TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. umhaha84

umhaha84 Senior member

I used to intern for this company called YOUNGONE, unknown company but they manufacture more than 50% of northface products, as well as nike, etc etc,
    KOLON was one of their biggest supplier for technical shells,

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012

2. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

3. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

yeah, the North Face is a sprawling brand and they license in Korea and don't really care; they make gore-tex for Korea but also make Kolon duspo pieces and stuff like that, just a cost concern, likewise Nike. Kind of funny because the North Face is pretty much in bed with Gore, it seems like.

4. Two Shoes

Two Shoes Senior member

[​IMG]

UMDR. Basically a stock 50 with +2 length.

Was terrified of ordering too small so gave myself a little wiggle room. I'm hoping the sleeves will stack nicely as the leather settles but they may be too long. The cuffs flare because there is no zipper keeping them snug to the forearm. I know it's contrary to the whole idea of a UMDR in the first place but I may add another snap on each cuff to keep them tidy.

I'm probably 10lbs over what I usually weigh and plan to trim down to my normal weight. With that in mind, and after seeing how this jacket fits, I think my next TOJ I'll size down to a 48 and maybe only add +1 in length.

5. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

6. Two Shoes

Two Shoes Senior member

How so?

Edit: BTW isn't your jacket the epitome of customization? Not trying to be antagonistic just trying to get some clarification for what you meant.

7. GBear

GBear Senior member

Why did you add any length at all? Those sleeves are easily 2" too long. Everything else is good.

8. Two Shoes

Two Shoes Senior member

Measured my arms, measured another jacket I have and sent measurements to Charly.

EDIT: The other jacket I measured does have long sleeves ala RO.

9. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

the fit isnt that bad, all things considered; I am just kinda spooked by Two Shoes' photoshop face and now I have to sleep.... :fu:

10. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

You're right, my jacket is heavily customized (and I'm thankful that it came out so well), but the only change I made to the actual "design" was the compass pocket on the front. Other than that, it was just material changes (concho snaps, anaconda skin).

The UMDR does not really work zipped all the way up like this. By removing all of the hardware the only visual interest left on the jacket is the lapels, but when zipped all the way up like this we lose that completely and are left with a fairly uninteresting wall of leather. I also think that such a "sleek" jacket is only going to work on the very slender, but that's just my preference. I was kinda suspicious of this design from the start, and my worries were confirmed: it looks sleek and sexy photoshopped onto a hanger, but doesn't work so well in the real world. In particular, the issue highlighted by the lack of sleeve zipper is regrettable.

And of course, the sizing issues would likely not have occurred had you had a fixed set of measurements to choose from.

11. omgcookielol

omgcookielol Senior member

Let me explain.

Your jacket looks really bad.

First bolded part was the unnecessary mistake that led to an undesirable fit. You dont have to worry about sleeves being too long or short if you follow instructions on the website and listen to the advice that they give. All you have to do is submit accurate measurements, and If you measured yourself correctly, Charly will set you up with the proper sleeve length. Stacking only looks good on jackets with ribbed cuffs/bombers. If what you wanted was attractive creasing, it will develop on a properly sized jacket
    Second bolded part is where you're blindly poking your head into the TOJ kitchen, making changes to the original jacket, and taking it further away from Drew's vision. I think that a lot of people here can already see that this future jacket you have in mind will probably be a train wreck. From the looks of it, you're trying to achieve something like a leather shirt with an assymetrical zipper running up the front. :/

12. IronKnochs

IronKnochs Senior member

I don't think his jacket looks ridiculously bad, I'm sure it'd look better zipped normally.

A true sizing disaster:

[​IMG]

13. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

^ On the plus side, on the chance that he ever grows 5", it should fit rather well.

Two shoes please post a fit with the jacket zipped only half way like you'd normally wear it. Other than the sleeves and being just a tad big, I don't think it's that bad. I think we should reserve further judgement until seeing him wear it properly -- brad's comment about the wall of leather is definitely correct for the way this jacket got styled. Sleeves can be fixed, right?

14. Two Shoes

Two Shoes Senior member

Yeah the sleeves are probably too long. Next time, I'll keep the sleeves stock and probably size down a touch in the body. But this wasn't a case of poking noses in the TOJ kitchen. This is a design Drew has approved and agreed to make for people- he's shot plenty of other ideas down. I followed all instructions on the website for sizing (both body and a different jacket) and sent measurements to Charly. Then waited without a peep for it show up.

Sometimes you nail it, sometimes you don't. I think I came close enough that it looks ok and that, with some tweaks, my next one will be perfect. It's just unfortunate that it is the inherent nature of this process that sometimes it costs a lot of money to get to the perfect fit.

Thanks for the responses.

15. johanm

johanm Senior member

I think it looks good - very good in the body and a little too long in the sleeves (probably less noticeable in real life).

I don't see how this is an argument against MTM sizing, because if you had longer arms then this would be a perfect fit and a stock fit would be too short. The lack of sleeve zip in the UMDR is an argument against customization, however, as that is the type of flaw that Drew would probably have ID'ed during the sample/testing stage.