1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

1 person likes this.
  2. wizzeak

wizzeak Senior member

Buying used TOJ is nearly as expensive as just getting it brand new, so I'm kind of set on just buying it new now and pretty much ensuring a good fit and perfect condition (oh yeah, and supporting TOJ while I'm at it :embar:). But "winter 2012" is like... well there's 4 more weeks of 2012. I'm assuming this date hasn't changed and is kind of set in stone?

And has anyone gotten hit with crazy duty fees? I can't imagine having to pay duty on a $700 item

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. sexonfabric

sexonfabric Senior member

I think about 2 people in the history of TOJ have paid fees. I haven't been hit by our over zealous customs here in the UK on any of my 3 jackets.

4. Renalan

Renalan Senior member

[​IMG]

Something about asians and ToJ.

28 people like this.
  5. IronKnochs

IronKnochs Senior member

Well, one of the more enticing things about buying second hand TOJ is avoiding the wait.

6. wizzeak

wizzeak Senior member

meh. Personally, I can wait. Time really does fly but I do understand that not having to wait is a big deal. But I also just don't think that skipping a 3 month(?) waiting period is enough to justify buying a used and not made to measure jacket at only a few dollars off retail.

7. chaos

chaos Senior member

nice plug there with that peacoat in your sig....

3 people like this.
  8. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Man, people are really impatient.

9. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

is that potrero hill in san francisco?

10. 13k

13k Senior member

I've experienced B&S TOJ first hand before buying from TOJ direct and it leaves you with a feeling of wanting just that little bit more. Yes people provide measurements for you on the listings but you don't really quite get the accurate sizing down. You really won't know how the fit will be like until your package arrives. The different materials, the way it was cut, and the drape may not fit you well- all because it was made to spec. for the previous owner. I'm not saying that there aren't success stories from B&S but they are pretty rare. Yes you save a few bucks, but you can never really get it down to the exact measurements that you would like and it really makes you want an extra detail or two that you really wish you had. It is one thing to see the measurements on paper and another to actually experience the thought process behind an extra few inches here and there via e-mails with TOJ. The TOJ process really is that much better to provide your measurements and have Charly "fit" it for you. The service they provide is really something, and definitely worth the wait.

11. Renalan

Renalan Senior member

hayes valley

12. el Bert

el Bert Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

Bottle green 2010 DR kinda hard to capture the color and sizing but I tried

5 people like this.
  13. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Should be quite a few ToJ owners in the SF Bay Area.

2 people like this.
  14. gong

gong Senior member

Not really, some people have waited as long as 6 months. That's a long time to wait for a jacket.

2 people like this.
  15. omgcookielol

omgcookielol Senior member

Because online shopping was a total disaster before TOJ came through with an MTM option.

If you have a general idea of the fit you want, and the length you'll need, there's nothing wrong with buying from B&S. My first jacket was from B&S, and even though it wasn't skintight, it fit/looked good on me. If you usually wear a 46 in everything else, you'll want a 46 in TOJ. Fit disasters only happen when people can't measure their best fitting jacket to compare it to the listing.

edit: my first wasn't skintight. :embar:

16. 13k

13k Senior member

Wasn't saying that as a generalization that about online shopping but about toj products on B&S. There definitely isn't anything wrong with B&S either. Most of what you stated is pretty obvious but for first timers on jackets you can't just base off "size 46 chart." Material thickness cannot be underestimated when trying to fit a jacket. Most people who list B&S list measurements of the outside (may not even be that trustworthy) and when you actually get the jacket may fit too tight because you didn't/can't compensate for material thickness. Obviously the risk of it all is there in B&S and when it really comes down to it paying 5-600 for a B&S jacket vs. full price isn't very much difference when you get exactly what you want.

17. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

there haven't been size charts for years....

3 people like this.
  18. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Actually, Drew, there are still size charts on the John Coppidge website.

Anyway, I think Drew's really right about sizing. Most people just don't need MTM, and this thread fusses about it way way too much. Suit style width x height is good enough for the vast majority of people.

1 person likes this.
  19. gong

gong Senior member

Most people don't need a $700 leather jacket but it's available and within means.

1 person likes this.
  20. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

These are different applications of the word "need" lol