Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

can't get paid in college and didn't make millions his 1st yr

2. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Yes...exactly this. It's always accompanied by a hint of shame. :embar:

I guess western-style pockets are a feasible workaround, but I've never cared for the way they look. Some of the more voluminous repro cuts might work as well, as would sizing up, but who wants to stoop to that level, amiright? :)

3. grizzlybear

grizzlybear Senior member

well the "minimum" for an nba player might be like 100k at the least, and that is not being poor by any means. either way, the point that i'm trying to make is that drew is making it seem like he was a starving african child. :laugh:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

4. fungz0r

fungz0r Senior member

I don't think drew was making it seem like he was a starving african child. Drew was just pointing out that he can swag him out in TOJ and make him look better

5. grizzlybear

well the part that i bolded made it seem like he was talking about his financial status. :tounge:

6. johanm

johanm Senior member

Samurai jeans have an interesting solution to this - the denim at the pocket opening is cut larger than the denim underneath, so the pocket bows slightly outward when you're standing. Makes it really comfortable to put hands in pockets, and reduces bulge when storing items.

I actually thought it was a defect until I read a thread on superfuture about some japanese bespoke denim artisan who noted that he does the same thing on his jeans to make the front pockets more functional.

I'm always carrying a bunch of crap in my pockets (cigs, lighter, iphone, blackberry, keys), so I've ended up not wearing any of my other jeans, including expensive Iron Heart, Eternal, etc.

7. buran

buran Senior member

8. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

http://www.nba.com/news/cba_minimumsalary_050804.html

almost $500k minimum...

I'd sit the hell out of some bench for that.

9. grizzlybear

why the fuck was he sleeping on someones couch?????????? i'm from new york and im a knicks fan but i just dont understand. :puzzled:

10. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Interesting...I hadn't noticed this on my Samurais, but maybe that's because they're on the slimmer (710 cut) and heavier (19 oz) side. I'd noticed that the pockets were more accessible on my SExSC06s, but I had assumed it was just that they had a (relatively) high rise, allowing for a decent amount of sagging, and that the lightweight, loose-weave denim made them a bit stretchier.
    I always thought the Double Volante thing was pretty awesome. Some cool stuff in that thread.

11. hell0w0rld

hell0w0rld Active Member

Jeremy Lin is making $762,195 with the Knicks this year and I believe last year he was making slightly more. However, his contract was one of the lowest in NBA history. (I wrote an article about him last year before his rise)

http://hoopsanalyst.com/blog/?p=487
    And a statistician broke down his stats and predicted his success in the NBA before he was signed to a team two years ago. A pretty accurate and scary prediction. Money ball at its finest.

12. emalkin23

emalkin23 Well-Known Member

My guess is knowing that he was the 14th or 15th man on the Warriors roster and being cut by two teams in less than a month before this season started, he probably wanted to get the most out of that $500k he made. He wasn't even on a roster when play began this season so he was probably just doing what most NBA players DON'T do and that is save their $$.

13. hell0w0rld

hell0w0rld Active Member

He was waiting for his contract/money to be guaranteed before looking for a "long-term" place to stay in NY. There's a waive/cut deadline in the NBA and your contract can be voided if you're cut.

14. johanm

johanm Senior member

Thanks for the link - great thread

Actually mine are the 710xx in 19 oz too. Maybe a later lot #? Mine is lot 14. Best jeans I've owned.

15. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade