1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Toe taps

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambulance Chaser, May 27, 2005.

1. wilson brother

wilson brother Senior member

I thought this was about how you tap your toes when your favorite song is on the player.

I am doing that now with Wendy (the song) [​IMG]

2. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

As Earthmover notes above, the construction of the shoe itself might be a consideration. I recently found 2 pairs of Mantellassi and 1 pair of StefanoBi shoes, all of Norvegese construction (actually the StefanoBis look like some grand and frightening combination of Bentivegna and Norvegese). These are the only shoes I've put protectors on, mostly because I don't think there are any good answers to the question of what to do once these particular shoes wear out.
    A year or so ago I found a great pair of classic Weston hunt shoes at the thrift store. They were apparently very well cared for and in a magnificent shade of brown. I brought them home and set out to convince myself that I actually liked them. It took me a long time to figure out that they had been resoled by glueing a new sole onto the bottom. The work was very well done, but it still somehow upset the whole balance and look of the shoe (and I'm certainly not extremely precise or picky, this was just my natural reaction).
    Anyway, there's a reason few find cause to disagree with bengal-stripe. If you find yourself wearing out the toe prematurely, the inset metal seems like an elegant solution with a fine historical precedent.

3. moonraker2

moonraker2 New Member

I seem to be quite hard on the toes of my soles, so I get most of my shoes fitted with steel taps. About £2 in any decent cobbler in the UK.

I like the noise, and coming from a military background it is ingrained in me as the sound of importance and authority.

This allows me to continue with my delusion that I am someone of consequence.

Yes toe tips as we call them in the UK work well, the blakey type can be fitted right at the edge of the toe. These come in various sizes and are best fitted when the shoe is new to stop wear.

I also use the UK style built in 1/4 steel heels. These fit flush with the heel and i usually get them done with a leather top piece as well . I find the toes dont make much noise, but the heels do.

4. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Inset rubber, the best of all worlds:

[​IMG]

- B

5. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Inset brass >> inset rubber. New Yorkers, stop f***ing around and protect your toes. Empire Shoes, 991 Lexington FTW.

1 person likes this.
  6. TheGreek

TheGreek Senior member

I agree with indylion. I have quite a few pairs and would never wear taps because of the slippage already mentioned and I just don't like that sound. I prefer the sound the leather makes.

Once you hit a nice patch of ice, your going for a ride!

7. Florian Gray

Florian Gray Senior member

How easy is it to remove heel and toe taps?

8. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Metal toe tips are great, but getting them replaced where I am is impossible. So, I have started getting rubber toe tips built into the shoes I order. When they wear out, simply send to my regular cobbler who cuts a small Topy piece to replace the original rubber piece. Rubber does not slip, unlike metal, an added advantage. Metal looks better though [​IMG]

9. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

^^^ You can still replace the metal toe taps with rubber ones, no? Is there anything special about metal toe taps that make your cobbler unable to replace it with cut out Topy?

10. Florian Gray

I was asking if it's possible to remove them, not replace them.

11. watchingdetails2002

watchingdetails2002 Senior member

If the toe tap is inbeded in the toe, it can not be removed. You will have to have the shoes resoled. I use metal plates on my heels and I use nails to attach them. they can be removed.

12. Florian Gray

13. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

On my John Lobb , i had to pay a fair amount to have them done through them...
    I love them and especially the clic noise on the pavement...

14. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

Would you know if these are inbeded?
    They are simple add ons, will leave nail marks and possibly a minor indent from the pad. I would think those pads change your gait slightly, and cant understand. But then again Ive never understood the stuff you see on TV with plastic covers the couches either. Ive found the to taps to be increasingly important the thicker the soles are, due to stiffness of several layers the tips wear faster and harder in my opinion.

15. watchingdetails2002

watchingdetails2002 Senior member

These are added, they will leave nail holes behind.

16. Sean Archer

Sean Archer Senior member

Where can someone purchase toe taps at an affordable price?

ebay

17. Sean Archer

Sean Archer Senior member

How easy is it to remove heel and toe taps?

Stupidly easy. Pulling a thin nail out of leather.

18. youngScholar

youngScholar Senior member

I've been using plastic heel taps and Topy soles ever since getting my first pair of good shoes. The only exception to this was when I was in Denmark, where taps seem to be unheard of. [​IMG]

19. ajv

ajv Senior member

A steel toe tap put in by a true cobbler will be screwed in and not nailed. And if done properly, the cobbler normally takes the equivalent of the tap's thickness off the sole.

because of that it will be very easy to take off the toe tap, but at the same time very damageable to the sole..........

20. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]