1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. vaalbara

vaalbara Senior member

fuck i wish i had money.

2. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

don't we all, bruh, don't we all.

3. Emixam

Emixam Senior member

I tend to agree with you. I used to own a calf guidi jacket and the leather was amazing, but really tough and uncomfortable at first. I had to resell it because of this actually, I could only wear it wit a Tshirt underneath. Anyway TOJ lamb is noticeably thicker than the commonly used lamb by other cheaper and more expensive labels. I still think it is a pretty good deal, but if I could, I would have bought my A2 in horse or Kangaroo leather (kangaroo is fantastic) - unfortunately it was not possible.

4. omgcookielol

omgcookielol Senior member

Do you have a TOJ in lamb? If you compare TOJ's lamb jackets side-by-side with most mid-to-low tier lamb leathers (I have), you would know that this is a terrible comparison in terms of construction and material grade. ... and that's what will inevitably determine an item's longevity. Like mikey said, it would be like comparing wool from H&M to a higher end coat... Or using a banana republic/J. Crew cashmere sweater to set the foundation for what you believe cashmere's really like.

TOJ lamb's strength is that it drapes well, looks good, and feels nice - it gives off a very luxe vibe. Calf is thick and dense - cool if you need it, but a lot of us probably don't. TOJ lamb will probably last you decades if you don't do something outrageously stupid with it (a lamb 2010 dr is cool for brawls, but not for knife fights). If you're going to wear calf in situations that require its density, it probably won't last you as long as a TOJ lamb that was used for fashunz.

5. 13k

13k Senior member

Has there been any mention on the change of v-quilted zipper flap on some of the models? I personally like the longer one...

Examples:

VLSI Recent WAYWT
    [​IMG]

Willy's TOJ battle fit:
    [​IMG]

6. omgcookielol

3/4 placket was available for stuff that got sent out earlier, but then 1/2 became the standard (if you opted for a placket you could only get it in 1/2) sometime after in 2011.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. omgcookielol

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that they just said they'll have black as an option until the stock runs out, and won't restock them in the future. :satisfied: Whenever I make up my mind, I'll ask Charly if they've still got black zips, but a 2011 moto (with quilting!?) would make a nice addition to my existing collection of murdered out lamb TOJs. :slayer:

8. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Senior member

Since the term "knife fight" keeps getting thrown around, just wanted to make something exceedingly clear. Usage of this phrase is for metaphorical purposes only. ToJ calf is still not going to stop a knife. A dog bite, sure. But anyone who knows what they're doing with something pointy will only stab.

Might be a no-brainer for most, but it looks like there are a lot of newbs lurking that believe everything they read on the internet.

/end public service annoucement. Someone had to say it.

4 people like this.
  9. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Whether or not it's a personal impression, you're getting slammed for it -- and rightly so -- because it's just totally absurd.

Guidi, CCP, m.a.+, incarnation, etc are doing a totally different aesthetic that just does not suit lamb. Those jackets are not meant to be smooth and sleek. They are meant to look weathered, with lots of crinkling and glossiness, so of course lamb is a non-starter there. Drew's designs are meant to be smooth, relaxed and relatively classic, so lamb is a great material choice. There are a lot of shitty, cheap jackets available in calf leather too. The lamb Toj uses and the lamb H&M uses may as well be two completely different animals (in terms of the lives lead, they probably are).

There's also the fact that there are plenty of luxury houses producing lamb leather jackets. Tom Ford is certainly not fast fashion.

Footwear is also a totally stupid example, because you wear shoes on your feet. The durability standards of a shoe are totally different from a jacket. That "shell cordovan shit" is what a small handful of guys want, actually. Otherwise it probably wouldn't be so fucking hard to find. Most people order their Toj jackets in lamb, I believe, so I believe the consumer has spoken on that one.

This isn't to say calf is a bad material for a Toj jacket -- sometimes I wish I had gone calf on mine -- but to even insinuate that the Toj lamb is fast fashion is just ridiculous. And someone else commented it will last a "few seasons" -- what the fuck are you guys doing in your jackets? If you're not riding or getting in knife fights or cradling cats this is mostly just masturbation, you're just wearing a jacket you're not a fucking action hero. Your lamb jacket is going to last you many, many years if you take care of it. It's not armor-like like the calf is, but it's a reasonably durable material.

6 people like this.
  10. johanm

johanm Senior member

I have a lamb CM and have a calf 4-zip on the way. Have worn the lamb several times and it does not feel at all flimsy the way that H&M/Uniqlo jackets do. I think Drew has said that the thickness of the 2 leathers is the same, with twice the density on calf. I ordered calf not for durability/toughness, but so that I have 2 jackets with different types of patina.

These are the pics that convinced me that having both wouldn't be redundant:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Eh? Aren't those both pictures of lamb jackets?

1 person likes this.
  12. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

13. aether

aether Senior member

feelin huffy are we?

I think johan's pics prove the case for lamb more than anything else can. And i should add that I am speaking of lamb in general, NOT TOJ LAMB NECESSARILY, OK? as johan's pics show, it seems to be some damn good lamb hide. But my previoius statements are just my general impression of lamb and leather hides in general and what I've observed. Some people sorta agree, others scathingly do not and thats fine.

I got one of the large zip wallets he introduced many a moon ago. I'd like to know for sure; is it lamb? Because it is blistering and scuffing in a strange way. don't get me wrong, I still love it, but if it turns out to be lamb it would be a good case against its durability, GENERALLY SPEAKING OF COURSE (DISCLAIMER: not talking specifically about TOJ so you don't need to prove to me TOJ has good lamb)

14. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

This is the worst argument ever

15. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Yes, that one! I'm finding myself drawn more and more to white/off-white outerwear.

16. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

What the fuck is wrong with you people

Why do even bother arguing about such stupid things

17. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

What does Lambskin look better with, RIRI or YYK zips?

3 people like this.
  18. gong

gong Senior member

I wouldn't say it's stupid, while I don't think anyone is in question of the quality of TOJ it still is a fair amount of money to drop on a jacket. It isn't unreasonable to want to get the most bang for your buck.

19. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

It's stupid. Buy what you want to.

20. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

That's not really helpful when people are trying to figure out what they want.

Anyway, yes, it's kind of a dumber conversation because everyone's just repeating the same stuff, and I think at the heart of it is that people are (reasonably) worried about lamb being fragile, but they've also never handled the NZ lamb and can't decide because there's no new information. You don't see people fussing over this who have a toj lamb jacket and know how it wears with how they live.

tl;dr: need more evo pics from all of you