TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

You're neo-heritage and then I think (but have never seen more than like two fits of yours) that get occasional Italian stuff, like maker's brands online, right? Basically you have a bit of everything, and then age-wise and socioeconomic status wise, you're in the stronger, more defined groups (the ones that I had to explain less to be understood - Mode, Italian, American) - and you're here on a niche website about clothes, so you'd get most play out on the right side where (nice/expensive/luxury? etc you get what I mean here) Clothes as a hobby exists. You're essentially styleforum but a boomerang shape starting in mode and Men's Non-kei, giving a bit to Italian and American-keis. That's a lot of people on styleforum, though most MC'ers don't do Mens Non-kei or 'young casual' in general very well. You see this in their casual thread. lol.

2. impolyt_one

That's why I put this up for everybody. That and the past couple years on styleforum, coinciding with the rise of sq4you and all the 'baller' threads that actually weren't tongue in cheek, it's been strange. I'd come on here, and there was some weekly Styleforum special on a certain item, like, why are these guys talking about f'ing MMM gats in 2011? MMM sidezips? MMM 5-zips? SNS Herning beasting? Julius? Rick Owens Intarsias? Stephan Schneider? These things were all at least several years old when they were popular, and not necessarily new, the first time around. Worst case scenario, they were completely dead aesthetics, like Julius and Rick. It got pretty bad last year, you guys have to admit, it'd be talked to death and then everybody would show up with one and get the late pass. I think for those who just don't know where to begin, fashion magazines like the ones in Japan are a good starting point. THey're edited down so that you're looking at the new stuff, it might be trendy and there's groupthink in that too, but there but it's regarding contemporary looks rather than sending everybody out scrounging on yahoo auctions. See what I mean?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  3. impolyt_one

Anybody in OC/maybe LA need a measuring? I will be able to do that in the afternoon next weekend.

4. chiggah

chiggah Senior member

maybe you should come to new zealand sometime soon drew :D

5. nineohtoo

nineohtoo Senior member

^I know i might be a bit drunk right now, but isn't that generally how it is? I mean i remember when the term hypebeast was coined. That shit was in a niketalk WAYWT circa like 04/05 with hood dudes making make ms paint images/parodies of dudes, and the dudes getting shit on was some Vietnamese dude(Phanizzle fyi amongst others), buying into japanese trends from several years back at the time, which was probably dated to the eastern world but pretty new/different to the western world because of it's perception of fashion and trends. Most of the screen printed brands and stuff that blew up recently to become hypebeast staples were guys who were just trying to proxy shit unavailable on ebay/bbs at the time right? Were always gonna be behind over here.

I guess I'm just saying stuff that picks up in the land of the rising sun eventually will move west and seem new to us when it's really late. Yeah they definitely are related to groupthink along with other things, but those guys definitely charted that territory before us westerners. I don't know why I'm arguing this shit, but I feel like through out my life, shit that I was introduced through the eastern world found it's way and was commercialized here with little to knowledge of its beginnings. But yeah, I'm not arguing with Drew. I think I agree with the most part. I'm just at the point where I don't go to Japan Town to buy toys or race cars anymore. Just bring those ethnic ambiguous girls to grab some food and desert while looking at magazines and manga. I'm sure I'm rambling so I'm gonna go sleep lol. /end drunk rant.

6. krayzeez

krayzeez Senior member

:slayer: depends what day. I could always use a measuring.

7. impolyt_one

Nah I'm saying, the stuff that blew up big on Styleforum in recent years was a rehash of everything from superfuture 3 or 4 years before. There was a guy who posted a thread yesterday on here asking how to keep his brand new MMM gats clean. The echo is like 4 or 5 years. MMM doesn't even make a good representative German trainer colorway anymore, haven't seen one in awhile. sq4you started all that stupid baller shit, heard of Raf Simons for the first time in like 2010, and then bailed on styleforum to start his own version of styleforum. lol

8. impolyt_one

sorry, I meant get measured, and buy something. I have really limited time.

9. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Never understood why people are all hyped those brand "still" especially SNS baffles me, as the quality isn't that good.

