TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. otc

otc Senior member

Thanks. I do like the motos, but the fact that I already have an armored moto (that I frequently wear with a collared shirt) is one of the main things pushing me towards the MDR. Seems hard to justify having leather jacket #2 be a trimmer cut version of jacket #1. I highly doubt that I would be trying to wear it to the office on one of the 4 mandatory biz-cas days of the week so that's not really at issue.
    The main issue for me is probably working with the black. I think the MDR looks best in black (except maybe some awesome whiskey) but its hard to conceptualize that in with the fact that I have worn very little black aside from dress shoes in the last couple of years.

Is there a big durability difference between lamb and calf? I know calf is a lot tougher but what how they handle getting spilled/rained on? From some posts in this thread, it sounds like lamb doesn't like getting wet all that much while calf doesn't really care.

2. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

Awaiting bball for fit comparison and perhaps brown lamb or goat A2, will be cutting it close, but if I don't make the cut-off it's money saved, if only for later purchases.

Funny shit LTTP

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  3. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Drew, I appreciate you guys accommodating my desires and changes. I'm sure I would have been happy with a few things off the stock catalog, no doubt about that. However, I am 100% sure I would not have 7 ToJ today if I did not have the opportunity to tweak a few things to make them mesh with my style better. For example, I know that I would simply not wear a DR with all the hardware, zips and snaps - it's not my style, I'm too old for this and at my age, a regular DR just looks costumey and unnatural. Cleaning it up by removing the hardware makes it wearable for me - I would have 0 ToJ DRs, now I have 2. Not that there's anything wrong with that - it's part of a brand's raison d'être to serve the customers that fit its aesthetic, the ones that don't will gravitate towards other products that mesh better with their looks & life. So, having that possibility to tweak and customize bridged your offerings, quality and customer service with what I consider as working for my wardrobe - you sold more and I bought more.

I'm eager to see what's next for the brand, new models, etc... I'm sure I'll always find a few things that work for me off the bat - because I know and understand your general inspiration and I like what I see (even when they're products I don't feel are right for me)

4. APK

APK Senior member

You don't? Wasn't navy one of the colors still available in lamb according to Charly a couple weeks back?

5. otc

otc Senior member

I've been reading through the last several hundred pages of this thread to answer my questions and get inspiration...and I'm laughing at the occasional low post count person getting really worked up over delivery times.

I understand that everybody wants their stuff but this is what happens with custom work beyond getting your lands end chinos custom hemmed to 32.25". I'm waiting on a bicycle that was slated for delivery in april 2011 and while I have finally held the completed and painted frame in my hands, I still have no bicycle. I'm not happy--I'd love to have it right now and have only paid half price for it--but that's just how it goes. when somebody is making your shit by hand.

6. NotClever

NotClever Senior member

The delivery time stuff seems to just be because people took the website suggestion of shipping time as gospel truth rather than bothering to ask what the lead time actually was, I think. When I got fidgety I just emailed to ask how it was looking and got a recalibrated estimate.

7. otc

otc Senior member

Drew's dark brown goat MDR idea is starting to pull its way into the front of my head.

Anyone have pictures of anything in the dark brown goat (or even just a swatch?) I'm trying to find one to see what the grain looks like but am not having any luck

8. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

9. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

10. johanm

johanm Senior member

Have people got tracking numbers today? 9 weeks on my CM as of today, getting anxious...

11. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

12. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Dude's not really getting worked up though, just asking what types of jackets shipped out this week.

Good read catching up on this thread this morning :)

13. otc

otc Senior member

I can see how people end up owning a bunch of these (often with only minute variations)....

I'm pretty sure that what I should be buying first is a black lamb MDR to get the right piece and get the real TOJ experience...but all of these other ideas are so tempting.

14. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

I'm just glad they said "no" when I wanted a blacked out, black lamb, VTG DR but with the conv. cuffs. The (bad) designer within me thought it was a good choice, but in hindsight, it would have been an absolutely terrible frankenstein jacket. Instead I got a moto, which I can't help but crack a smile everytime I slide it on.

So against my normal "judgement", I decided to just go all in and get a color that I would never have ever ever ever ever thought of in a jacket--Bottle Green. I'm hoping I don't end up looking like a ninja turtle or whatever, but I got to trust when they say that the bottle green calf is most likely the best leather they have ever got--better than the Italian whiskey calfs and maybe even better than that Olive calf, which was dubbed "the nicest jacket they ever made". So, I'm excited, we shall see. [​IMG]

15. pinedust

pinedust Well-Known Member

Just sent my measurements in! I'm giving myself a graduation gift and looking to get a black calfskin double rider.