1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

In 4 months, I expect to read about many a jacket that was sized too slim upon customer request. Complaints of "I can't lift my arms!" and "I can't zip it up all the way" will abound. So will bad fit pics.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
    3 people like this.
  2. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

IS THIS HISTORICALLY ACCURATE

Also, how long does shipping usually take to the west coast? Seems like it goes pretty fast

TOO BAD YOU'RE GONNA HAVE TO

3. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Really wish I had steady employment/a cash flow right now to just go HAM on ToJ products, electric blue QDR and some beautiful whiskey suede number would be so fucking cool

The marketplace is gonna be flooded with new ToJs in 4 months time though haha, wonder what the volume of orders is like. Over 1000 in a month? :slayer:

4. APK

APK Senior member

Why wait four months when you can go back through most of this thread right now?

5. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

It's about the right time for things to start going. This week or next I imagine for both to start shipping. I hope so, because I lost my backpack after classes ended at the end of April, and have been schlepping to class with my laptop and notebook in hand.

6. TeamCoCo

TeamCoCo Member

@ cyc wid it
    Are these the people that didn't trust Charly?

damn, keep forgetting to press the quote button.

7. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

What's the wait time on full leathers right now?

don't wanna bother charles

8. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

After over three years of pining, just put in an order for an A2 in brown unglazed goat.

I was freaking out over measurements measuring and remeasuring and comparing and measuring and my wife finally said "dude, just trust Charly."

1 person likes this.
  9. noirwest

noirwest Senior member

good god, this thread has almost become unreadable. brb, let me freak out about measurements and post what I submitted and then ask strangers on the internet whether they think it'll fit me ever though you post no fit pics of anything.

The only challenge for anyone is SEVEN measurements of your own body. If you can manage to do that and also measure a current piece of clothing you own, Charly will give you an amazing jacket. It's seriously not that hard. Dude has helped hundreds of people get awesome fitting jackets, chances are if you can use a measuring tape, you're gonna get an awesome jacket too.

6 people like this.
  10. B0Bs4g3t

B0Bs4g3t Senior member

That's not schlepping that's graduate school.

11. Rookje

Rookje Well-Known Member

Is the Suede T1 still available or no?

12. Cole

Cole Senior member

read the post, yo. all items but the ocbd are available. also @cookie yeah im 17. definitely leaning towards the bcdr at this point. my style is pretty inoffensive and stuff but I think a quilted bcdr would look sick and definitely wearable. I don't really understand jackets looking "too aggresive" except maybe with like the 2013 dr. I would only feel confident stepping out in a bcdr

13. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

I lol'ed

1 person likes this.
  14. chv7

chv7 Well-Known Member

He's 5'8. I'm about 5'6-7 and my jacket is 20.5 front and 22.5 back.

15. Potsnu

Potsnu Senior member

if you can't follow detailed instructions on how to take basic measurements on yourself and trust Charly, then you deserve a bad fitting jacket. It's only natural selection.

16. leipergrey

leipergrey Well-Known Member

I ordered an A2. I just went with Charly's advice.

If I did take my measurements right, then I'm sure I'll get something good. We'll see.

1 person likes this.
  17. flahertongs

flahertongs Well-Known Member

Wow, what an absolute bunch of crap. It's exactly this that has made me so hesitant to post in this thread for so long.

For what it's worth, I 'trusted Charly' with my measurements. The only (incredibly minor) changes I made were -0.1" to body length, and +0.3" to sleeve length. Both were adjustments I made off taking his suggestions into account, and then re-measuring both myself, and a jacket that I own.

The problem is, your average person probably won't know exactly, for example, the points where they should take their shoulder measurements from. I know there are pictures and a brief description on the John Coppidge site, but chances are, if you've never measured yourself before, you're not going to feel 100% confident about EXACTLY where the points are on your own body.

You can roll your eyes and spout unhelpful and sarcastic remarks about it all you like, but I went to 4 different shops to get my measurements, and walked away with 4 different sets. After this, I decided to measure myself and get my girlfriend to double check. I even had the TOJ measurement guid OPEN on the computer, so we could read its instructions EXACTLY. Guess what? None of the 6 different sets were exactly the same.

It's not as straight-forward as you claim it is to get your perfect measurements, and feel comfortable that they're correct...especially when it's your first time doing so. And when you drop $800 on a jacket that you won't see or feel for months, you want to feel confident in what you ordered.

Yes, Charly knows his shit. I'm not doubting him. Does that mean I don't feel a little nervous about the whole affair? No.

You guys think you're better than so many people here. Why? Because you have one or more TOJs already? Because you had an easy time getting your measurements right? Because you've measured yourself before, and don't need to ask someones else's opinion on your measurements? Well I'm sorry I don't belong to your elite club.

You guys need to come on down off your high horses. Don't first time buyers have a right to be nervous and ask others who own multiple pieces for their opinions? Where else are people going to get the chance to ask for a second opinion on sizing?

And posts like this:

Wow. You sound legitimately happy about this. What an awesome attitude to have.

14 people like this.
  18. chv7

chv7 Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. I measured myself, and sent it to Charly with certain specifications. After getting a reply from Charly with the measurements, I took out a leather jacket and another cropped/slim fitted coat that I owned and measured them both. Then from there I had the measurements that Charly sent back adjusted. I ended up with the fit that I was looking and hoping for.

19. B0Bs4g3t

B0Bs4g3t Senior member

Take six measurements, use Excel to give you an AVG and STDEV. Low end for slim, high end for regular. That's what they taught me in college.

1 person likes this.
  20. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

I like this approach, but I would simply take the largest 6.