TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Is something like this possible or even in the scope of your designs/style?
    Ever since I saw Nicelynice in his Geller denim shirt, I've been looking for one alike or better.
    Something dark denim/indigo...maybe even darker almost black but still shades of navy.
    Since you spoke about making denim bottoms, perhaps something like this as well?

[​IMG]

Alternate color:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

2. omgcookielol

omgcookielol Senior member

How heavy were the original suede daypacks?

3. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

See spoiler:

Of course a shirt's not a jacket... so what do I know.​

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

4. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Oh missed that. Thank you then

5. nineohtoo

nineohtoo Senior member

Traded my CWU-45/P for a washed lamb 2010 DR :D

[​IMG]

I think it fits better, and suits my footwear more(I think the fresh lamb looked too nice compared to my beat up sneakers and boots). I sort of wish I had gone with this to begin with. The gingham lining doesn't feel as good as the sateen one though. Oh well, still looks dope.

6. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

good trade, wth happened to your hair : (

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Drew, how about Ken Chow, the man behind Krane? Very talented designer - has actually worked with Marc Jacobs and with Cloak (it was he who told me that Geller was the stylist, and Phlokov the tailor, not the other way around, like a lot of people believe), and I think that he dislikes the compromises that financial constraints have made him have to make (for example, he had some expensive weaving techniques that he had to abandon because they were making his pieces just too expensive.) I could get the two of you in touch.

8. Razele

Razele Senior member

Yeah my old krane bomber from FW08 was awesome, the woven elastic side panels were a great touch, the details on that jacket were amazing, just too warm though, the lining is a blanket lol

9. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

10. GBear

GBear Senior member

Makes me want a CWU...

11. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

good fit nineohtoo, really good fit actually. Love how the placket crosses and then the quarters open up like that.

12. ji12

ji12 Member

What kind of fur does a 2010 bomber have? Rabbit, Raccoon?

Margiela CWU is nothing compared to TOJ...

13. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Except in price :teach:

14. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Well, something like that, but not Ken - he's too advanced for what I am looking for, tbh. He already has his own thing going and is good at it, and beyond that, I think he represents this healthy balance of stylist/tailor (if what he's making is him mostly solo) maybe with a leaning sort of what I see in myself already. I think we share some similar tastes and we often move in a similar direction in terms of the clothes we like to make - I feel that in some ways, someone like Ken would just be doubling up on a lot of aspects, which is unnecessary. I'm looking for a complementary role that meshes with mine, with little overlap. Also, I think I need to work with someone younger with a fresher energy and interest in Mode or casual, as I move onto interests in more sophisticated clothing - that could also be a nice pairing.
    I've only briefly looked at Ken's work tbh, but I think if I could overcome some of the sillier aspects about TOJ and attempted that much work on my own, I could do something to similar effect. I feel like tailoring with a good helping of aesthetic direction, that I already have - I'm looking for the conceptual, the seasoning, and then the graphic design portion (maybe separately, like in terms of packaging - though I think the same person might be able to do that too, depends I guess)

What I am looking for really, and I said this basically - I think it's your average fashion school type, the kind of young kid with tons of selfish energy and the ability to come up with a lot of packaged conceptual ideas, theme ideas, maybe a graphic direction - which I feel I am weak at, but I also feel that particular kind of mindset is common amongst fashion school kids. Then, on the flip side of that, I'm saying this person may be great at the stylistic things and maybe even giving it a fun name - but not able to fully hash out the idea into wearable, buyable, quality clothing, which is where I'd step in. I'd take the shallower ideas and dig them deeper til we get to 'nice clothes'
    My wife went to fashion school awhile back and has basically confirmed the same thing I'm saying/feeling - that in the 4 years that she went, everybody was focused on the superficial, the styling, the personal expressions... but she never met anyone like me, someone focused on the inside-out way of making clothes. She's fairly critical of me and of the TOJ clothes, so I feel she isn't expressing that as a compliment to me, it's just a statement. I went to the same school a couple weeks ago for graduation presentations and I felt the same upon seeing the concept presentations. Lots of ideas (not that they were great, but still, they were creations) but none hashed out to the painstaking level of detail or complexity I always try to go for.
    It's like, and I asked this question a page back - what do you do when you start from scratch, a blank sheet of paper? I need someone who can churn out rough sketches of looks for us to edit down to the good ones, and then I can use my talent in being able to organize and visualize a piece and bring it into focus. Like taking a stylized drawing and then putting the construction and seams where they should be, knowing the tricks to make fabrics and leathers sit/stand the way they need to, all the bits and bobbles. Turning animation into realization.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012

15. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

x-post. Black lamb UMDR on a cool, rainy night

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012