1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOFANI BESPOKE TAILOR NAPOLI

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SCALINVEST, Sep 21, 2015.

1. philipf90

philipf90 Member

Solito is starting at about €2,500 for a 2 piece these days

2. AlexRamius

AlexRamius Senior member

Well then, as of today, Tofani is something like a third less than Solito.

2 people like this.
  3. brax

brax Senior member

If your tailors asked you not to do something, then why are you doing? Dressing it up in the guise of a fifth grade math test test isn't clever.

4. AlexRamius

AlexRamius Senior member

It's not about being clever or keeping a mysterious secret.
    They just do not want people to contact them with a precise price.
    They do tend to slightly increase their price now and then, but "something like a third" is no math, it's sufficiently inacurrate to cover any increase for quite some time.

And btw, the suit is complete and should be delivered tomorrow!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    2 people like this.
  5. brax

brax Senior member

Great fabric choice and great execution. Congratulations. But I still would not have played the price game. Better to remain mum or get their approval to pm a potential customer about price.

6. Fantastic Mr Foxx

Fantastic Mr Foxx Senior member

I don't post on this forum often, but here's a picture/selfie of a jacket made by Davide Tofani, with exceptional detailing and finishing...

Here the gorge of the lapel has been lowered..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    2 people like this.
  7. brax

brax Senior member

Looks great. What is that jacketing?

8. Fantastic Mr Foxx

Fantastic Mr Foxx Senior member

It's from the H&S Sherry Tweed bunch.

9. AlexRamius

AlexRamius Senior member

Fresco suit on the way!
    Fittin by end of month :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. SCALINVEST

SCALINVEST Active Member

Congrats , gorgeous !

The master TOFANI is a great great tailor

Cheers

1 person likes this.
  11. minimalko

minimalko Member

Hi all,

I visited Sartoria Tofani while on vacation during Christmas holiday. I ordered one single breasted charcoal suit in four season Caccioppoli wool fabric and a single breasted overcoat in a heavy Holland & Sherry houndstooth fabric. Although it was holiday season, they took great care of me and managed to push one fitting of both garments in my seven days stay in Napoli.

The first thing that struck me in a very positive way when first contacting them was the speed and quality of communication. These guys are super responsive. They reply within minutes and communicate in perfect English that is spoken by Aristide, the son of Davide. Fluent English is not something you can easily find in Italian bespoke houses and I have visited quite a few, so they really are a wonderful rarity in this respect. Also the precisce communication and reliability when it comes to fullfiling the promised timelines is extremely nice - not always the case with Italian tailors. The perfect communication continued during the production phase and also after the delivery of the finished garments until present day.

I met Davide and Aristide the first morning upon my Arrival to Napoli. They are a very nice bunch. Davide doesnt speak English but he is very cheerful and humorous. You can tell he is passionate about his job and profoundly loves bespoke clothes and tailoring. Aristide is the fresh blood of the family firm. He seemed very serious about the business as he carefully discused and noted every detail of the order. He understands the great potential of technologies in the niche market that the bespoke tailoring is and smartly promotes the work of their house on the social medias. Together they are a very professional and modest couple. I really think they will become very big in the near future.

I am not totally new to the Italian bespoke market, I have more than a dozen bespoke suits made by another Italian tailoring house. The main difference in Sartoria Tofani and most of the other houses (at least those that are known to the international internet clientele) is that you deal directly with the people that are making your garments. There is no salesman who measures you and sends your order to a tailoring sweatshop. There is only Davide who take your measurments and then he cuts and makes the coat (together with Aristide who is doing part of the job). You feel much safer and confident in the end result being great when you deal only with the cutter and tailor in one person. To me, this is pretty unique and I can see their prices skyrocketing once the Japanese market discovers the operation.

I recieved the finished garments seven weeks later (would have been finished in a month if I didnt want to have the second fitting which wasnt needed at all by the way). The jacket construction is really soft as you would imagine. The shoulder line is so soft I can actually see the shape of my bones which I never experienced before. I can imagine it must be much harder to fit such shoulders properly than padded shoulders. The fit is very comfortable, the jacket does feel very light and moves naturaly with me. The lapels are oh so soft, no rigid armoured chest. Feels great. The details are also very nice. The pick stitching is very even, being in fact more of little lines than little dots. The front dart goes all the way down, which is also a new thing for me. The buttonholes are very neat. They dont do Milanese lapel buttonhole that I am used to, but their Neapolitan one is very refined (not the squished beatle kind that I often see on the web photos). The overcoat is a piece of art. They really nailed the fit and style I was hoping for. The suit trousers are beautiful too. They were probably made by the Tofani brother of Davide, but I wasnt lucky enough to meet him in the person.

To briefly summarize, my experience with the Sartoria Tofani was a very pleasurable one and I would definitely recommend anyone to try their services. I already ordered another jacket with them and I am really looking forward to my next Naples trip in April.

I am attaching some pictures of the jacket and the overcoat below:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  12. aristoi bcn

aristoi bcn Senior member

I saw pictures of your overcoat in their instagram. It is indeed very nice, is the cloth from the Pardessus book?

Did you request bellied lapels in your jacket? I've seen some pictures of their work that have bellied lapels but some others not. I'm curious to know if they do this as default. Anyway, people's reports on Tofani have always shown very good work and they seem very friendly and profesional.

Very good photos by the way. Thanks for sharing.

13. minimalko

minimalko Member

Thank you. I understand that by bellied lapels you probably meant the lapel roll. I did not ask specificaly for lapel roll since I expected that automaticaly with bespoke jacket of this level. There is allways the roll, the size of it is probably dependent on the fabric weight and model of the jacket. Three roll two jacket will have larger lapel roll than two button jacket I guess.

1 person likes this.
  14. aristoi bcn

Not quite, I was referring to the cut of the lapel.

Bellied lapels:

[​IMG]

Concave lapels.

[​IMG]

15. AlexRamius

AlexRamius Senior member

@aristoi bcn
    From what i know, the lapels are straight, but the roll makes them look like they are a bit concave.

They often do bellied lapels on double breasted, but i don't know if it comes from them or the customers.

1 person likes this.
  16. minimalko

minimalko Member

I think that most of the effect is an optical illusion caused by the lapel roll. They are almost straight, with a very very slight outward curve. Maybe Aristide could chime in and clarify as he knows much more about the cut than any of us. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. aristoi bcn

Yes, that's was I was referring to.

Look at this pictures. This is also Tofani. I think the difference is easily visible. Rubinacci does also do bellied lapels. I prefer concave lapels, but hey, it's just a matter of style.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. minimalko

minimalko Member

I spoke to Aristide
    I spoke to Aristide yesterday. He explained to me that the lapel cut differs from garment to garment. By default, when there is no customer request, they cut the single breasted jacket lapels "pretty straight". With double breasted, they prefer to cut the lapels with a bit of an outward curve. They however always try to keep away from the extremes, trying to stay in the middle.

I susspect that the angle of the photo is a big factor too and it might as well be the same "Tofani default" lapel shape as mine. The fabric is much thicker there, the lapel curves differently under its own weight, plus there is a real torso wearing it, not just a hanger [​IMG]. All these contribute greatly to the overall appearance of the lapel shape.

2 people like this.