• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toggle overcoat appropriate to a job interview?

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a recent grad (read poor) and I only own one overcoat as shown below. I'd like to know if it's appropriate to wear over a suit to an interview, sans hood of course. If it makes any difference, the interview is with a SF firm that boasts about not doing business as usual. I guess the question is would I look sillier showing up to the office in this jacket or with no jacket at all in 50* rainy weather? Thanks.
hickey-blackwatch-toggle-coat.jpg

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sans Hood its fine, but you're overcoat will be removed during the interview so no worries.

dshreter

Reaction score
The jacket may or may not be appropriate, I couldn't say, but you definitely won't look silly if you just wear a suit and bring an umbrella.

In terms of logistics, what are you going to do with the big coat once you get there? They're not going to hang it for you, then you'll likely have to carry it around interview to interview, or wherever you go there which will be a distraction.

I'm in SF right now too - I think you can get by warmth-wise with just a suit right now.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jesuz... i only break out a toggle coat if its in the low 30s or below... 50's is still light sweater/jacket weather.

so you can always just wear the suit and bring a small bag with an umbrella and the rest of your stuff in it.

good luck and godspeed with the interview SF is a great city to have that first big job in. (its true you always need a windbreaker in the city though).

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshreter
The jacket may or may not be appropriate, I couldn't say, but you definitely won't look silly if you just wear a suit and bring an umbrella. In terms of logistics, what are you going to do with the big coat once you get there? They're not going to hang it for you, then you'll likely have to carry it around interview to interview, or wherever you go there which will be a distraction. I'm in SF right now too - I think you can get by warmth-wise with just a suit right now.
I think they'll offer to take it to the coat room or let you hang it up somewhere. Most offices are capable of handling an overcoat. Your toggle overcoat reminds me of this:
americanpsycho460.jpg
The appropriate response to "is that a raincoat???" is "Yes It Is!!" in a very elated voice.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the coat will be fine, if you need one.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ask the receptionist to hang for you when you arrive at the office. No one in the interview will see it.

Twotone

acl1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twotone
Ask the receptionist to hang for you when you arrive at the office. No one in the interview will see it.

Twotone

+1. It does seem that a trench coat would be a good investment on your part as a recent graduate, however.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as it's longer than your suit jacket, you're OK. I saw some dude in a suit with a northface nuptse on over it. I almost caught a case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads