TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

2. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

Ah, the 4-zip looks like a civilised version of the 2010DR. Now that's something I can get behind. :slayer:

3. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Damn, imagine that in a red or even green calf with silver zips :nodding:

4. Kross

Kross Senior member

Hope I get tracking for mine this week!

5. Nil

Nil Senior member

Ah well. Looks like I won't be getting a pair then.

6. otc

otc Senior member

I finalized my order and paid....here's what I did for the 4zip mdr in black lamb:

my measurements (6'1.5", 195-200lbs)
    Shoulder 18 or 18.5
    Chest 43 (though I measured again right before ordering and could find more like 43.5 or even 44 depending how I held the tape).
    Midsection 36
    Waist 37
    Front Length 24.5 to about mid-rise on my jeans
    Sleeve 24
    Bicep 14 and 1/8

Here's what Charly and I worked out as jacket measurments:
    shoulders 18.5"
    chest (pit-to-pit) 23.3"
    midsection 19.5"
    waist 20.0"
    body length, front 23.4"
    body length, back 25.6"
    sleeve length, from shoulder 25.5"
    sleeve width @ pit 7.5"
    sleeve width @ elbow 6.6"
    sleeve width @ cuff 5.6"

Its basically what he suggested plus a little more chest after measuring again (and being paranoid that the chest wouldn't work) and a little more width at the elbow since I pinned a shirt to the measurements and thought it would be impossible to bend my arm in leather. Anyone see somethign worth changing? I think it should work out fine.

7. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

We're getting close to the deadline here, just a couple days left to order; there is lots to say but I have time to go over that stuff later. Mostly, about TOJ clothes - the future is not decided yet, Charly and Dan and I still haven't decided when we will come back to work once current orders are done and we go on a true vacation. I plan to come back with a collection or collections (the pieces to which I have thought up already), rather than the piecemeal MTM things we have had before, it will be different. In this game there is always room for something new, changes, improvements, etc.

I do have news about a new TOJ product that will be available pretty much as of now, except it's not clothes this time, per se. What I am talking about this time is something I talked about quite awhile ago, and now I'm coming back to it with a clearer, more refined package - that is, I am going to start offering TOJ production services to interested/suitable parties. This is not individual stuff, this is more for b2b, but here's where it gets interesting

3 years ago, I really pretty much rolled out of bed one day and things just started clicking for me, I jumped through some hoops and figured out how to make clothes - what I realize in hindsight is that if I had some amount of help in doing all of this, it would've been so much easier. Anyway, I did not, and it was a trial by fire everytime, even though I wasn't exactly pioneering anything. It's just that a lot of info in this game is compartmentalized, opinions, outdated, completely wrong sometimes, it just doesn't always match up with what one wants to do with their creative aspirations. Anyway, I feel in the end it was successful, I have a few strengths that came in handy, and there was a lot of good info I learned along the way. I can make all kinds of clothes now, and I will continue to do so later.
    Over the course of time though, I got a LOT of emails, pm's, facebook messages, just strangers asking me how I got into doing all of this, and how they could too; obviously there wasn't really a good answer to just hand out like a pamphlet, but they were all mostly going in the same direction with that. Clearly there is a divide between aspiring to be a designer and actually producing merchandise to sell on your own.

What I am going to offer is this - I will offer my base of knowledge in producing clothes as a consultation service. I had talked about this before, but I can offer a turnkey service to aspiring designers, people interested in producing high-quality clothing either in Japan, or possibly in Korea (at different rates, but mostly similar, it just depends on the textile and speciality at hand) - at this rate, I am looking for people who really want to produce their designs, rather than just dabblers; I will work at each design with the client on a per-design basis, production being factory-made in small to large lots.

What is needed of a prospective client;
    -design ideas
    -sketches, some sort of basic guideline
    -funding for production and consultation fees
    -a private business set up and appropriate sales channel; I can help with this somewhat, if needed, on an advisory level.

that's it.

