1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

What's deerskin like in a jacket? Too thin?

2. kook

kook Well-Known Member

when i try and track my bball i get hit with "No tracking information for the shipment, or overdue tracking. " - is this just because its not in the system yet?

3. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

yes, probably too thin, also insanely expensive for the kind of deerskin I've seen thus far - so we've never even bothered to try. A black French deerhide would cost me almost $150 each, and the size isn't always that big, not like a cow or something - more closer to a big sheep - so we'd need multiples. We use 6 lambs per jacket, so I'd figure we'd need at least 3 deers, maybe 4. materials and labor alone would be more than what I sell a TOJ lamb jacket for.

4. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I have a grey deer suede jacket.

If the cut was not for an obese midget, it would probably be the luxest thing i own.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  5. impolyt_one

http://www.webbikeworld.com/women-motorcycle-clothing/deerskin-jacket/

Google brought this up - insane. I have no idea how they sell this for $199. I mean, yeah it's made in Pakistan, but still, I have no idea how to sell a leather jacket for $199. You're talking like $75 in labor and materials, for 4 hides and linings, plus hardware. Unbelievable. FWIW the French deerskin I was talking about earlier looks completely different than this stuff. if you've ever seen nice deerskin gloves, you know what the leather looks like, it kinda resembles pigskin but slightly smoother and waterproof. The stuff in the article might be bullshit too, looks more like goat and it could just be Pakistani/Kashmiri mountain goat sourced locally.

6. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

They must be lying.

These skins cost about $200. I've seen them in a leather merchant. They were really nice but ridiculously expensive compared to everything else I saw.

They are probably using corrected grain goat or something.

7. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

I bet if you brought the wallets back at $125-150 you could sell a decent amount of them.

4 people like this.
  8. afixedpoint

afixedpoint Senior member

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I would buy a TOJ sweatshirt

9. dibango

dibango Senior member

how many sq ft?

just found this.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  10. impolyt_one

^ that's just split buckskin, no processing and also not really choice hide as far as I know - it's mainly sold for Indian re-enactment stuff amongst American dudes.
    The French stuff I'm talking about is pretty much specifically made for luxury gloves, maybe bags, I am not sure. It's a smooth, fully finished struck-through black leather with a pretty desirable finish and sheen. It is pretty unique, almost flawless through the hide as far as the one I saw too. It was definitely of a high-tier quality and admittedly probably worth the $150 or so.

11. impolyt_one

Yeah the one I linked to definitely looks like a thin goatskin, as you can see in the grain, which is fairly common for Pakistan and other inner Asian countries as far as I know. Meat industry byproduct there? I mean, you know for sure that they're giving those poor bastards like $2 a day to do a good job patterning and sewing leather jackets, and the overall products are good for the niche they serve, but something is always amiss too. Anyway, as is common with leather products and especially jackets - nobody knows what the fuck they actually have, and are just adding to the tale when they need to. Think of how many companies label their leather jackets with a simple 'outer: 100% leather" tag and skip the explanations.

12. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

But as a TOJ customer, I can instead tell people that I am wearing 6 adorable lambs :thumbs-up:

13. impolyt_one

well, two things; I also don't really like the guy who makes the wallets, he's about my least favorite person in TOJ-ville. :eek: Also, I feel that is a little expensive. I dunno. There's a lot of people out there making wallets and stuff. I can't say all of them are good, but yeah anyway, forget the wallets, I'd rather focus time and energy on something that makes its own niche and does something really well, untouchable status. A lot of people can throw a pair of Incotexs or APCs or a BoO shirt at a factory and say 'hey, copy these for my house label' - but I want to be above that level, I want to make unique stuff that is maybe a bit more advanced and involves more serious thought and production skills.

14. impolyt_one

as long as everybody goes down with me, when the time comes to be judged. :eek:

2 people like this.
  15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

It seems like there's a lot of wallets out there at the moment that are based on CDG wallets, so it makes sense to pass on wallets.

Nice high quality leather gloves would be nice.

Dog leashes, collars & harnesses :embar:

16. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

17. IDH

IDH Senior member

Drew - do you know of any designers that use the French leather for gloves? Living in the UK I wear gloves daily for like 4 months a year and they always end up looking like shit :satisfied: Looking to get a nicer pair to go with my navy TOJ peacoat.

Also, lots of ideas have been mentioned here in the past few days – but I’m sure you have ideas you’re already considering or looking in to. Any chance of hearing some of your ideas for the new collection?

18. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

seriously dude?

19. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

anyone's ideas here hit a note?

20. teenagelightning

teenagelightning Senior member

don't make these but do make a 20 minute in-depth video detailing how to measure your dog for mtm

2 people like this.