1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Stillmaticbeat

Stillmaticbeat Senior Member

yeah, i haven't sorry i'm a noob to leathers really

but i got a fing awesome brand new schott 644 for around 250 and thats from 600 or so, so it came down a ton in price on the resell market
    and the quality/construction is almost par /w this one

also on the B&S the toj's don't come down as much as that or another great leather i was looking at lost worlds ryder and thats steerhide... hahaha

i hope at least some of you guys feel me

2. Nil

Nil Distinguished Member

Sounds like a discount consumer where every item should be available for at least 50% off retail with seasonal stackable coupon codes to bring it up to 90%.

Hey guy, have you ever bought a leather before? They're not cheap items. Even shitty ones are expensive.

3. Stillmaticbeat

yeah you're right
    but to address you... at least aldens go on sale and new ones in stores can be had for cheap at certains time of the year. tojs to my knowledge dont and if you look at the sample prices...damn

4. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

is above poster woodyear?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

5. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

I don't think many people here would feel you. Toj's margins are lower, the quality is higher, and you're comparing full price to used and/or sale prices. Not a valid comparison at all.

Can you show us a jacket that you feel is "fairly priced"?

6. Stillmaticbeat

alright thanks for the feedback i see your reasoning

i guess i'm just not that experienced /w leathers because it seems like the prices are so varying even /w decent leather+styled pieces

7. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Distinguished Member

you answered the question yourself. toj items dont depreciate all that much because quality is high.

8. Stillmaticbeat

hah yeah quality is damn good i'll give them that, i want to buy a collared moto now....

9. NotClever

NotClever Senior Member

Might you direct me to this magical place where Aldens go on sale and new ones in stores can be had for cheap?

Also, keep in mind that it's $735 for a MTM item, so it's a little apples-to-oranges to compare it to mass produced options.

10. fungz0r

fungz0r Senior Member

Aldens go on sale at shoemarts factory 2nds

11. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

MTM doesn't exactly qualify for factory seconds...and if you did get a botched shipment (like that case with the baseball jacket), drew and his crew are totally ready and willing to fix their mistake...

12. Nereis

Nereis Distinguished Member

I don't think he quite knows enough about economics to realise that TOJ has enough differentiators to be classified as a monopolistic arrangement, and not a seller of a generic commodity (leather jacket done the same as everyone else). Hence, he only cares about his workers' productivity and setting a price such that demand is just right, not too high or too low (hello Dayton boots). That price is naturally higher than if in a perfect market, but we all know that perfect markets do not exist.

13. ceoceo

ceoceo Distinguished Member

When's the next Mr.Porter sale?

14. unfuccwittable

unfuccwittable Member

you might have gotten that Schott on sale, but I'd bet you the price of a brand new TOJ A-2 that it fits you like shit.

15. gettoasty

gettoasty Stylish Dinosaur

bumping this again as i was searching for it, need those minimalist coats, trousers and shirts, and boots