What I can provide in order to realize the merchandise:
    -I can help develop your ideas via patterning, details, textile consultation, anything to make a sketch a reality.
    -design advice on a limited basis (the designs and ideas are your own, though - I will not be inputting my own designs into your projects)
    -from design stage, I will take your designs and specs after agreeing upon them to the factory level, and have them produced professionally at the best factories you can afford. I have a long logbook of manufacturing contacts, the work of many of whom you are probably already familiar with if you frequent this board.
    -merchandise can be priced and shipped FOB to wherever you are, ready to sell via your own sales channels
    -I have a tax number in Japan with respectable company data that will facilitate production with famous name factories; without this the production agreements usually do not happen.
    - no technical skills required of client

That sounds complicated, but basically, what it boils down to is this; if you have ever aspired to design your own clothing, if you think you can make a good product and can sketch it out, and fund an inital run including sampling and associated production costs - I can assist in making your sketches turnkey to result in realized merch that you can sell. The costs of my services will be a tiny fraction of the possible take, so the potential here is large if you can do numbers.

It's a good opportunity, but not for most. I am just putting this out there because the emails I got over the years kept asking the same thing, and I have both the time and place to do something like this now. I wish I had something like this when I was starting out, but it never existed, at least at a reasonable rate to me. I had people willing to rip me off and not deliver quality product, but with my setup, what I want is to really deliver quality garments, even if you are a beginner with just ideas. Contact me either through the TOJ email or find me on facebook to speak further on the TOJ production consultation. Shops and boutiques are also welcome to enquire about possible production of house labels and merch. We have research and production experience in leathers, coats, shirts, bags, hand-tailored wear, and limited sampling experience in more.

8. CSCoHammers7

CSCoHammers7 Senior member

^ Really cool, would love to see someone rise to the occasion and take advantage of this. Experience is invaluable.

9. fungz0r

fungz0r Senior member

Just wondering, what is the ballpark price ranges for production in Korea and Japan?

10. impolyt_one

It's also potentially really high return, and in a worse case scenario, it's still fairly low risk. One would have to have some bad ideas to lose money on it, and I'd probably stop you at the design point in the process before that ever happened.

also, forgot to mention, the production will be primarily Japanese-based, but doesn't require travel to Japan, unless you just feel like it.
    If you have an iPhone and an internet connection, a pen and some napkins, that's about all the equipment you need. More is better, for everything, obviously, but it doesn't require extravagance. I am, however, looking for people who are interested in producing a line of some sort from the outset. It doesn't need to be a gamble in the traditional clothes retailing sense and I can advise on this, but a) to reap appropriate profit you should expect to sell a diversified basket, and b) this is a great opportunity to break away and see a huge return on investment if you have some aesthetic sensibilities you feel like exercising.

11. impolyt_one

depends entirely on the exact item, textile, pattern complexity and details, and quantity. Basically anything, until I know exactly what it is to be made. Factory made stuff is fairly priced though, if you think of things in terms of their retail prices. There is room for a producer to move around, and if you are a one-man designer/retailer, there is quite a bit of money on the table to reap, rather than the traditional fashion houses with many workers needing payment. I'm offering an opportunity to do a very pure one-man designer/retailer setup, with as few hands in the till as possible; this is something that just hasn't existed before at this level. Normally this kind of knowledge is internalized and not shared, but I feel there's not much harm in using it productively.

12. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

what about jewelry?

13. impolyt_one

yeah, actually - weird thing is that I don't have experience in making jewelry before, but I've thought about it from the level of 'oh I could sketch this and possibly sculpt a model before striking in silver' level production. I lived on the Navajo reservation for a year when I was a kid (long story) and I have an uncle who has lived out there as a teacher for almost 40 years, he has some connects on silversmithing. I was going to exercise that for TOJ on my own someday but I can do some middleman stuff there if needed. 925 silver and then turquoise and coral, that kind of stuff.

14. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

lol long story. this is a great opportunity for people. ive got a few things i wouldnt mind showing you :eek:
    its basically stuff that i want to wear but cant find designers making them to my specs. im sure a few stores here would like to sell locally designed stuff...

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  15. impolyt_one

yeah it is a fun prospect. I don't want/ won't be able to make it a free for all for people, and basically I am here to help the right someone(s) make a lot of money off this while I make my meal ticket, but what I want or at least dream of in this situation is being able to unearth some sort of person who has never considered the possibility of this before, and then producing them into a designer overnight. It's similar to how I did it 3 years ago, except i had to do it on my own. I think it would be fun and rewarding, I think there is somebody out there who could both rise to the challenge and also reap their own success, and I have just the right advice and resources at every turn now. I seriously envision someone who just makes rough sketches on paper, without the ability to get it all made into real clothes, and stepping in and making it a reality. I feel like there are a lot of people like that out there, actually.

Last edited: May 29, 2012