TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. dibango

dibango Senior member

So many possiblities. I could def see some guys on here doing this.

2. Johnny Amiga

Johnny Amiga Senior member

Oh man, that is truly next level. Inspirational stuff right there.

I had some sketches I was trying to turn into clothes about five years ago or so, but luckily at that point when I asked around here there was no way in hell I could have the slightest chance of breaking even with the production costs here. Lucky too, cause those sketches were shit.

Still, this'd be something I would be interested in at some point. I figure my tastes have improved somewhat...

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  3. leopardus

leopardus Member

2010 DR in Dark Whiskey Calf. I couldn't be happier with the fit, it's exactly what I wanted. Anyone sitting on the fence, my advice; jump.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. IDH

IDH Senior member

Drew,

Although you have said the service is not going to be offered to individuals, just businesses - would you be willing to help out by advising certain producers in Japan? I have quite a weird body shape to shop for (Tall & very skinny) and have recently been thinking of just sourcing materials and finding someone to make clothes I want - but just for my own use.

I find your story quite inspiring and the idea of wearing clothes I designed myself, that fit perfectly, and are made to a high standard is obviously really cool. If it was to work out well I would deffinatly consider trying to sell in the future, but I'm a student at the minute and if I couldn't give the idea my 100% attention I wouldn't feel right selling things.

Would you be willing to help out finding producers? For example at the minute I'm looking for some sunglasses, but none seem to fit right - and I know you had a producer in mind for the TOJ sunglasses that never came to light.... :embar:

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

dude, doesn't work out that way. You have to make tens, if not hundreds of the same item at a factory, there is no such thing as a bespoke sunglass maker or factories who take on work to clothe individuals. It'd work if you were filthy rich and wiling to buy like 5-10 pieces at the 100 piece rate, but other than that, no.

6. Johnny Amiga

Would you be interested in taking a look at some designs later at some point and offering your opinion on whether or not there's any potential?

7. impolyt_one

yeah I'd be cool with that, i will be honest if I see any viability. It depends on how you plan to sell and stuff too, but give me info beyond the designs so I can tell you if i think it will work or not. Just iphone pics work fine.

8. Johnny Amiga

Nice, I'll get back to you when/if there's something worth showing.

Didn't see this one coming, really cool stuff. Hopefully some interesting things will come out of this.

9. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

If it were 15 or so years from now and I already had a seven figure salary I would jump on that, but sadly I don't so maybe I'll just order a bomber or something.

You had to do this dramatic farewell bullshit when I have massive demands on cashflow and also wanted to buy Kunk's Yigal shearling, didn't you.

10. Garbage Mouth

Garbage Mouth Senior member

If ordering a leather jacket, are they still completely customizable (size-wise) or are sleeve, front, and back length the only adjustable factors?

11. istasi

istasi Senior member

Everything; measure your body according to the guide on the website and email them with measurements. They will adjust the jacket accordingly.

12. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

*unless you mean the baseball or TOJ0 (?)

13. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

Charly will just fit it to your hard points and adjust the length to suit.

14. omgcookielol

omgcookielol Senior member

Retracted :embar:

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  15. impolyt_one

Well, I'm not trying to lead somebody away from a promising law career, or anything like that :eek: Quite the opposite, actually - this is just a unique service that people can make work for themselves, it's automation tools, and a lot of them.

The idea is that, yes, you might have a dayjob, but if you're on here discussing and talking about clothes, then you might be someone likely to be able to channel that interest into something like this, creating your own designs and marketing them yourself. One, you get to dress yourself possibly, and two, it can create income. The reality of it is that if you go back and look at what I require of a prospective client, the actual time requirement is very little. If you're here posting on SF, you have time to do something like this. I am talking about taking on a huge a brunt of the work when it comes to making the actual products. Normally, it's a huge undertaking, a day job for people. In this scenario, using my services, one can be a part-time/free-time amateur designer and produce professional-level quality garments. This is not exactly a service that gets offered commonly, because well, most would charge a bunch of money to be a concierge of sorts for aspiring designers, so much normally that it'd preclude the cost of actually being able to do business, but that's pretty much what I'm talking about doing.
    Traditionally, you bring skills to the table, and the manufacturing side will follow your orders. Well, if you think you can design clothing, but don't have the technical skills in the middle, you're not going to get very far - that is what I can offer, and all things considered, it's pretty valuable. Initially I don't know what to ask for something like this, so I will just ask to be paid reasonably for my time and anybody else who gets outsourced work to be paid for theirs. If we see success from this project, then cost schedule is subject to change, of course.

Financially - if you did this smartly, rather than throwing a bunch of money at it to make something that only you want (which is not a good way to go about making products to sell) - you can expect to invest very little in the scheme of things and quickly recoup costs and expand exponentially. I did it on $300, 3 years ago. Realistically, someone using my consultation should expect to use at least a couple, if not a few thousand dollars to start, to do one design. From there, if the piece is a commercial success, the profits and possibilities quickly grow exponentially. The markup in clothing is up to the seller. It usually affords both growth and income.

The best way to make clothing is to not dream up some single jawn you want to add to the outfit you're wearing at the moment - think of something people would want to wear, and actually purchase - then do the numbers in reverse, think of how much it'd cost at a boutique, how much that boutique would pay you for wholesale, how much margin you want to make from cost to wholesale, and then how much the thing actually costs when it's in your hands. You gotta punch numbers. The good news, is that the sky is the limit, theoretically, and yes the price can be named based on what you need out of it. The bad news is, there's levels of quality you can put into something, and you pay different amounts each time. What people will pay for something is also somewhat dialed in psychologically. The market is fairly tight, economies of scale are employed, and beginner designers doing things traditionally typically gamble large amounts of money to make large runs in order to employ economies of scale, multiplied by the number of unique things they want to make; it's very high risk, and usually not that high of a return. I have methods and advice to give to people to circumvent the traditional risks and financial requirements.

Again, I would probably reject any proposals if it seems like the person is just trying to make custom clothing for themselves or individuals, this is not what this service is about. It's not a discount custom clothing store. You should be prepared to pay for and handle at least 100 pieces of the same design in each production run. What I am saying is that if you don't try purposely make unsellable things, then selling is mostly easy, and the costs pay for themselves in multiple. In money terms, it's an extremely low-risk, high-potential investment. On the other hand, everybody can't expect to be able to do everything, so yeah, not every person is going to be able to try this and find success. I am not making any kinds of guarantees on possible profits or success, but I am saying that I envision good outcomes, based on my own experiences. It's really not too hard at all.

All of this, well, it's rather obtuse, but I don't know how to put it any other way - I also need to put it into word form like this so that the people who are bound to understand it, can, and I don't get myself involved with people who misread this to think I'm gonna help them make print tees or something. You guys know what I make, you know how they're made and what the finished product looks like; I am not going to be having people making TOJs, they are going to be developing their own designs. I am putting my development skills and backlog of resources into helping people achieve a means to realizing their creative ideas, and then possibly helping them find ways to sell it so that they can see organic and sustainable growth from their creations so that it all goes upward.

Last edited: May 30, 2012