1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Newo

Newo Senior member

A leather duffle doesn't get relegated to the role of a luggage bag, but rather serves an aesthetic purpose. If people wanted pure function over form Temple of Jawnz would not exist as you see it here. It's simply an aesthetic alternative to a style of carry. I wouldn't mind a leather duffle, but I do think a pure leather duffle would be silly for me, you'd need pads on it or something to help it stay strong, and I wouldn't ever want to take it to the gym :(

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

fucking swagged out traveling is what kind, boss.

9 people like this.
  3. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

I have a couple of "weekenders", ranging from an ultra-nerdy LLBean roll-on that's absurdly useful for short plane trips, a giant leather envelope bag that I use for long car trips, and various canvas and nylon ski bags that I use for ski gear (duh). As concerns a general "bag discussion," that is, rather than any discussion of the recently-announced TOJ bag that we don't actually know nothing about, none of these bags equate to a really solid duffle-type weekender.

I'm actually fairly puzzled by the confusion. A leather weekender can go in an overhead bin, it can go in the trunk of a car, it can be used as a doggie bed, and generally the older and more beat up the get, the better they look. Thousands of brands make bags like this; you can find 40 year-old variants in thrift stores - it's a pretty commonplace item. I don't own anything made by filson, but I do own both leather and canvas bags, and I can't really see why "durability" would ever be an issue (remember, we are not talking about the recently previewed helmet tote) with a big that you're not actually using, I don't know, jungle expeditions or something (quick! grab a...filson?). If you want to buy a filson, by all means, buy a filson. I think they're pretty ugly. How is a leather duffle "pointless?"

And just to give razele's point a late-pass, I carry a messenger bag almost every day and I can feel it doing bad things to my body, so alternatives are always welcome. I don't really like backpacks (unwieldy, can't ever find shit), but I don't love the feeling of a messenger back with a laptop, Ipad, notepad, pens, and camera in it either.

1 person likes this.
  4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I just pulled the back and forth for the past couple years (towards the end, sometimes a couple round trips a week), here's what I used for traveling (not all at once, just one or a few at a time)

[​IMG]

So, yeah I have used the 'weekender' bags (one is Porter in nylon, the other Givenchy in leather) - but here's the thing; I never use them otherwise in day to day life, and so I was always wishing for a smaller, lighter bag that would hold my laptop snugger. If I had that, I would've traveled with 1 suitcase and 1 small bag, rather than trying to overstuff a duffle as a carry-on. Part of the weight problem of my 15" MBP is the fact that if it's not held securely then it moves around in the bag and makes it feel even heavier as you constantly adjust to correct it. both bags have shoulder straps but using them meant I'd have a torn up shoulder for days after every flight.

The point of the Helmet Bag is not expressly for travel, it's almost precisely between a tote and a softer, larger brief, and I'd prefer it carried by hand. Shoulder straps ruin the cleanliness of it, and to me, carried as a shoulder bag would look more feminine than carrying by hand like a brief/satchel. The size vanquishes any notions that it's a purse, and it doesn't contain the same design motifs that make man purses man purses.
    It's actually way way more versatile than you guys are imagining - aesthetically I'd feel good pairing this with anything from my leather jacket or a wool casual coat, all the way to being laced up and dressed in a suit and tie to most jobs, or yes, as Synthese said, random pair of shoes and some clothes on a casual adventure. Perfect for the guys who do business casual but still care about how they look. Perfect for students who want something more respectable looking than a ratty plebe backpack or shitty nylon laptop bag. It's pretty capacious, would fit any size laptop (in a sleeve) with ease, plus some more stuff. There's also an easy open pocket on the back for newspapers or magazines. It's hard to imagine off the top of your head, but just that back pocket alone takes another 1/2 to full one hide of leather. It's leather over leather (you don't really see inside the pocket but it goes all the way down.)

13 people like this.
  5. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

Wifey got me a Coach leather duffle because I admired something like it on tv and then saw this in store and it was the perfect color leather with nickel hardware... its fucking beautiful but I want to skip ahead to a year or two of use where I'm not afraid of those first couple scuffs. Something about it feels so delicate; maybe its that it just has that newness but I'm not yet convinced of the toughness of the leather they used. Doesn't have that "holy shit bullets cant touch me" toughness you guys have expressed when you open your calf or goat TOJs.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. bertie

bertie Senior member

Totally agree. I have a filson duffle and use it for fishing/camping etc. When I travel business I like something a little nicer and just use a small roller now but it lacks any style. I've ogled leather bags from some heritage brands but they are either too small or too expensive. There is a sweet spot for some goods where they are neither too expensive too lose sleep if they get lost/stolen or they are inexpensive and look it.

7. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

size test. "is it in yet?"

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  8. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

be careful of the zipper against that mac. learnt the hard way from my filson..

2 people like this.
  9. B0Bs4g3t

B0Bs4g3t Senior member

Drew, is it too early to talk about price range? Just interested, especially after you've mentioned it's "leather on leather." I'm curious how much I might have to save over the next couple months. Also, since there is one size, will you be able to produce more of these quickly? Therefore have a smaller turnaround time?

Also, maybe a sacrireligious comment, but how much can that hook hold? Could you hang the bag off of something, maybe off a bike rack? OR is it more for hanging something off the bag? (I understand why the hook is there historically)

10. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

bag without a shoulder strap is a non-starter for me, not that i was in the market for another bag :eek: carrying bags by hand is so impractical.

4 people like this.
  11. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

Same here.

1 person likes this.
  12. filip001

filip001 Active Member

It's true that most people out of school don't carry a backpack, and really shouldn't. But there is one exception, at least for me, and that's on my bike. A black leather backpack could look pretty cool on a motorcycle. Most motorcycle gear looks like shit, it would really stand out. I was considering the makr round backpack which seems to have nice materials, but it's canvas and looks pretty standard.

3 people like this.
  13. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

I wasn't thinking of a duffel style weekender when Drew discussed bringing back bags a while ago. I was thinking more along the lines of this (which happens to be Guidi's medium sized version). Something large enough for short trips, but small enough for daily use. The helmet bag looks like it would fulfill the same requirements. I don't ride a bike or a motorcycle and as I mentioned earlier, shoulder straps don't always play nice with MC clothes.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. buran

buran Senior member

Maybe I've always been a one-backpack type of guy but I don't get suede backpacks. Maybe the climate I live in just isn't right for it. Do want sand-tan daypack though and helmet bag looks nice.

ps ma-1 get on my back now.
    pps don't delay shipping a week because I said I wanted it.

15. bertie

bertie Senior member

Here is the style I had in mind earlier: Could be all leather or mixed materials (e.g. leather lower half). Could add one adjustable shoulder strap. May add a flap over the top for more secure closure. Line it with Alcantara
    [​IMG]

16. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

17. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

you mean like the seabag...?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. bertie

bertie Senior member

No of course not. Not like that at all. They are totally different. Okay maybe. But no ropes.

And alcantara lined of course

19. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

stop already.

20. bertie

bertie Senior member

you hate alcantara?

1 person likes this.