TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. BlackToothedGrin

BlackToothedGrin Senior member

Raz can you even wear all the new japanese fashunz? Or are we left out of the loop?

2. dibango

dibango Senior member

Barring mmm, uc, rick etc.. what are sufu and SF wearing in 2-4 years?

3. Razele

Razele Senior member

Eh I dont have acces to any decent magazines here, so blogs are about it - that and just generally reading what people with good taste (objectively good, I may disagree with their purchases) think, definitely that helped heaps. If I lived in Japan or in NYC id probably try to go see more shows and id buy some decent magazines over a year, as it stands Australian ones are designed to sell so much, they are pushier then drug dealers IMO.

Hapsicals raf posts are pretty good, decent mix of now and the past, which is what I sorta strive to do in my wardrobe anyway. Its nice to have a mix of contemporary and past pieces isn't it? I always think so. L.A Guy said (IIRC) that a blog is a really focused point of view - and I agree with that. Im not going to be a Raf / Rick / CCP / Undercover Zealot but its sorta cool and interesting to read a well informed point of view. I dont know if food is a great analogy here though Drew, I mean, you consume the food, the experience is over. You cant resell a consumed meal? Not yet, anyway. People do talk about food and consumption of it in a nostalgic way, so I would play a reference on that. Most of the good posters that I respect have plenty of items from older designers - Fuuma just kopped a branquinho knit and she is making elite level handbags ATM or something that isnt menswear related at all.

4. Razele

Razele Senior member

I dont even like Japanese fashion man, I dont know were I implied that lol

This is me in Winter (simplified):

Bomber (ToJ A2 / CWP / MA-1) or Coat (Schenider Bomber / Hoodcoat / Overcoat)

Schneider Scarf (Wool / Cotton / Mohair / Alpaca as per climate)

White Crewneck T or White Hidden Placket Buttonup

Black Raw / Overdyed Jeans

MMM Sidezips / Carpe Diems (I have four pair now woo) MMM Beautiful Boots etc etc

This is me in Summer (simplified)

Cardigan

White T / White Buttonup

Black Raw / Overdyed Jeans

MMM Sneaks / Raf Sneaks / CP's / CP-alike's

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Fuuma is a high-level connoisseur of fashion, man. I don't know if I'd consider him an archivist/collector in the way mumma or hapsical or some of the SZ people are (though some I consider packrats, rather than archivists) is, but him buying an old Branquinho piece is needless to say, a bit different than the rest.

6. impolyt_one

what? lol. I don't know what sufu is going to be wearing in 4 years man, that's pretty far off. Sufu WAYWT dropped off hard, got overran by the denim people who wear socks and Tevas and stuff. It's become a bit of a joke from within sufu I guess, I don't really pay much attention to it or keep up with the thread. Sufu has always had streetwear roots that styleforum mostly rejected, so I don't know. They have been flatlining for awhile now, so maybe SF will flatline?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

7. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Is sufu even worth going to any more? The last couple times I went to their waywt it was just a mess of New Balances. SZ's waywt is usually rather good.

It's weird to me that the designer stuff I consider easier to pull off (a lot of Balenciaga, for one) compared to Raf or Rick or something, SF doesn't even mention. DLester has a couple pieces, I have some jeans and I think Sipang has some of the odder stuff and afaik that's it on the entire forum.

8. dibango

dibango Senior member

i mean what's jp mode and non-no beasting on atm?

9. Razele

Razele Senior member

Id say you would be high level as well man - thats sorta what Id aim for If I was new, can conceptualise fits and understand the designe elements behind a collection etc etc

I didnt say he (Fuuma) was a collector, just that alot of people I like have old stuff and new stuff, like me, I got older raf / mmm / carpe that I wear pretty often, then I buy current stuff as well. Hapsical yeah, I mean he makes a living out of it, haha - its sorta his niche to collect.

He has older Yohji pieces too IIRC and obviously still wears cloak and DH jeans. IMO some people dont respond well to hand holding or spoon feeding with learning - which is what magazines are in this sense. Your getting edited, controlled fashionz content. Its good if your a complete noob and dont want to spend as much time / effort reading / writing / learning about design, but your appreciation is probably going to be shallower.

Definitely I notice it when I talk to local people who buy local stuff and dont really see the bigger links in things (and how derivative the market is here) and how they work into the greater landscape. I tried to give fashion mags a go but it seriously led my astray far more then just reading SF / SuFu ever would have, would have been better to read some good blogs and just read a bunch on Superfashion and the SZ Archive pieces.

Can you make the BBall jacket again?

10. Razele

Razele Senior member

SuFu is pretty much just Supermarket and Superdenim now, Superfashion is dead. Some of the older threads are good though.

+1 on SuFu being crap now Drew, I was so sad a few years ago when I read some of the older threads (v3 pretty much murdered it IIRC)

11. Razele

Razele Senior member

Also the future of fashion is that we all look RegisDB9 which is generically wearing incredibly priced bought-at-RRP-dawg post margiela MMM in a faux bannana republic look alike swag

Razele, Fashion Nostradamus

12. impolyt_one

Awhile back, Balenciaga was both really hard to size correctly, nobody really sold it, and it was like Jil Sander where the label had been on autopilot and put out stuff continuously and then got a young superstar designer, but unless you had an archival knowledge of all the pieces it was hard to tell if it was Ghesquiere Balenciaga or not, kinda how people buy some of the Jil Sander Tailor Made or pre-Raf Jil and think they're getting some of the Raf-era Jil Sander. Anyway, time has gone on and the internet retailing game stepped up big, Mr Porter came about, I guess Balenciaga is more accessible now, but it's not a big collection to begin with. It's not walked on a runway, the Balenciaga menswear. (?)

13. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

I don't think keeping up to date and having a consistent, personal look are at odds. It's like [food analogy:] if you really like hamburgers, that's cool, you're probably going to keep eating hamburgers. But if somebody opens a new joint where they serve hamburgers with eggs on them, you might go check that out.

14. impolyt_one

Oh, that is mostly neo-Americana and #menswear stuff nowadays. The Mode camp in Japan almost went vacation for like a year, year and half - Huge magazine used to be solidly Euro fashion with a few select pieces of domestic stuff, and then they went off on a used clothing/artifacts/art tangent in order to avoid the fact that there wasn't much that was happening in the mode world for the past couple years.

15. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Right, but Ghesquire has been there for twelve years now, the stuff runs true-to-size, and a good chunk of it will go alright with your wings + horns chinos, you know? I'm not expecting it to be the next big thing (I'm just pulling that out as an example, it's priced in the stratosphere), but I'm just saying the brands that get hyped up here aren't really the easiest to pull off and it's a pretty bizarre selection process.