TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Three armed jacket sounds freakin....AWESOME!!! [​IMG]

2. sexonfabric

sexonfabric Senior member

So amidst all this...has the first artishard slipped out yet?

3. candrew

candrew Senior member

I'm in LA and would definitely cop a Lamb DR on measuring. Give me a time, place, and day and I'll be there.

4. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

+ 100000000

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

5. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

Wow, just caught up on over 30 pages of this thread and it's been some of the most interesting stuff on SF in a while, thanks Drew.

Wish I was there for the initial discussion of the magazine / 'kei' plotting, and thanks to Drew for pointing out where I might fall, I'll be sure to check out some of that stuff. I do browse a bit in Kinokuniya sometimes but I haven't seen the magazines he mentioned, so I'll check out some scans.

It's funny though, I think about being pigeonholed into having this fetishization of Japanese stuff, and I've noticed lots of people commenting on SW&D being like that as well. I really don't think it's an appeal of anything to do with Japan, and I surely don't have more than a passing interest in anything Japanese besides fashion. I think it has to do more with what was mentioned about THEM being the ones that are so good at embracing these niches in a way that no one else does, at least in the States.

The title of my "obscure japanese trends" thread is totally tongue-in-cheek and is a play on part of the SW&D description. It's not just for Japanese designers, it's just for certain looks and a stylistic mentality that don't fit in with the Milan, Paris or New York runway or publications . A lot of UK designers are doing cool things that would fit in there too, and I want to draw attention to that as well, but it's unfortunately just not covered the same way Japanese stuff is. I'll be trying to bring more attention to that too, at least on SF, and UK e-commerce doesn't have the same barriers that Japan does so that could be nice for actually inspiring people to get stuff in their hands ;)

As I'm reading this it sounds like I'm trying to be defensive about some kind of Japanophile accusations, but that's not it - that doesn't phase me at all. It's more just wanted to say some stuff I've been thinking about with regards to how style information is gathered and passed around in certain subcultures, whether it be magazines or forums online or just the kids that hang out in union square that dress like insane 80's caricatures. That trend may have hit critical mass 5 years ago but they're still doing it and doing it well, but you really don't see it at all anymore outside of that small clique

I think we can learn a lot from the sheer abundance of Japanese glossies :)

The states rely in GQ and Esquire and that's about it really, and it shows.

6. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

From WvG?

The past several pages have somehow made me feel simultaneously enlightened and belittled. :paranoia:

7. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I am not saying those brands are not cool, I am talking about the random 'piece' worship on styleforum (twss) - anyway, I didn't mention this but I hinted at it awhile back, Visvim had a comeuppance awhile back you saw the price points rise, right? It made the leap from the left side of the graph to the right side of the graph. Genuine migration. The line expanded, the line got deeper and slightly more conceptual, and also somehat paid it's way into being the top of the Mode-kei box.

8. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

on a side note i just realized how sweet the back of the old motos were.
    don't even know if it would work, but would be awesome on a art/um/min/dr
    [​IMG]

9. tween_spirit

Well remember, we live in our little echo chamber. A guy wearing MMM gats won't get a second look on the street, but somehow on here it's a topic of discussion with it's own hype cycle and backlash.

If you're dressing for yourself you really don't have anything to worry about, but the second you start dressing or ESPECIALLY buying a specific piece for thumbs or rep or e-props of any kind you've completely missed the boat...

10. impolyt_one

Misguided. Innovation =/= technical clothing, and the current economic climate doesn't support decadently expensive and frivolous luxury clothing like it did in say, 2005, it's as simple as that. A Raf suit that you can dual-purpose is more practical than a Raf zippered funnel neck coat that you can't. In places where people participate in really conspicuous consumption, it's less cool to do so openly. This gave rise to #menswear, to Americana, and to $20 hamburgers. As long as it doesn't look expensive but you think it's quality right now, it is in fashion.

11. impolyt_one

tween - it has nothing to do with Japan really, we can ignore a few of the minor boxes on the graph and they're mostly avoided in the plot lines anyway. It's merely an efficient categorization of things we already knew. We could replace Japanese magazine titles with a bunch of brand names, descriptions, pics, but it's more efficient to list a one-word magazine title in this case. The graph works, it might have a Japanese accent and so one might not trust it, but it's speaking English, in other words.

12. tween_spirit

right, I agree on the significance of the actual plotting of what's going on but the identifiers, magazines in this case, are what's Japanese. I'd of course be interested in seeing it with other labels/designers or blogs/magazines (or even posters) as well.

13. Harbin

Harbin Senior member

I think it is sad GQ is the only style magazine I know...

14. impolyt_one

wouldn't work. We're talking years of issues, each issue pretty full of content - Japanese magazines are powerhouses in a way that no internet fashion forum poster could be, nor a blog.

15. dibango

dibango Senior member

We could do it with designers tho, right? I'm up for it.

Would clarify things for a lot of people I think.