TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Can you snap a pic of the fur collar with the collar up ? It may work better and look less pouffy

2. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

3. malaujai

malaujai Senior member

I think the fur looks fine... Might be able to tweak other things or the collar itself to make it look better but I don't see anything wrong with it now...

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Well, that is a perception thing and it's 100% your right to feel that way about aesthetics, and it's the very reason for the various offerings I make, one size does not fit all, most certainly - but personally I don't feel the CM is most MC-friendly, nor is it necessarily best on bigger guys. I mean, I could counter that with the idea that the jackets with less going on up on the breast panels (CM, 2-zip moto, Bomber without any accoutrements, etc) don't have enough visual interest to break up the bigger spaces, and it works alright if you're down towards size 46, but if you're larger you might want to consider doing a visual break, giving hemispheres to your torso. I've gone to lengths on why I like the 4-zip Moto, and that is because it tends to accentuate the chest well, regardless of whether you're smaller or larger chested - the variegated nature of zippers breaks things up laterally and then the zippers being there, that in itself breaks up the distance vertically.

Lots more on that, but you know. If you want to overthink it, there's plenty of opportunities to. My epic post a couple pages back wasn't intended to snuff out doubt or questioning - it was to encourage the opposite of that, the products exist, and therefore exist to be questioned - there's a backstory or a reason for being, and I can tell you why.

Collared shirts don't necessarily look bad coming out of band collars; it looks fine, you wear a jackets and suits with collared shirts, right? Same visual premise. French cuffs and a rider's jacket, questionable. That would be hard to reconcile.

5. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

I don't think the collar is quite large enough for him to pop it up ALA the new A-2 with the fur on. That aside, I actually think it looks pretty good. It just looks like you're wearing an expensive neckwarmer or something. Fits in well with the colder climate in Canada.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

If the fur is long but not dense (that's what it looks like), it would compress on the neck and could look better with the collar up. Hard to say without seeing it. I know I like how my bomber fur collar looks when up

7. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

My whole intent is to wear my 2 zip blacked out moto with BD collar shirts...personally I think it will look good. Of course I can wear it with a T or a V neck--but you can add the extra "something" to a normal fit of jeans, sneaks and ocbd by putting a TOJ over it--and I don't think the band collar detracts from it at all. We shall see tho...TOJ is coming...and I'll try a fit.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  8. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I see false reading the thread right now, reminded me that I heard he was at a houseparty somewhere in Tokyo this weekend and one of my good friends came up to him and must've scoped out false's leather jacket, whereby he told him it was a TOJ - haha. I didn't really get the full details on this but I want to hear more.

9. DLester

DLester Senior member

I do not like the fur on that otherwise amazing jacket.

10. Rompson

Rompson Senior member

I think the fur is growing on me.

:rimshot:

11. johanm

johanm Senior member

Really interesting perspective. I've always thought that chest details (pocket squares, chest pockets, etc) put emphasis on the breadth of the chest, whereas negative space puts the chest in the background. Kind of how a suit puts less emphasis on the midsection than a sportcoat/trousers combo. I'll have to think more about what you're saying.

Re shirt collars, you're right that the collar comes out of a suit jacket. The key measurement is the collar height. You don't want to wear a tall collar shirt with a short collar jacket. Just a 1/4 inch here or there makes a lot of difference.

Re french cuffs, my shirts are pretty close fitting, especially the sleeves and cuffs. No blousiness. You wouldn't notice the french cuffs unless you are looking at the cufflinks. The fabrics are also pretty basic - bengal stripes, gingham checks, etc with a 50/50 ratio of white to color. The collars are big but extremely soft. I think they work with casual looks just as well as slim OCBDs, which I would wear if oxford cloth didn't make me itchy.

12. el Bert

el Bert Senior member

I think it looks fine, the only mistake I think was maybe you thinking it could fit your style which when buying from something you can't physically trying on first can easily happen. Like other people have said fur collars look better on some people than others.

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I don't, I was just trying to picture the mods (in Microsoft Paint :laugh: )

14. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

For some reason I've always thought of the CM as one of the more versatile jackets and maybe the only non-bomber model that would go well with button-front shirts. I pretty much only wear my BCDR with v-necks and henleys, partially because that's what I wear maybe 85% of the time, but also because I don't think it would work well with much else.

If not the CM, any thoughts on what would pair well with a button-down? I guess I'm thinking less MC and more of the plaid/patterned Gant Rugger/Gitman Vintage-y stuff.

15. bakatora

bakatora Senior member

i was just informed that there is no more platinum club :( i feel as if i have nothing to work towards anymore.. no more copping achievements.. lol