TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. GBear

GBear Senior member

gdl, how is the weight of the jacket? I am thinking it wouldn't be as heavy as calfskin but not sure how it would compare to lambskin. Looks interesting for sure, very nice jacket!

2. Samir

Samir Senior member

That'd be pretty sick. After being teased by the sample sale MA-1 that was in fact no longer on sale, it's hard now to look at other nylon alternatives. At that price point, probably very few can compare. Slack Tide's pictures of his were amazing.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  3. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Thanks again for an awesome pair of jacket Drew :D

4. Mr. Rosewater

Mr. Rosewater Active Member

Bringing this up here as it got lost in the last page cause mods were approving the post.... hope that's alright

5. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

In many ways it is the exact opposite of lambskin : textured vs smooth, heavy vs light, hard vs supple, rough vs luxe. It is a bit lighter than calf but I would say most of the properties make it wear much more like calf than lamb. IMO it's a great hide when looking for a tougher looking jacket, and therefore wouldn't work very well with the more fashion-forward jacket styles that work better with luxe feel of lamb.

(caveat: I'm talking about my goatskin jacket specifically, I don't know what Drew's new hides look or feel like)

6. GBear

GBear Senior member

Thank you for the information and clarifying a few things for me gdl. I am looking for a lighter jacket as two calf jackets are more than enough. They are damn heavy and can't be worn all of the time...or so it seems.

7. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I think I need to make some sort of Venn diagram showing hardness/weight/texture/density/durability/etc. I am trying to figure out the most logical way to depict those because they're not really related but happen simultaneously, sometimes not, I dunno.

8. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

[​IMG]

*edit* Oh also, is dark royal still available?

9. GBear

GBear Senior member

That would be a good idea. If you ever have any spare time, a simple detailed list, description, and photographs of leather swatches would be really nice. Something that will include leather specs (weight, finish, thickness, etc) , your opinion on the leather, and pictures (cross section, flash/no flash, sunlight, shade, grain, etc.) Even just the basic colors like brown in calfskin, goatskin, and lambskin would, not only make a decision easier, but be a damn interesting read.

I know this is a lot of work to make something like this a reality but I think it would be really great for first time buyers and veteran TOJ owners to "get to know" the leather selection TOJ offers a little bit more, beyond just a name. Of course, all of this can be solved if the entire customer base can go to a place and feel the leathers first hand but I really doubt that is possible. In that case, this seems like a decent alternative. And I don't think even those who own many TOJ leather jackets have owned a jacket in every leather TOJ offers. I am sure they would love the opportunity to see what the other leathers would be like. It I guess it may the engineering geeky side coming out, but I love seeing lists, pictures, and specs.

Just throwing an idea out there.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  10. Rover!

Rover! Senior member

Dude, you're over thinking things. I know this is SF, but most people don't take that much detail into account when making a decision. Just a basic qualitative description is enough, do you really need to know that one type of leather is 1/8" thicker than the other and keeps you 0.5 a degree warmer?

11. chiggah

chiggah Senior member

not really but i read somewhere that a member's calf leather was bitten by a pitbull and did not punch a hole through it

was awesome to know

12. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

This is all you need to know:

13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

way too much info, both for me to try to go over, and for one to digest. Let life be simple. Fun is in the pleasant surprises.

14. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

I like to think that TOJ is like a small restaurant with about 8 tables, with a long line out the door. Literally 1st come first serve, no reservations, so you have people camping out to eat.

Drew is the chef and designed the menu. On a daily basis you have Charly working the door, Dan slinging out the food made by the 2 sous chefs in the kitchen.

With that type of structure, there is no reason to re-design the menu. There would be no point as you can't take on anymore customers anyways.

15. just another fool

just another fool Well-Known Member

i still suck at photography, but here's the best i could do of my anniversary harrington from b&s

[​IMG]

so i now have this, a black 2010 dr and a navy peacoat. i really like the look of the toj suede (specifically the bball jacket, but that's unattainable) so i'm wondering which of the suede's i should grab. i really like the look of the suede a1 but don't know what color to go with, and wanted some advice.

my wardrobe is pretty boring (sans the toj). usually a v neck tee or henley, petit standards and a pair of white chucks, black or tan boots or some other sneaker. i know that's pretty run of the mill, but any advice would be appreciated.