TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

nah, the graph is deeper and I have doubts many know all of the magazines listed and therefore it'd be hard to really map it out better than I have it down now. You can make your own from scratch if you want it to be simpler, but the one I put above is both inclusive and really quite simple if you take it an entity at a time, and it's very textbook and well thought-out, actually. There's a nice logical relationship in the placement of everything. That's why I stole this from the fashion school. :eek:

2. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

I don't think it's fair to classify me as onii-kei or gal-o, at least not anymore. I identify more with the taupe and grey sections. Maybe my hair is the only thing left haha. But really cool and interesting diagrams.

3. dibango

dibango Senior member

Guys, less drama and jp infographics. More fit pics and new shit.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

4. impolyt_one

I knew you would say this, and anybody else is going to have a kneejerk reaction as part of the Western individualist mentality - and that's why I plotted your purple shape on the matrix delving slightly into Mens Non-kei and a touch of Mode, but you are still very squarely within what is the Onii-kei category as a foundation. You have the hair, you wear makeup, and the general silhouettes, textures, some of the brands (and brands are important here, but not THAT important - things can be substituted to achieve the final look, which is the takeaway here) - your effect is almost 100% Onii-kei/Gal-o. I don't know what to tell you, your look is rooted upon principles that are very much from the Onii-kei box there. You could go without the hair or makeup, but you'd still be in that box. Also, as I have graphed, pretty much everyone else starts with a foundation with something outside of that.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

5. impolyt_one

You don't realize how locked down that graph is. It basically sums up everyone who has ever posted to a men's fashion messageboard and actually tried to be stylish. It's your world, in 640 x 480.

6. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

I just wanna end up somewhere in the sex-worker part of the graph.

7. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Was on my phone and didn't realize the lines in totality -- I would say that the purple line for me is probably correct, as long as we leave men's egg out of it :eek:

8. impolyt_one

also, the taupe Mode area is focused on the highest end fashions, you are not really Mode. You are kind of within the grey Mens Non-kei in terms of the pricepoints and brands you associate with, I know you like Kiryuyrik, et al - those are Mens Non-kei basically, fashion produced in collections, but not walked, at least outside of Tokyo. Mode is Raf Simons, Rick Owens, Dior Homme, YSL - the highest end menswear, which gets walked in Europe.

To give you another idea - RegisDB9, NAMOR, other styleforum posters - these guys are actually buying brands within the grey Mode area, but they are not mode either. They have no real awareness of the runway show concept, of a brand's purpose or aesthetic, and they end up buying basics and carryover generics. If they had more 'pieces' and put together their outfits based on philosophies other than 'what color do I match with my shoes?' then they might be more mode.

tween_spirit is on a line that starts somewhere at Cool Trans and ends up in Mens Non-kei

Ivwri is basically a dot that doesn't travel far from Vogue Hommes Japan, or WMD

zissou is the polar opposite and a dot somewherevery close to Free and Easy

Phat Guido (and as is referenced by his name) - purely Ita-oya-kei

most of the people posting in this thread - they float between Mens Non-kei, dabble in mode, usually don't do much in Street-kei unless they're only around for the varsity jacket

and so on, and so on

9. impolyt_one

you are the polar opposite of this.

10. dibango

dibango Senior member

Your world can be categorized in terms of jp magazines?

11. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Where would BerlinReport fit into, although he hasn't posted fit in SF for almost a year now?

12. impolyt_one

yes, and your style too. Everybody on styleforum, superfuture, stylezeitgeist - they can be plotted within this map, pretty much to a tee, there's a place for everybody. Sadly, no 'Abacro-kei' (Abercrombie and Fitch)

13. impolyt_one

Berlin Report is at the bottom area of 'Ita-oya-kei' - Uomo, LEON, Oceans, Men's Club. Might give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a tiny wedge of Mode, but from what I remember of him, that really wasn't his game. He was very much a block within the bottom of the grey box.

14. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

:confused:

I should've figured as much.

Something to shoot for, I guess.

15. nineohtoo

nineohtoo Senior member

I was gonna say that should be in RFT, but I see it's there too with no response yet It seems pretty spot on, and I'm interested to see other people's thoughts. I think I see where my broke ass who doesn't really have a clue about fashion fits on that graph lol.