TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I don't disagree on that point. I was specifically referring to what Drew said about moving on to new things and leave the old behind. Unless I misread the part where he says "why are these guys talking about f'ing MMM gats in 2011? MMM sidezips? MMM 5-zips? SNS Herning beasting? Julius? Rick Owens Intarsias? Stephan Schneider? ", he is suggesting that we should already be on to the next thing.

His follow-up post was narrowing this down to "why are people talking about crappy new derivations of" these things, just so they can buy into a brand/trend when it really should die. I don't disagree with that.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

yes!! There's depth within your one's own tastes when it comes to clothing, that many aren't aware of. Styleforum is insular. The point of the whole graph exercise was to show that if a picture is worth a thousands words (and lol, dudes were bellyaching that the graph was boring) - then what is a magazine, with a thousand pictures? a million words? :eek: There's a lot there.
    It's kind of like talking to people from a small town, who've never been to a city before - maybe you end up telling them there's more to life than driving around the same 4 streets on Friday and Saturday night, there's more out there and it won't hurt them, right?

3. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Quote:
    I don't really agree with a couple of his examples (gats still look good to me) but he's saying that some of these things were big trends like 4 years ago, died out, and then all of a sudden StyleForum (with no external impetus) jumped on the trend (that was long-dead for the rest of the world) and everybody bought one.

4. impolyt_one

Does it run true to size now? Like 5 years ago, a Balenciaga sz 50 was like, a true size 44, lol.

5. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Quote:

The pants do, for sure. I clicked a couple random items on Porter and it said they're TTS, but yeah now that you mention it I've definitely seen some past-season outerwear that was wonky. That hasn't stopped anyone with Schneider though lol.

6. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I mean, sometimes items are pretty cool in some objective sense? MMM Side-Zips and GATS. are probably the "best" iteration of that type of boot/sneaker, but nobody was turned onto them until they saw other people wearing them (and since it's not going to be on the street, it's on the internet)

I saw justice on saturday; cross came out five years ago and the whole ed banger/electro scene is kind of dead, but the concert was still fun as shit because all the songs on cross that they played are still awesome.

Also, I think that SF is pretty on top of American designers. Ervell and BOO were big a couple years ago on SF while they were still in their "moment." I'd posit that it's an exposure thing; If your favorite boutiques don't carry it, it's incredibly hard to get your hands on stuff/see it warn if you're in America.

7. impolyt_one

I feel like, there was some sort of artificial, completely unwarranted hype surrounding those items, you know. they pop up one day and then they get a week of airtime and then people go back to forgetting about them and move on. I don't feel that's good for the cycle, that's just solely my opinion. It's not a stance where I am like some sort of elitist and say that there's some sort membership club or anything and you need to be down from day one, what I am saying is that it got tiring to go into the 'best leather jacket' thread or baller sneakers thread and just get the timewarp all the time. I don't know what the next thing is for those guys, I assume if it's that easy for them to latch onto the SF weekly specials, then the next thing for them is the next one, right?

8. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

9. impolyt_one

ftfy, and, in the words of whodini, 'you all did this'

10. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I wish people would stop buying gross late-iteration 5-zips on yoox. To be fair though, and maybe my perception is just a little skewed, there doesn't seem to be any high fashion menswear designer rocking worlds lately. There's no Hedi Slimane making something epic every season - or if there is, who is it?

11. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

Sad and true, imo. There's a reason people are beasting over early Raf, vintage CdG, or piling stupid menswear contrivances on top of each other into absurdity. Not a lot of real innovative stuff going on.

12. wurm

wurm Senior member

The last few pages of this thread have made me extremely skeptical of pretty much all fashion I see.

13. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

But.. But...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

@wurm My thoughts exactly. I am reading through Drew's posts, going

[​IMG]

edit: save space

14. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Senior member

So if Schneider, SNS, Raf, MMM, and Rick are no longer cool, what are some new, current looks/brands that you like Drew?

I still wear Visvim with my Dior/APC jeans with some of the more streetwear Rick pieces mixed in sometimes. Basically my style's been stuck in sufu 07/08 for the past four years, though I'm perfectly happy where I am.

15. aether

aether Senior member

it annoys me when people bitch and moan about the lack of innovation in fashion right now; they're so blase about it. "oh, fashion is soooo boring right now." and this is nothing personal, AFL, but your comment reminded me of this.

what do you expect? It's clothes, and were humans with anatomical restrictions. What innovations do you want? A three armed jacket? and if you ask me, there are labels putting out stuff that is innovative and interesting. isaora, white mountaineering, and UC for example...