TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

Drew, since you are coming to America, could you make a quick stop by argentina (it´s only like 12 thousand km away from the US) and take some measurements for a jacket? I don´t have the money right now to buy one, but I want to have my measurements if I end up buying one in the future. Would that work? We can drink some mate while you´re here [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

will they let me drive the rental down there and back? Do you guys have good pho?

3. impolyt_one

cant remember when i last got a meal on a US domestic flight. :(

oh shit, nm, I think I got a chicken salad sandwich when I flew to NY last summer and it was cuz I paid to bump to first. Strangely when I go to LA (which is a longer flight by an hour and a half I think) they never do meal service.

4. impolyt_one

Having flashbacks of sitting next to a guy in an MD80 three-fer row who looked exactly like the Zimmermann asshole who killed Trayvon, who brought in a whole 16" pizza and a 44oz drink from the food court. mf'er ate the whole thing too.

5. memovox42

memovox42 Member

That's like saying if you wear a bomber and don't fly planes, it's lame; or that wearing a varsity and not being into athletics is lame.

6. smashwindow

smashwindow Senior member

Did you get it removed, I don't see it anymore
    srry bout that didn't realize it was a no no.

7. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

I'm pretty sure the only palatable thing I've eaten on an airplane was a cold sandwich. It wasn't anything I'd order if I was on the ground, but it was meat and some other stuff between two pieces of bread, and enough to get me through the flight.

The beer selection is almost universally disgraceful. I think I've seen Sierra Nevada on the menu once or twice, but it's almost always Bud Lite and other macrobrews of that ilk.

8. NotClever

NotClever Senior member

I don't think any airlines do meals on domestic flights in coach anymore. I think AA has snacks you can buy. Don't recall Southwest having anything except their pretzels and peanuts, but then again I only use them for <1 hour flights.

I've had beef in business on DFW > Narita flights within the past couple years. Not the best for sure, but palatable. I definitely look at it as "I need food and will eat whatever they give me."

9. impolyt_one

back to bags for a second, not really looking for suggestions or pics from other designers. Bag design is a little different from clothing design - people tend to latch onto certain themes in clothes and have a comfort zone, but with bags that is even more intense - there are far fewer themes for luggage design to draw from, and beyond that people will be drawn to particular form factors because of the functionality requirements.
    Think about women's purses and how often they draw on saddlery and equestrian themes, it's a major chunk of their discipline it appears. There are other themes but overall there's not many in total.
    I look at bag design much like chair design. With bags and chairs, yes, you can often say 'why can't I just make something abstract and kinda scuplt it as I go? what's stopping me?' - and sometimes people do that, but in the end the function is often very lacking or nonexistent. Ever seen design students attempt chairs? not always pretty, sometimes not even functioning as expected. :eek:
    I'm sitting in an Eames DAW right now, it's horrifically uncomfortable. Haven't felt good physically since I bought them. haha. Bag design doesn't need to fit your butt and your back, but there are plenty of comfort and ergonic concerns just the same, beyond the basic functions - a chair needs to support weight without collapsing, a bag needs to have a method of carriage. Rarely do I find a bag that is really comfortable to carry, I have mostly given up on bags myself. The price doesn't matter, the more expensive a bag gets I find, they're more for decoration and always uncomfortable to really use.

So, certain concerns get amplified as you make a product that is not meant to cover the body, but hang on it. There needs to be comfort and ergonomics, but gravity and durability can't be ignored. After all that, you gotta address what you started out to do, which is design an aesthetically pleasing bag. It's a juggling act, a lot different than clothing IMO. Footwear too, is completely different discipline, yada yada.

I liked my seabag idea, but in retrospect, I should've prototyped it at least once more if not two more iterations before I tried to sell it, and I guess the response I got (only one pre-order) gave me the feedback I needed and so we axed it. The original sample was ok, but I'd do some things differently in hindsight if I gave it another try.

The backpacks, they were fine except for the issue with the thinned green suede, didn't know about it til it came back to us because the guy thinned the hide on his own and didn't tell us. Disappointing mark on an otherwise good record. Like I said, if I make it again, I know now and they'd be fine. I have some mixed material ideas for it that would be great, just inquiring on some prices now. We undersold the suede ones at $285, as we usually do for first-run things. That wasn't enough to keep them going the first time.

10. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

And I'm pretty sure he's not driving 6 hours each way to measure me. That was said in jest and he didn't even take the bait :foo:

*edit* ignore this. Was lagging the convo a few pages, but I see we've moved on now as it should be. Sorry :)

11. smashwindow

smashwindow Senior member

[​IMG]
    Make something like this.

12. impolyt_one

I'd drink Sierra Nevada in a heartbeat, but I don't expect that much on a plane. I'd honestly be happier if they didn't try so hard to apply to some 1950's convention of trying to serve hot food when you're 4,000 meters up in the sky, it's been like 60 years right, the wow factor of instant meals isn't exactly there like it was when grandma first flew. I always get on the plane and wish, 'can't you guys just put together a 6" sandwich on reasonably crusty bread and some deli meat and cheese and a respectable side salad, some cut fruit and a cup of Haagen daz or something? I'll drink your table wine but no more microwave pasta please' They kinda do that if they try, but they always somehow mess it up too, half the meal is potato chips or they get too fancy with the sandwich and try to make a fauxnini or something. They're always trying to appeal to the chipotle ranch dressing crowd and forget about common sense.

13. impolyt_one

little bit too... I want to say Americana'ish in that particular aesthetic, for me? I envision myself turning out bags that look more finished and European, at least that is what I aspire to. I think a better match for the leather jackets, at least.

14. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

^^ Co-signed on all counts. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I see Sierra on an in-flight menu, or even at some airport bars. It's not one of my favorite beers, but it's categorically "good beer", and it usually makes the difference between enjoying a drink v. skipping the alcohol altogether.

One of my favorite parts of O'Hare is that the airport bars sell beer to go, so you can take it on your flight. Goose Island is local and plentiful there, too.

15. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

why doesn't everybody just buy an extra sandwich at the food court and take it on the plane? that's what I do. No mayo or anything so it doesn't get soggy. Maybe not working on a transoceanic flight but like, across the country it's np.