to Jawnz. Here is a serious response:

I understand your apprehension, especially if you're a first time buyer. I was nervous too when I first purchased my jacket. But I think you may have complicated your situation by going to 6 different people -- sometimes ignorance is bliss, and you have to have faith in the Temple. I had a girl in my lab help measure me. Did it three different times, then averaged those values, and they were all within +/- 0.1-0.2 in. I also measured myself, and as Gauss said, in any case that there was a discrepancy, I went with the larger value. Then it comes to the age old adage of "trust Charly." I think if you fully explain your desire for the jacket, and give measurements, he will provide you the best. The service Charly provides is amazing: in this last BCDR order I had, we agreed on measurements and I paid, but he followed up and asked for another jacket measurement -- he ended up modifying the length of my jacket because he had a hunch that it might end up being too long. This was after we had agreed on measurements, and I had sent payment. Charly isn't messing around -- he's aiming to give you the best. But at the end of the day, you just have to -- as cliche as it is -- take a leap of faith and just trust that your best judgment on measurements was made, and have faith that Charly will be baller, as he has been.

To address your, "this forum is full of dicks who aren't willing to help out," I don't think you help yourself by essentially berating the thread with, "F YOU GUYS! YOU GUYS AREN'T SUPPORTIVE! THIS IS MY FIRST TIME! I'M WORRIED HELP ME OUT! F YOU ALL!" While this thread is full of sass (I'm looking at you nahneun), in my experience, if you aren't just a troll (Distorbant), or are being stupid, people are extremely helpful. I've pm'd multiple people in this thread, and their advice is great, and in general they've been helpful advisors in more things than just TOJ. But I'm sure they wouldn't have been as inclined to help, had I been like "YOU ARE ALL UNHELPFUL! I'M A FIRST TIMER! F YOU! ... oh hey, cyc wid it, will you answer some questions for me?"

This is like The Sandlot, and you're Smalls. You have to earn the respect of the group before you get to play ball. I feel like this applies to any group dynamic in life in general. Trust me, I've only been here a year, so I'm even hesitant to be preachy like this.

TL;DR: Simplify your measurements strategy; have faith in Charly. Know your place, be respectful, the TOJ community wants to see sick jackets with sick fits.

8 people like this.
  6. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

i just get annoyed with the clusterfuck of tracking updates and first time buyer posts that make it difficult to sift out any relevant information... which simply leads to more "trust charly" posts and the usual one or two dissenters. it's happened every time there was a significant event at toj. people fucking need to learn to use their own brains instead of expecting the internet to make all their decisions for them. using a tape measure isn't rocket science, nor is finding a tailor to do it for you if you're too nervous to do it yourself.

5 people like this.
  7. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Here's the troof. Charly will get you 90% there, which should be good enough for any jacket.

One reason MTM got to go. It's not necessary and it pushes people to expect 100% perfection and there is no such thing.

2 people like this.
  8. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Senior member

Whoa, newb upheaval. We're assholes because it keeps the signal to noise ratio high.

Shoulder to shoulder isn't that hard, unless you can't read English.

Shoulders - measure across the front. The points to which you measure should be right on top of the shoulder, and slightly forward of the center point - basically at the joint but on the front side.

Drew even put naked peechurs for reference.

1 person likes this.
  9. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

seriously. how much hand holding do you kids need? and when all else fails...

LMGTFY, NOOB[/size=7]

10. ts18

ts18 Senior member

Anyone get their tracking number for toj0 and backpack?

11. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

Not yet... The day is still young? :embar:

12. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

13. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Black or brown A2?

14. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

:(

15. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

Ordered BCDR! Thanks Charly. And Drew, this is my tip of the hat to your ambitions.

16. otc

otc Senior member

It was much easier the second time...

Just continued my old email thread, included some pictures of the original jacket and said, this is what went into that jacket and here is how it fits, now how do we make it work for an A2?

I think I sent a total of 4 emails. One as a feeler making sure I could order what I wanted, one with pictures and details, one to confirm a couple options, and one to confirm sending a payment.

Much less than the 11 I sent the first time.

17. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Sent 4 first time, almost dozen this time... :embar: It just sucks when your measurement is not consistent with sizing chart.

18. Mark9fiji

Mark9fiji Member

Just sent payment for my first ToJ's!

MDR Calf Dark Blue
    DR 2010 Lamb Black

Silver gearing

I have a Tommy Hilfiger leather jacket that I pinned/folded to the specs Charly suggested, and it look/felt great! I also compared the sizing to what I have as a blazer measurement on moderntailor.com to make sure the dimensions aren't too tight(found out the specs charly suggested are a tad larger than the ones I use for MTM blazers).

Now I'm thinking about picking up another MDR in a red or brown...
    Maybe an CWU in brown

I hope they go on for another 2 weeks!

19. B0Bs4g3t

B0Bs4g3t Senior member

Good choices...go A2 brown. CWU should be black.

20. jackmccabe

jackmccabe Active Member

Just sent payment for a black calf suede BCDR with silver zips (no quilting).
    Hoping to get the money to get a grey lamb 2 zip moto to go with it.