• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toe taps

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you put toe taps or other protective devices on the soles of your good dress shoes?

aybojs

Reaction score
Where can someone purchase toe taps at an affordable price?

ViroBono

Reaction score
Absolutely. But then, metal tips (known in UK as 'Blakeys' (after a maker), or 'segs' in the north), and heel quarters are traditional in the military, at least amongst Officers and Warrant Officers. Whilst they make a splendid noise as one strides down the corridor, I confess that modern flooring occasionally forces me to do ice-skating impressions....

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only when wear begins to show after the first 1-2 wearings. Then I take them to my neighborhood shoe repair shop and they add toe and heel taps for $6, while I wait.

indylion

Reaction score
Never wear toe or heel taps.. You should have more than one pair of shoes. What type of style are you showing by wearing shoe taps/plates?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Definitely yea - the tips of the toes can wear out LONG before the rest of the sole.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with indylion. I have quite a few pairs and would never wear taps because of the slippage already mentioned and I just don't like that sound. I prefer the sound the leather makes.

watchingdetails2002

Reaction score
I prefer only the metal plates on the heels of my shoes. However I do have a friend that likes them on the toes as well he feels that they protect for toes and heels. I must admit the heels of shoes don't wear down so quickly now and it is cheaper to replace plates than heels. I also understand about the the Ice skating effect.

Patrick06790

Reaction score
I must confess - I don't get it. Wouldn't you make an unbearable racket just walking down the hall?

Or is there a sinister cabal of tap-dancers out there...

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In an ideal world, people would walk their soles through evenly, right in the centre of the sole. But people walk differently and according to their individual walking pattern, put different stress at different sections of the soles. Some people have no problems with excessive wear of the tips, others do, particular if the shoes are pointed and elongated. I ruin my toes in next to no time and, even as a child, had metal toe pieces nailed on. About six or seven years ago, I discovered toe pieces that were actually set into the sole. I believe that is the best way to protect the tips if you wear the toes hard. J M Weston and the German firm of Dinkelacker produce some of their heavier designs with these set-in toe pieces as part of the specifications. Otherwise you'll have to find a cobbler who can fit them. It's quite a delicate job and very few still can do it.
017.jpg
Second best solution are nailed on toe protectors in either metal or plastic. Third is an additional row of nails in the toe area. (I ruin these almost as fast as if they were not there.) But you might not be as hard on your toes as I am. Toe pieces (even metal ones) don't make any excessive noise; metal heals make one hell of a noise. (I once tried them and had them removed a week or so later.) Ultimately it all depends on your particular walking pattern.

mano

Reaction score
metal heals make one hell of a noise. (I once tried them and had them removed a week or so later.) Ultimately it all depends on your particular walking pattern.
I have a pair of shoes with metal heal taps and I'm removing them immediately. I suffer from having post-traumatic flashbacks of people staring at me at the supermarket whenever I wear them.
crazy.gif

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually wear out first through the balls of the foot, so I skip on the taps. They're not really gonna do anything for me.

alflauren

Reaction score
Time to resurrect a thread...

I would like to try metal toe taps on my shoes. I have called three cobblers in the area, and none of them provide that sort of service. They are happy to nail on a hard rubber tap, but I think those are ugly as &$%^&.

So, I'd like to take a pair of crappy dress shoes and try to inset a metal tap like the picture in post #10. I figure I can probably do it with some light Dremel and knife work. But - where do I get the taps? Has anyone seen them offered for sale anywhere? Please let me know. Thanks!

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Never, though for purely asthetic reasons. I do have a few pair of Greens and Westons that have metal toe plates and they are noisy as hell.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alflauren
Time to resurrect a thread...

I would like to try metal toe taps on my shoes. I have called three cobblers in the area, and none of them provide that sort of service. They are happy to nail on a hard rubber tap, but I think those are ugly as &$%^&.

So, I'd like to take a pair of crappy dress shoes and try to inset a metal tap like the picture in post #10. I figure I can probably do it with some light Dremel and knife work. But - where do I get the taps? Has anyone seen them offered for sale anywhere? Please let me know. Thanks!

Sounds like an interesting experiment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads