TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

haha yeah I'm not saying someone should attempt it, just that it would be interesting

2. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Yes. I think that about sums it up. E-props!

I'm sure it can easily be applied to the US, but it wasn't speaking a language I personally could understand. It was all unfamiliar magazine titles, making it basically meaningless to me. I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume many (most?) SF users didn't understand it. I only bring it up because I assume it was pretty insightful and it would be nice to know what it said. :)

3. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

designers are mostly pin dots, would make a scatter plot, and the outcome would be unique to styleforum's opinion. Not necessarily a good representation.

4. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

@pickpock it takes a minute to understand it because it's a pretty complex chart and helps if you google the magazine but I thought it was actually pretty insightful/representative.

5. impolyt_one

Back to Kent Money's statement, he was on about something regarding innovation equalling maybe what is 'technical' clothing and namedropped Isaora with White Mountaineering and Undercover - gotta dissect that and point out that a) WM doesn't find itself doing futurism, where maybe Isaora does, and UC (for particular pieces or within seasons, and not the brand itself - like I said, UC is hard to pigeonhole) may play with futurism. Futurism was a key word before, but I don't think it is now so much. If White Mountaineering makes a gore-tex mountaineering jacket, it's not because it's gore-tex (and therefor 'technical') (who has ever walked up to you and asked if you're wearing gore-tex or nylon? they've had nylon for like 100 years) and the thematic difference (which extends to the design) is not based in futurism, it's based in nostalgic, maybe 1970's (?) outdoor clothing. In that sense, a WM gore-tex mountain parka has more to do with New Balances, less to do with futurism, you see? There's a retro/ugly-cute (so ugly, it's cute) aesthetic discipline that exists independently from actual technical clothing, Isaora is more closely related to like, Acronym.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  6. impolyt_one

Oh, and I gotta tuck in for the night soon because I got some appointments in the morning, but I was gonna mention that we will discuss the viability of bringing the Bball jacket back in some form, and have an answer within this week.

7. impolyt_one

I will be way down in Newport Beach, thinking Saturday afternoon after lunch, about 2-3pm'ish. It could move up to LA but it depends on if other people take me up on this, gotta pull a geographic compromise.

8. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

love how drew leaves with a cliffhanger. gtg guys, but tune in next time for the bball episode, same toj time, same toj channel.

9. impolyt_one

One thing about UC, CDG - these brands are getting a lot of play on the internet lately, but they are often hard to summarize. You walk into the Undercover store, it's just, weird. That's the best way to describe UC. There's some friendlier items and stylings, but the mix gets fairly conceptual. The front of the UC store had been those fake 1970's grocery store plastic bags and the zippered food pochettes (that are like $300 each) for awhile, I mean that shit is not the technical fabric/watch window parkas that people want to think UC is. CDG is a huge sprawling label that goes on many things, the CDG stores can almost be considered small department stores. The range is that big. You go in there and it's Paul Harnden CDG, TAO, Junya, some straight CDG-labeled stuff, there's the endless doublename stuff and cross collabos, the small leather goods, the PLAY crap, Hommes Plus, Hommes Deux, and CDG shirt - you can say 'I like Junya' but CDG itself is more like a shopping experience.

10. candrew

candrew Senior member

I would make the drive down to Newport Beach if I have to, but I'd prefer not to. The time sounds fine. I'm assuming this is for the weekend of March 31? Or did you mean March 23, as in this coming Saturday? I'll shoot you an email when time/location is more settled.

11. impolyt_one

Yes, the 31st. Post here, as I don't handle the email, Charly does.

12. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

There are other reasons to buy clothing? :eh:

13. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

yeah, I'm already planning to do the 80s thing and paint bauhaus or some such on the back of whichever one I pick up.

14. aether

aether Senior member

it seems like your saying that innovation = futurism? what would you consider an innovative design? what about the CKC megaman jackets?

I said that I felt isaora, WM, and UC were innovative an interesting. for example, that one convertible UC leather jacket that came out (I think the sleeves zipper off) is unique and interesting, but it's not conceptually crazy. it's pretty wearable. i wasn't necessarily speaking about the fabrics.

15. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

lol.. You know, that's exactly how I wear my shit, though. OCBDs, Chinos, Alden Jumpers.. and I plan to do a ToJ on top of all that (maybe not a Raf, but whatever.. ) With my mohawk, it'll be like 1989 all over again.

Speaking of which, I made out with a girl Saturday night listening to an early Cure album. How fucking high school is that?