TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

wj4

2. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Indeed. My closet is made up of mostly sweaters from Barney's, Epaulet trousers, MTM shirts, Tat suits, and some ToJ leather pieces. My most "exciting" pieces of clothes are probably the painted MMM lows and ToJ 2010 DR, haha.

I don't really see anything wrong with SVB's style, maybe I'm a bit bias because I dress like him most of the time. I prefer the clean cut look as oppose to, well I'm not sure what the style technically is called. Given that SVB is a young lawyer, I can't really see him in Rick leather or anything of that nature.

I also like to support guys on the board, especially when they are interactive. This is why I think CRM is so important. I call Mike and the Epaulet gang up on a regular basis to chat about stuff in the work.

I used to hassle Charlie via emails a lot too with ideas and stuff.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

3. dibango

dibango Senior member

[​IMG]

EDIT: fixed horizontal axis

4. eVITAERC

eVITAERC Well-Known Member

^^^
    Horizontal axis label is flipped from the Japanese vesion, lifestyle should be on the left and fashion on the right

5. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

^ shouldn't "fashion" and "lifestyle" switch?

Fascinating. Thanks for posting, Drew.

6. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

7. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Did you just go to Kinokuniya and back in 2 hours? lol. Fastest uptake ever. These magazines are expensive, but they're pretty good I guess. Certainly better than anything printed in N. America, probably Europe too, as the Japanese versions are very accessible and catalog-like, which appeals to the internet crowd. Huge just rebirthed last month and came back as a $20 double-sized issue here in Japan, so you're right, they're not very cheap magazines.

8. impolyt_one

He got them right, in the right locations - 'lifestyle' would describe 'street' and 'pretty boy' styles better than the baller clothes people, as 'street' tends to mix with youth culture, music, mayeb skating or whatever. Fashion on the East axis refers to fashion as a hobby, baller-ism, etc. It's like, the internet fashion people who go all out on clothes, not necessarily any other facet of their life.

9. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

I do find myself flipping through Men's Non-No, Joker, Popeye, and SENSE the most out of all those magazines :eek:.

10. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

I picked up my VTG Collared Moto from the Post office today. As usual, there will be no pics from me, sorry.

I tried it on the first time and it wouldn't fit. Too tight everywhere.

So I took it out and tried it again just before I got into the car. Managed to get it on, but it was still tight as heck.

Then I sat in the car while wearing it; bad mistake. Somewhere in the process of trying to get it off, the seat belt whanged me in the chin (don't ask).

I left it in the car, but in the afternoon I went down to try it on again. I can get the zipper three fourths of the way up. Still tight, and will probably always be too tight (hope not).

It is the most beautiful jacket I've ever handled.

11. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

Drew, I've tried searching for the recommended oiling process but have not a lot (saw some guys trying mink oil, others Obenauf's.

Do you have a link to your recommended process/ oils to use? I tried searching - not very had admittedly - and did not find it.

12. impolyt_one

I had a mockup with some styleforum names plotted out on the chart, more than just Uncontrol, then my pshop quit, but I had:

-DLester as a dot in the 'Mode' box. Almost unmoving to any other -kei. Have you seen DLester wear anything non-European?
    -Synthese is a cross-over between Mode and Men's Non-kei, with maybe a bit of an elbow somewhere in the lower side of Itaoya-kei - He has Mode pieces here and there, wears pretty much only French jeans (which means it wouldn't carry him all the way up to true Amekaji at the top) but has experimented in the milder aspects of Itaoya-kei, maybe kinda LEON'ish, in a noncommittal way.
    -Ivwri is a dot in 'Mode' - also unmoving. European (yeah, yeah, YY is Japanese, but for all intents, we want to consider that YY is a brand walked in Paris, with a fanbase that is generally NOT Japanese... the sales staff in Japan will confirm this if you ask them)
    -zissou probably deserves slight movement , but is best off as a dot within 'Ameoyakei' right near Free and Easy - denim, heritage, Americana, neo-Americana, neo-heritage (something like Cabourn is neo-heritage)
    -Fuuma is a line or a thin triangle in both Itaoya-kei and 'Mode' - perhaps his triangle base would deserve to be on the top North, NE axis regarding 'knowledge' and a bit of a step in from the pure 'baller-ism'/consumerism of the East axis.
    -ManofKent is there with zissou in the Ameoya-kei, even though he's less American and more just 'neo-heritage' rather. He tried YY the other day but I don't feel that suggests the full movement towards Mode, nor do I think that's where he really belongs either. ManofKent's sweet spot would be better expressed along the top axis, Ameoya-kei, Itaoya-kei. This goes to show that 'Ame' and 'Ita' aren't supposed to literally mean American and strictly Italian, they're just generic labels meant to invoke 'rustic' on one side and 'refined' on the other.

more?

TOJ as 'Itaoya-kei' was intended to refer to the fact that TOJ would fit in on the pages of mags like Uomo, LEON, maybe Men's Club, but not Men's Ex. That Itaoya-kei is slightly wider than just styleforum's MC alone, or rather, Itaoya-kei would be like if Styleforum MC's WAYWT was great all the time, and then the WAYWT casual edition wasn't such a letdown. :lol:

13. impolyt_one

I did neatsfoot, but don't follow me there - I think neatsfoot was the wrong stuff to use.

Dellath used Obenauf's LC in thin coats and some tanning sessions, and then Obenauf's wax, I believe. I'll let him chime in on that, but it's like 5am in Australia so it might be awhile....

14. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

Cheers.

Another question - does this thing get looser with wear?

15. dibango

dibango Senior member

[​IMG]

Added Drew's boxes