• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

toe of sole getting scuffed badly

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On literally the first wearing, the toe part of the sole of the shoe, after just brief walking, got all scuffed and raised up as you can see. It now sticks out the front of the shoe and is visible. I've never had this happen with another pair of my shoes. What's up with this?
P1010450.jpg
P1010451.jpg

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What brand of shoes are these? Are the soles channelled?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This happens to all my good shoes. On the channeled ones, the stitching starts to get exposed, too. I figured it had something to do with the way I walk, but I don't know how to prevent it.

dan

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Grenson Masterpieces
Not surprising. It looks to me like the leather flap that covers the channel has come unglued at the toe. This is liable to happen on any channelled shoe when the channel is cut into the sole from the side of the sole (as it is with EG, John Lobb Paris, Crocket & Jones Handgrades, and Grenson Masterpieces, among others) instead of from the face of the sole (as it is with Vass shoes, among others). It's happened on all of my C&J and Grenson shoes and none of my EG and JL Paris shoes. My hypothesis is that EG and JL Paris do a better job of sealing the channel, but I don't know.

I don't know of anything that you can do once it happens. It certainly does not ruin the shoes.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that's happening with a pair of Zegna Napoli Couture loafers I have (made by Ferragamo I guess?) that I've worn probably twenty times.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. I feel a little better about it now. Although, after noticing the problem with these, I checked out some of my other shoes. I must say, I am a little disconcerted by how hard I seem to be on the soles on some of them, particularly the toes. Some are fine, but many are very worn indeed. Check out the soles of these Moreschis. Now, I know I haven't worn these more than 3-5 times. I know don't scuff my feet, but perhaps there is something in the way I walk... ?
confused.gif
P1010452.jpg

marc37

Reaction score
The sole of my Moreschi's got ripped open after 6 wears. Very dissapointing.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Put toe protectors on your shoes. I buy the packs of plastic toe/heel protectors and use the heel plates for the toe (the included toe plates are too small to be of any use.) The included nails are too long so I just stick them on with the adhesive backing. They stay put on my shoes.

Metal ones would be better, but I haven't found any in the correct shape/size yet.

Alex_O

Reaction score
Great Idea Harris Ill have to look into that. Recently when this reached a high level of annoyance for me on one particular pair of shoes. I cut off the exposed leather, and filled it in with silicon rubber sealer . Seems to be staying put.
biggrin.gif
Its a clear sealer.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have the same problem; I walk toes down in next to no time. By far the best solution are steel plates set into the toes:
017s.jpg
You might have difficulties finding a repair shop competent enough to do it, although it can be done. Next best thing are crescent-shaped steel plates nailed (screwed is even better) onto the soles. (Here in the UK they are called "Blakeys" after the manufacturer). Even a row of copper nails (as many Italian manufactures do) provides some protection; although not for me, as I am really good in chewing up the toe-part of the soles.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do you have to put these plates on before a first wearing, or is it ok to put them on once the problem has already started...?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That picture might explain things better:
DSC000774.jpg
Back: Edward Green shoes with set-in toe plates (although they only do it on request) Front: Cleverley with double row of nails.
do you have to put these plates on before a first wearing, or is it ok to put them on once the problem has already started...?
The plates can be put in at a later time as the worn bits get cut away. I think the plates are 1 mm thick; your tips should not have been worn beyond that point, definitely not down to the welt.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it customary to put a plate on the heel as well as the toe?

Great pic, by the way, the sole looks so good with the nails in the toe.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny thing with this topic, I have a guy wanting to sue our store for selling him a pair of the Grensons, size 6 1/2, in the store that are seperating at the toe the same way. We told him we could fix it and that he needs to put toe-taps on them and they would be fine...he commented that a quality shoe would never do this, and here we are discussing the fact that many brands with channeled soles will do the same thing...where was this topic a couple of weeks ago?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads