• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toilet paper leaving paper particles floating in the air whenever I break it?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've said it once and I'll say it again... this place amazes me sometimes.

I think we've got some member here to cover just about every base in existence. I remember another amazing discussion with some of the engineers making quite impressive calculations and remarks about urinals and splashback...

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I remember another amazing discussion with some of the engineers making quite impressive calculations and remarks about urinals and splashback...

Wait.
Was that subject ever solved?
I need to search...

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what i understand, one can go to the arctic and take a water sampling and find microscopic bits of toilet paper.

kontai69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers
Well, as luck would have it I have a B.S. in Paper Science & Engineering. Yes, I'm being serious.
The particles that you see floating out of the T.P. will be very similar in composition to the TP itself: primarily paper fiber with some carbonate filler and a host of softening and sizing agents...

That is good info! Are there any brands of T.P. that are reasonably thick but are less prone to dust release or are they all pretty much the same?

Transcendental

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kontai69
I was about to say the exact same thing. I always notice a noticable amount of accumulated lint near the TP dispenser and wherever I have a tissue box. If you take a tissue and shake it around bright light and look closely at the air, you can see this.
It seems like the softer and thicker the TP, the more lint it releases.

From a Google search, someone recommeded TP with lotion and Angel Soft brand TP for minimal dust (lint) release. I actually might personally give them a try.

that actually does work, the ones with lotion give off less "puff", but lotion on toilet paper seems weird to me.. moisturizing your asshole doesn't seem pleasant

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thats why you need to get a dog. no toilet paper and less dog food to buy.

stylemeup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers
Well, as luck would have it I have a B.S. in Paper Science & Engineering. Yes, I'm being serious.

The particles that you see floating out of the T.P. will be very similar in composition to the TP itself: primarily paper fiber with some carbonate filler and a host of softening and sizing agents. The reason that the paper does this is a debonder is added to TP to enable the rapid degradation of the sheet in the sewage systems. Compare this to facial tissue ("Kleenex") which is similar in feel but designed to hold it's form when in contact with moisture. Couple weak hydrogen bonding with highly refined short fibers and you have lots of pieces ready to break free.

As for the particles settling on your clothes I suspect that the majority of this is household dust, rather than paper dust, which is actually comprised primarily of dead skin cells. On the other hand I have no feel for the freqency with which you utilize TP or your exfoliating habits so YMMV.

I appreciate this very insightful post, thanks. Its for learning solid info like this that I made this thread. Some of you may think its funny because it doesn't happen to you, but for me it does seriously happen to me so it is not funny to me.

How would you advise me to solve this problem? That is the one part of your post I'm unsure about. Are you advising to me use Kleenex as toilet paper? Not sure I'd wanna do that simply because of how expensive it would get. Some other posters, if I'm understanding things correctly, advised me to use paper towels as toilet paper. Would you advise that too?

How do I attack the problem with ventilation? What kind of machine do I need? I have a small bachelor apartment so I don't have a lot of space.

It may be other dust particles in the air along with the TP particles that stick to my clothes...if so, same question. I wanna know what I can do, specifically, to completely 100% eliminate this problem.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
thats why you need to get a dog. no toilet paper and less dog food to buy.

laugh.gif
That is your best post to date.
laugh.gif

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
Would you have the same problem if you switched to corn cobs?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may be other dust particles in the air along with the TP particles that stick to my clothes...if so said:
No wipe and take a shower. Problem solved. where do you iron your clothes. I'd imagine the particles would have landed by then

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads