TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. hhenryhhh

hhenryhhh Senior member

I've been practically thinking about it nonstop for the past two days.

While I really like the T3 - the T1 in sand really calls out to me (wonder if it has hand pockets like the T3?)

I'll continue to look at the pics and sigh longingly

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  2. bows1

bows1 Senior member

I always thought it was a Cursive reference

3. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

Fishtail would look great on a girl, you should get her to buy it. :devil:

4. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Me too!!!

5. dibango

dibango Senior member

6. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

you can't talk about poly. he's like your grand daddy on these forums.

7. BlackToothedGrin

BlackToothedGrin Senior member

I agree. I'm pushing her to get it

8. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

you thought right

do want. especially if theres a waxed version.

9. unfuccwittable

unfuccwittable Member

Drew, any chance you'll be revisiting the MA-1? I ask because I'm thinking of going with Buzz Rickson, but if you're gonna do another one, screw that.

10. APK

APK Senior member

Seconded.

11. impolyt_one

Somebody should pshop those jackets in different colors just to see what they look like. My pshop skills are limited to the invisible hanger. :eek:

I actually do really want to make the MA-1 again, but this time I am gonna make it in Japan through somebody who makes repros really well - TOJ pattern and color/material mixup X repro build quality is my dream. However, just as any other clothing, it will take a little time to come to a boil....

I have a Buzz Rickson's MA-1, it's ridiculously bad fitting. Get one and see I guess, but the Buzz is laughable on me. Mine is actually the 'slender + long' model that I was hoping would fit me better, but it still comes up 2" short in the sleeves, has really uncomfortably high armholes (and why? it's huge everywhere else, I don't get it), and fits like a Hefty bag. People look at me wearing my Buzz and I feel like they are lol'ing at me. :eek:

12. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

drewski how do you feel about an m1 in leather or suede?Nylon/techno fabric just doesn't appeal to me unless it's kinda luxe and fashiony. :slayer:

13. impolyt_one

awesome fit, did not expect it to look like that from the first pic you posted. :eek: That's pretty much perfect.

I saw aeglus' whiskey DR last night, it's getting worn in quite nicely actually. I didn't expect that either, since it's not that old yet. I tried it on and wore it around for a bit pretending I had a TOJ whiskey DR of my own. :freeze:

14. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

What colors would you like?

[​IMG] :foo:

15. impolyt_one

Could type up a super long post on this topic as it's one I think about often, but I'll just kinda put down a few points now - I think a) the interpretations of flight jackets are epidemic lately and people just put that arm office pocket on everything, in a year or two or maybe three people are gonna hate the arm office just like they do epaulets now.... there's a point where details just become artifice and cheap looking, and I try to get off that train long before I even start feeling that way. b) a real flight jacket has a certain look that just can't be replicated halfway, and referencing them by doing the arm office by itself or something, that isn't enough, see point a. c) we make the CWU-45 with a ribbed collar now, it's pretty decent for an example in leather. d) I like nylon too though, and someday once the materials are pulled together I'd like to make a real flight jacket, except in my own patterning. It'd look like a real deal MA-1 after coming back from the tailor's and also growing a couple inches in length. I also like some of the less common colors for MA-1's, like the soft sage on orange or wine on orange. I'd wear the hell out of those myself. The MA-1 is one of those projects that I will keep working on in as many permutations as I need to until I feel like I can do no more. I think I'm getting that way with DR's and varsities lately, some of the designs I think I'll keep offering as they are. :eek: The varsity jacket, we're still working on the new one, but I am coming around to the feeling that the TOJ0 is probably 'it' or 'me' as well as much as it could be.