TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

lol- just blew my TOJ fund on the wedding. idiot!

2. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Is it too late to return the ring?

3. computurd

computurd Senior member

Ive been really itching for another leather

I have a 2010 Bomber and 2011 moto in black

The double riders have been growing on me a lot lately, the double rider vest body is probs my fave or the 2010 version and maybe a CWU in brown

Would the goatskin look and feel good with the 2010 DR, like is it soft and stuff? How much does it cost in comparison to the lamb

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012

4. smashwindow

smashwindow Senior member

When would the Bball be back on the menu?

5. ribkin

ribkin Senior member

I hope my A2 is in that batch :nodding:

6. MJP2448

MJP2448 Well-Known Member

I purchased a Double Rider from TOJ a few months ago. I had to wait awhile for the jacket to arrive but I must say the wait was worth it. I ordered mine in black calfskin and the leather was so rich and high quality, durable yet supple. I'd almost take the liberty of saying that the calfskin is almost as soft and rich as my friends' Varvatos calfskin jacket. In addition to the quality of the leather the design was amazing. This jacket is well made, unlike anything I've seen. If you're reluctant to making a purchase with TOJ I'd say go for it. It is by far the best leather jacket I've ever owned and I've had a lot from many top designers.

7. smashwindow

smashwindow Senior member

could there possibly be a batch of bball in time for summer?

8. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Lol, dude settle a bit. I don't think Drew is even awake right now to answer you. With that said, when's the bball coming back? :happy: Insta-cop, credit card bills be damned.

I see this is your first post here, so welcome. There's a rule though that you can't talk about your jacket without positing fit pics :nodding:

9. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

I was going to buy the TOJ trousers almost exactly to do this. Black TOJ1 with navy trousers + black shoes.

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Scalability is a bitch. This is actually the tough part. I know a fair number of designers who have faltered at this part. Sometimes, they recovered, sometimes, they did not. This is where a really good production manager who knows the factories, is hard as nails, and is loyal, becomes super important.

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I think that Ken is a Parson's grad. He could probably come up with tons of "conceptual" ideas, and he has; but from experience, I can tell you that skeleton cardigans and shirts cut in atypical ways just don't sell. The big designers make these pieces for impact, and places like Maxfield will buy them, but smaller designers are forced to edit their work a lot more.

I'm just trying to put a finger on what you are looking for. Are you essentially looking for someone who hasn't had to deal with the realities of the marketplace yet? Who haven't had to deal with factories, fulfillment, making compromises, etc...? There are plenty of those people around. Finding someone with both real talent and the humility to learn craft is probably the difficult part.

12. Kross

Kross Senior member

Will my order for a 4zip be ok If I put it in for beginning of May Drew? This hiatus talk is scaring me lol.

13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

We're alright for what it is now, but yeah the current setup would not support going bigger. I could use some more firepower on that side because I leave the production up to Dan and we just end up going through the same 10-odd people all the time. I have wanted to expand that network for 3 years and get even more production capability (not necessarily the same stuff, just an A-team of sorts) but it hasn't really happened.

Well, conceptual is not to equate to unsellable crazy masturbatory design products - I am just talking making things deeper, adding sweetness or some sort of complexity to the whole picture. Art direction, maybe. The opposite of what snowman tried to do a couple pages back - that kind of stuff I have been doing on my own, it's not a problem. I am talking about things that aren't that, basically.

14. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

Correct if I get this wrong, are you looking for someone who is going to say... 'this year is about this theme (luxe coalmining/crab fishing/jet fighter pilots/schoolboys with a twist)'? Someone who, rather than make individual pieces, is going to conceptualise an entire world that these clothes would occupy and fit coherently into?

15. bakatora

bakatora Senior member

CWU-45 in black lamb or black goat?