MM stopped at MMM in 09 and from my knowledge they haven't hired a new designer, so that maybe the reason, although I blame Jay-z and Kanye for ruining any appeal that brand had in the first place.

10. Razele

Razele Senior member

+1 Best thing that he ever did was bail

+1 on SF TimeWarp talk

Its so true, I wish that SuFu Superfashion never died like it has now, not much going on these days. The threads + general chit chat was awesome (from what Ive read of the older threads)

Does that mean we will be beasting over Undercover and Givenchy Rotweiler T's soon? Probably yes on Undercover, maybe not so much on Givenchy T's.

11. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

There's something a little schizophrenic about your exposés IMO. You always make a point to say that you are interested in creating clothes that will last more than a couple of seasons - updates and tweaks on classics with a focus on details. Then you seem to be lambasting people for not staying up-to-date with the latest fads by scouring Japanese magazines for "new stuff". What is it then? Fast retailing (pun intended) or letting people discover things they will like and wear for a while (i.e. that defines their look)? I am one of those "late pass" guys you mention (I'm not insulted btw) but when I find something (through the early work of others) that combines great design and quality materials (e.g. Schneider, or TOJ to be fair), I don't mind being late and don't see the need to be ahead of the "new" and "trendy". You're in the industry so it's different - you wouldn't be doing your job if you weren't constantly looking for that.

12. impolyt_one

what I am saying, is a lot of the things that are weird late pass things are not always necessarily timeless, they're just somehow rising from the ashes for no explicable reason than maybe a good fit pic being passed around (often ignoring how old and past the pic is). It's strange, man. What I wish for is a more natural linear thing that lets trends die without getting the styleforum weekly revival - Julius didn't really deserve it, the Rick revival was not really necessary in the scheme of things, there were never enough of the MMM sidezip boots to go around and it just boils down to 'are these yellow cracked-effect sidezips on yoox cool guys?' 'what do you guys think of the spiral white/sparkly GATs, they're GATs, right?' and it becomes the RegisDB9/NAMOR effect- just copping dumb shit like it's Pokemon.

Don't you think some of the better trends deserve a more honorable death than this? :eek:

13. impolyt_one

UC beasting on Styfo might go full blown. Not sure. Frankly, UC is above most sufu people's heads, I don't think styleforum could begin to really understand it. There's piece beasting, but UC is one of the hardest brands to pigeonhole.

14. Razele

Razele Senior member

I can see undercover getting pretty big, with Uniqlo UU (garbage to me but other people will lap it up) and plenty of blogs loving it and pumping it, im waiting for it to cross to SF.

Best evidence to prove Drew right is the baller sneakers thread, MMM made some nice hitops like 4 years ago and raf did a couple decent pairs too, now in that thread its just the worst sneakers posted over and over and over and over

SF is the home of 'nice clothes' for the most part, Seriously if people want to be 'in the loop' now they should probably go to Superfuture and / or read heaps of good quality blogs, i.e hapsical, baconzilla etc etc

Fashion mags would probably help but outside proxying its pretty hard

IMO SF is only in the loop a 2-4 years after and SZ just marches to its own tune (thats sorta its idea)

15. impolyt_one

I think Mode is better looked at starting with the runways and then if you're too lazy to pick through them all, there's publications like Gap Press that put together the obvious theme groupings and give you the quick report. Those are nice to have around as a starting point for understanding. Blogs like hapsicals tends towards piece beasting from past collections, just retrospective things, for the trivia obsessed. Raf made some interesting collections for his time back in the beginning of the decade, but wearing that stuff now is for the archivist nerds. It's interesting for those maybe really into fashion on a deeper level of understanding of garments and philosophies and shit, and that's what the fashion archivist/collector types usually are - but for those not as in tune with it, the opposite would be like that awkward MrBlack guy from sufu who heard CCP was cool and went and bought the red double-breasted CCP chef's shirt off ebay and went to SZ and sufu with it. (anybody else remember that? that was a while ago)

I think if one is interested in clothes from the perspective of a shopper/connoisseur, it's like being a patron/fan of dining at restaurants where talent is working - if you're into it and can afford to, you go to see what is happening there, rather than really trying to make a hobby of going to eat only at places that have fallen off. Isn't that normal?