TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Been awhile, it's one of the reasons why I moved to Japan really - I felt I had shored up a bit of game in clothes making (and understanding the directive side of maneuvering people on the cutting room floor) - and I was ready for Japan.... So I wanted to combine Japanese textile (great, fairly priced) with Japanese labor and manufacture, which is good across the board but can be great when combined with the right materials and vision - I have been kinda nosing around seeing where I can make clothes, and it seems everywhere is pretty open to doing business with me. I just got off the line with Toyo and it appears I might be able to make some MA-1's and likeminded pieces with them. The fit would be TOJ, the quality would be like Buzz Rickson's, could it get any better? :eek: Think along those lines, that is where we're going...

2. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

3. malaujai

malaujai Senior member

Any update on sunglasses? I remember you mentioned talking to someone in the industry or something similar before...

4. impolyt_one

Quite possibly, would like to reflect a new beginning, it's like going from high school to college and getting to become more 'individual' -lol

5. impolyt_one

I haven't met with that guy yet, he's always busy because he manages J-pop singers and one of his stars is crazy and the other manager quit or something, so he's been going to work 7 days a week and pulling 18 hour days...

6. hhenryhhh

hhenryhhh Senior member

I am speechless.

7. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

I wonder if ToJ 2.0 will put out The Perfect Duffel Bag

and maybe something in deerskin :D

A boy can dream...

8. nineohtoo

nineohtoo Senior member

I think it's a good decision to go OTR. It seems most of the fits don't benefit that much from MTM, and I feel like certain options/combos people have chosen were really nowhere near as nice as the samples. Fortunately I fit a stock 44 just fine, so I've got no worries down the line.

But, BR level MA-1? Best thing to officially come out of this thread in weeks. I need to step up my Cayce Pollard Units and this would probably do just the thing.

9. Cahrin

Cahrin Senior member

Fairly dissapointing that MTM is going away. I've never been able to buy anything of any real substance OTR due to weird proportions (even more modern fitted stuff is 2+ inches long in the arm). I recently received my first ToJ and it fits pretty much perfectly and I couldn't be happier with the quality, but realistically owning any clothing item of this quality is not something I could ever imagine doing if it wasn't MTM. Ultimately it's just a shame for guys like me that the MTM vision got lost in the details, because I'm perfectly happy with the "OTR" design aspects. I really feel that a lot of what you're buying into when you purchase a piece regardless of whether it's a leather jacket or something else is the design and the details.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  10. umhaha84

umhaha84 Senior member

i'm too lazy to follow up on 100+ posts, but I'm guessing MTM will be gone?
    I'm somewhat glad to see this, which means possibility of exchange just in case?
    also, if this could speed up the production time it'll be a huge plus.

11. Razele

Razele Senior member

Ugh Buzz Rickson x ToJ MA-1 would be amazing

Drew had said before MTM is out in the future, I don't know why people are surprised lol

12. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

hmm...i think it might speed it up a little, but not enough to make it significant. the bottleneck is still the production speed. my guess as to how orders will be processed is that drew will release a model, take size orders, put in the order, and then ship them out as they are made. the process will be sped up because it is completely streamlined now, as they are making stock sizes instead of a custom one for each order. however, realistically speaking, the time it takes to make a single piece will not change so significantly that it will alter production times altogether. maybe a week or two faster, but i doubt any more than that. though in a different light, that can seem much faster...

13. istasi

istasi Senior member

Think you guys missed the part where Drew said no/significantly reduced lead time..

EDIT: My bad nahneun, misread your post.

14. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

didn't know he said that, but i just said the same thing...it's kind of easy to infer from drew's previous posts about his production model...

15. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

so when exactly will MTM end? I`d like to get my order in before then