• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yeah, but 3 years ago we had a lot of snow. 11 days off of school, ah what a great year

Pussies.

The last time I got a day off for school was in like 2nd grade when the governor closed schools statewide for extreme cold. Oh, and once I got a 2-hour delay in high school because the busses were having trouble making it through a few feet of snow.

Last edited:

pyroxyze

Reaction score
Pussies.
The last time I got a day off for school was in like 2nd grade when the governor closed schools statewide for extreme cold. Oh, and once I got a 2-hour delay in high school because the busses were having trouble making it through a few feet of snow.
Or we don't spend money on salt trucks throughout the winter because it would be a ******* waste of money?

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That site about Toronto weather was way off; here's something more like it (without windchill):
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/CAXX0504
Is layering under a leather jacket feasible though? if you wear it in early fall with just a shirt under, then layer underneath it as it gets colder, aren't you going to be stretching it out, so much so that it won't look good with just a shirt anymore?
I really love the look of leather jackets, but I'm dubious if it sense for me to drop around $700 on something I can wear 3 months of the year.
And a side note: I think if you're having to layer 2-3 heat techs at a time at -20C, you're probably not wearing appropriate outerwear.

You'll be fine...

I wear my moto probably Sept - mid Dec, March - May without too much issues. If it's your ONLY jacket maybe you'll have trouble and it also depends how long you're outside for. I'm wearing my TOJ0 today with just a scarf and a beanie.

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I don't think I'll need that many layers since DC weather is pretty ok ;)

Remember how the mid-Atlantic pretty much stopped having a real winter at some point? Last "winter" I wore my DR (which I never zip all the way up) over a henley and a v-neck with a scarf and hat, and I was fine. There might've been a couple of days I wore a thin hoodie as a mid-layer.

They're saying that this year is supposed to be a bad (read: good) winter, which I'm rooting for since I ordered a fishtail.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Or we don't spend money on salt trucks throughout the winter because it would be a ******* waste of money?

I mean I understand the argument--its cheaper to just cancel school/let the city shut down occasionally than it is to maintain a fleet of snowplows and sand/salt trucks.

But you guys get **** cancelled in the kind of weather where they wouldn't even call in the plow drivers. I'd hapilly drive my mother's front-wheel drive VW golf (no snow tires either) all over MN in the kind of snow that gets everything around DC shut down.

pyroxyze

Reaction score
I mean I understand the argument--its cheaper to just cancel school/let the city shut down occasionally than it is to maintain a fleet of snowplows and sand/salt trucks.
But you guys get **** cancelled in the kind of weather where they wouldn't even call in the plow drivers. I'd hapilly drive my mother's front-wheel drive VW golf (no snow tires either) all over MN in the kind of snow that gets everything around DC shut down.
Well that's because people don't have experience driving in the snow and there would be accidents. And the time that we did get snowed out was for a week straight (2 times) and there was like 8-12 inches of snow. We had no snow plows or ice trucks ready to deploy immediately so we were kind of fucked

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was stuck in Ireland once with an inch or two of snow and the whole country ground to a halt for like two days. When you have no salt already on the ground + drivers inexperienced to winter conditions it's completely different.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well that's because people don't have experience driving in the snow and there would be accidents. And the time that we did get snowed out was for a week straight (2 times) and there was like 8-12 inches of snow. We had no snow plows or ice trucks ready to deploy immediately so we were kind of fucked

I was stuck in Ireland once with an inch or two of snow and the whole country ground to a halt for like two days.  When you have no salt already on the ground + drivers inexperienced to winter conditions it's completely different.

Exactly--Pussies :)

(although they are pussies who live somewhere where they can wear a ToJ year round if they really want to).

pyroxyze

Reaction score
Haha, this is just going to turn into a semantics discussion and I would much rather talk about how glorious TOJ is

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My school was cancelled once because they thought it would snow that day. It didn't.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will bombers ever be available again in something heavier than goat?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads