• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Togo Team Bus Attacked/World Cup Security?

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I love the comparison of Africa's porous borders, where violence has a history of spreading from country to country, where the rule of law is rather absent and where rebel militias have more power than many of the governments, to worrying about North Korea when you are in China or Moscow when you are in London.

facepalm.gif

nb4dum

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently Adebayor ran the length of the bus to celebrate in front of the gunners...

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Angola and South Africa are different countries. What does an attack taking place in Angola have to do with a competition in South Africa?

Did you have a problem with the olympics in China which has a rebelling (Tibet) province?

youre being such a PC little girl.

cerfvolant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Infrasonic
Apparently Adebayor ran the length of the bus to celebrate in front of the gunners...

A bit inappropriate maybe, but funny. hahah.

Quatsch

Reaction score
I think its a legitimate concern, and I often wonder how SA won the bid in the first place, unless it was given in hopes of digging them out of their ditch. From what I understand, a few years ago South Africa was kind of close to becoming a failed state.

Also, the comparison with China is ludicrous. Everything else aside, China is a much stronger and more stable nation than South Africa.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quatsch
I think its a legitimate concern, and I often wonder how SA won the bid in the first place, unless it was given in hopes of digging them out of their ditch. From what I understand, a few years ago South Africa was kind of close to becoming a failed state.

when Athens got the olympics a few years ago, it really fixed up a lot of the problems of the city - they had piss poor public transportation, bad roads, and some other things, they had to fix it all to get the olympics. now it seems that that is a model being used, rio gets the olympics, south africa gets the world cup, with the hope that they can leverage the events to fix up some infrastrucuture problems.

the problem is that this year it has come out that Greece has bigger economic problems than were previously uinderstood, and that may very well be related to the expenses of preparing for the olympics. interesting issue

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Greek problem is related to the fact that nobody pays tax fully and the whole economy revolves around "cash transactions". ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8413391.stm I've done business in Athens.
devil.gif

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
China is bordered by North Korea (Psycho regime with faulty Nukes), Kashmir (Guess), India (separatist rebellion), Russia (crazy russians, separatist fundamentalist muslims). NYRanger, where were you questioning the safety of the olympics?

You think Zimbabwe, Lesotho and Namibian guerillas are going to plant IEDs and mass **** rich white women during the olympics?

Globe, Yeah I do agree the crime rate in South Africa (Jo'burg no doubt not sure about Cape Town and Durban) is atrocious.

I think South African border control is not nearly what the patrol was like in China....so no, I had no question about the safety of fans and athletes in China. I wouldn't mind if my children went there, South Africa on the other hand...I would.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quatsch
Also, the comparison with China is ludicrous. Everything else aside, China is a much stronger and more stable nation than South Africa.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say South Africa is the brother from another mother to Sweden, but China is hardly stable. Sure it's "strong" (it has nukes and a massive army strong) but it has massive issues: border issues, ethnic issues, lopsided economy (reliant on exports to overleverage America), environmental issues. South Africa outdoes China on: Crime and Aids. With regard to ethnic issues I will agree that black South Africans seem to hate black African immigrants - same old low cost labor ****. IF I were visiting, I would stay away from hookers, girls a little too easy at the club and refrain from being an ignorant tourist and would feel fine navigating the place.

Simon Templar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Infrasonic
The Greek problem is related to the fact that nobody pays tax fully and the whole economy revolves around "cash transactions". ...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8413391.stm

I've done business in Athens.
devil.gif

Very true. Tax avoidance is a way of life. Result is a massive budget deficit.

But the Olympics were a blessing, in the sense that decrepit infrastructure got a badly needed makeover that would have never happened otherwise. Same applies to S.A. with the WC.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I wouldn't cancel or move it, I just think that it is going to be a huge challange. and there will be a handful of murders and rapes of drunk tourists. it'll be a learning process for the rio olympic games. I am much more worried about crime and riots that terror, although who knows.
The murder rate (and rate of disappearances) in South Africa is staggering. I heard some frightening statistics on rapes and murders (just the ones that are REPORTED!) by the HOUR. It was in the double digits in both cases I believe. People have no concept of how violent South Africa is. It is the most violent country in the world that is not at war.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
The murder rate (and rate of disappearances) in South Africa is staggering. I heard some frightening statistics on rapes and murders (just the ones that are REPORTED!) by the HOUR. It was in the double digits in both cases I believe. People have no concept of how violent South Africa is. It is the most violent country in the world that is not at war.

the security situation in south africa is similar to that of London's, so you have nothing to worry about if you are planning a visit.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField

true, no argument there. but the security industry is pretty good, too. if the govenrment decides that the best way to keep the world cup running smoothly is to dissappear a few thousand usual suspects, everybody benifits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics