TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Senior member

... the blue is like a dark royal blue (not as dark as navy) and the green doesn't have that much brown in it - it's purer green, and a shade darker as well...the dark grey is a shade darker.

fwiw though, those look exactly like they would if I were to make real samples of those colors and bring them home and photograph them the same way I always do. That is astounding dude.

thanks. when you got the time, take a picture of the said colors above, and i'll try to replicate them in the styles. might take a while, but right now i got some bandwidth to work on this due to downtime @ work.

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

this thread kind of sucks because instead of people posting pics of their clothing you have people like uncontrol going OMG YOU SHOULD MIGHT ITEM XYZ LOL ID BUY IT IN A SECOND even though the item is ridiculous, impractical and will probably never be purchased

if i learned one thing working for mauro it's that hype almost never translates into actual purchases, and that 90% of your business comes from people who never post / don't give a shit about keeping up with the latest omg cool releases.

in short, people post more pictures of your toj

man, I know this too, but basically I can't put $710 into everybody's pockets so they can get a leather jacket, nor can I give them away for free or for any cheaper than that... so I don't really mind if people come in and fap to the clothing and appreciate the photos and developments. This is not a high fashion brand where I'm gonna take out huge ads and have runway shows and shit and then people wait around for 6 months to buy it on clearance and say they're on my shit - this is my hyper arts n crafts project and it's custom clothing. [​IMG]
    The suggestions and stuff... well, some are interesting, most aren't very good, but you never know. Ideas are nice.

3. Teger

Teger Senior member

man, I know this too, but basically I can't put $710 into everybody's pockets so they can get a leather jacket, nor can I give them away for free or for any cheaper than that... so I don't really mind if people come in and fap to the clothing and appreciate the photos and developments. This is not a high fashion brand where I'm gonna take out huge ads and have runway shows and shit and then people wait around for 6 months to buy it on clearance and say they're on my shit - this is my hyper arts n crafts project and it's custom clothing. [​IMG]
    The suggestions and stuff... well, some are interesting, most aren't very good, but you never know. Ideas are nice.

yea but its also a business. i think people forget that. samples cost money. material costs money.

4. impolyt_one

I hope that thread never gets deleted, because it really is the perfect example of how conditioning your potential customer base to expect discounts and deep end-of-the-season sales can play a role in your business's demise.

To not get this thread too off-topic, DREW, the leopard print...quit teasing and let us know what it's for.

lol. Yeah, our tote bags are free. [​IMG] You just need to pay the regular price for one of our pieces... though I have the loyalty discount (should I call this the 'frequently flyest' club?) for people who commission enough stuff.

ANyway, that leopard stuff wasn't ours. But I guess if you want leopard lining or something in your jackets, we can do that. There's a ton of that stuff out now at the markets, it all came in overnight or something and the whole place looks like a zoo.

5. impolyt_one

yea but its also a business. i think people forget that. samples cost money. material costs money.

Dudes always ask when I'm gonna make one in each color for each style, and I'm like, 'fuck, if I had twenty grand to splash bro, maybe...' - but I do forget/can't understand that some people aren't visualizers. It's like, I have this black jacket up, and you can't picture it in beige? I can, obviously, but I guess some people can't. Never been anyone else to know though. [​IMG]

6. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Dude, I hate to be skeptical, because I like what you're doing. But the loyalty discount is just conceptually absurd to me. I mean if you have 15 pairs of good, quality, serious jeans, I think to myself, "that's pretty excessive denim-nerd-dom bordering on fetishistic". But 15 good, quality, serious leather jackets? Who the hell needs 15 leather jackets? Or even 7 leather jackets for that matter. Of course then I think "well you could probably use a brown bomber, and a navy piece would be pretty cool" and all of a sudden I'm at 5, plus I wouldn't mind a Julius, and if you count leather shirts that's like 8-9. So I guess the answer to "who the hell" is me, so the above was fairly hypocritical. Still though. Fifteen?

7. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

A points system might be kind neat, since I know the whole shirts vs. leathers thing was brought up. Maybe a shirt would be 1 point and a DR would be like 7, and when you reach a certain amount of points you get into one of the TIERS OF LOYALTY.
    ANyway, that leopard stuff wasn't ours. But I guess if you want leopard lining or something in your jackets, we can do that. There's a ton of that stuff out now at the markets, it all came in overnight or something and the whole place looks like a zoo.
    Shit I was so ready to buy a leopard safari shirt...

8. impolyt_one

also, about varsity jackets - it's like, dudes, the whole situation surrounding varsities was made far too complex for what it was supposed to be - it's just a jacket and it's fairly apparent of what it is, but there were random guys stoking the fire and starting the bloods vs crips war on topics like raglan vs set-in sleeve, sizing, their perceived quality, and a lot of things that were untrue were thrown around and probably believed by some... that kinda left a bad taste in my mouth and made me want to stop making them to spite people, basically. lol.

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

i wouldn't do a loyalty/point system. its a lot of work and if you give people an inch they'll take a mile, and fight for any discount/deal they can get. the product is good enough to stand on its own. maybe if oyu do something private to true ballers, that's good, but if you're a true baller you don't need it in the first place.

10. impolyt_one

Dude, I hate to be skeptical, because I like what you're doing. But the loyalty discount is just conceptually absurd to me. I mean if you have 15 pairs of good, quality, serious jeans, I think to myself, "that's pretty excessive denim-nerd-dom bordering on fetishistic". But 15 good, quality, serious leather jackets? Who the hell needs 15 leather jackets? Or even 7 leather jackets for that matter.

Of course then I think "well you could probably use a brown bomber, and a navy piece would be pretty cool" and all of a sudden I'm at 5, plus I wouldn't mind a Julius, and if you count leather shirts that's like 8-9. So I guess the answer to "who the hell" is me, so the above was fairly hypocritical. Still though. Fifteen?

most guys who have 5-10 pieces from us don't have that many leather jackets, they have stuff like the backpack, a varsity, a coat or two, shirts, etc. There are like 3-4 guys with a lot of our leather jackets.

11. impolyt_one

i wouldn't do a loyalty/point system. its a lot of work and if you give people an inch they'll take a mile, and fight for any discount/deal they can get. the product is good enough to stand on its own. maybe if oyu do something private to true ballers, that's good, but if you're a true baller you don't need it in the first place.

I can't really afford to discount anything, but I get a lot of repeat customers and guys who have helped me get to this point, so that is my appreciation for them. I never would've guessed two years ago that I'd be sitting here with all these sick ass leather jackets of my creation, with many things produced, so if there's anybody I'm gonna hook up, it needs to be those dudes who have helped it along.

12. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

the product is good enough to stand on its own.
    This is kind of how I see it. Realistically everyone who buys a TOJ leather is getting a discount at full price. I hear what you're saying about having bags / coats etc (does someone actually own 7 shirts to get a loyalty point for that??) but I think I agree with Teger on this one. Not that it matters obviously.

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Post #1649 was where I unveiled the 2011 DR, we're above post #2000 now; so far we have sold two. [​IMG]

It's kind of hard to pull the trigger when you are revealing stuff slowly. First the 2011 DR, then the collared moto, then the 3rd DR and then there might still be a 2011 bomber and suede options? I think you might sell more once all are revealed.

14. impolyt_one

Like I have always said, running TOJ is like a restaurant or bar - so the loyalty discount is kinda like my version of a bartender doing a buyback, and you know, that is nice to do for the right people. My favorite bartender sets me up with a free single once in a very blue moon, and then pulled out the Zacapa XO for my birthday and we shot about 5 of those apiece on the house. [​IMG]

15. Teger

Teger Senior member

what im trying to say is that i think at the end of the day, no matter how many people hype up the product etc, what really matters is who's buying what. people love to talk about how much they LOVE something, but most people on the internet have no real brand loyalty and do whatever they can to get a discount. i don't blame em, or disagree with em, but it can hurt brands and it can hurt stores. as i said: i saw mauro get eaten alive by this and it sucked.