1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Toe metal protectors

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Haemus, Sep 21, 2008.

1. HelloMrFancyPants

HelloMrFancyPants Active Member

The plates I've had installed at Empire don't go up to the welt, they are fastened into a groove cut in the outsole with shallow brass screws. It doesn't take a great thickness of metal to add a good deal of durability.

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

The plates I've had installed at Empire don't go up to the welt, they are fastened into a groove cut in the outsole with shallow brass screws. It doesn't take a great thickness of metal to add a good deal of durability.

That sounds great.

- B

3. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

The one issue with flush plates being retrofitted, rather than made with that in mind, is that the welt would have to be cut around the toe.

I don't really see this. Surely the metal toe plates wouldn't be so thick as to require cutting up into the welt. My visualization of the process would have maybe 2 mm. of the outsole (maybe half its thickness at the toe) cut back to accommodate the plate, with, perhaps, some very short nails used along with glue. However, I've never had this done after purchase, so would be interested in learning more about it.

I have to agree with Roger on this one. Since the plates do appear to be about 2mm thick, the cobbler would only need to sand/trim down that much outer sole leather. With a lot of channelled soles, that would not be deep enough to expose the channel, definitely not deep enough to reach the welt.

For sure, the procedure would cut into the stitching on a stitched aloft sole. My guess is they dab a bit of glue to prevent further fraying, and then proceed with the installation of the taps. Unless you later have the misfortune of stepping into a vat of solvent, the sole won't come apart. Keep in mind that all the layers of outsole leather are glued together, not just stitched. I used to wear down the soles on Bass Weejuns way past the visible stitching without any consequence.

Unfortunately, there's no chance in hell I could find flush mounted plates around here. It's even less likely I'd trust one of the key/shoe repair shops with the work if I managed to source the plates myself.

I have settled for a bunch of metal taps similar to the ones zjpj83 had installed on his shoes: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...72&postcount=6

I plan on installing them myself once I go out and get shorter nails/screws/tacks than the ones included.

4. XdryMartini

XdryMartini Senior member

I'm looking at getting an MTO G&G in the near future. Does anyone know if G&G will put these on as part of the order?

I've seen a lot of G&G bespoke with them added (however I can't quite afford them yet!)

Yes, G&G will do toe plates on MTO's and stock shoes... Two kinds as well. Regular and beveled like on their bespoke. When I get home, I'll link a few pics...

5. Imakeyourshoes

Imakeyourshoes Active Member

I have to agree with Roger on this one. Since the plates do appear to be about 2mm thick, the cobbler would only need to sand/trim down that much outer sole leather. With a lot of channelled soles, that would not be deep enough to expose the channel, definitely not deep enough to reach the welt.

For sure, the procedure would cut into the stitching on a stitched aloft sole. My guess is they dab a bit of glue to prevent further fraying, and then proceed with the installation of the taps. Unless you later have the misfortune of stepping into a vat of solvent, the sole won't come apart. Keep in mind that all the layers of outsole leather are glued together, not just stitched. I used to wear down the soles on Bass Weejuns way past the visible stitching without any consequence.

Unfortunately, there's no chance in hell I could find flush mounted plates around here. It's even less likely I'd trust one of the key/shoe repair shops with the work if I managed to source the plates myself.

I have settled for a bunch of metal taps similar to the ones zjpj83 had installed on his shoes: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...72&postcount=6

I plan on installing them myself once I go out and get shorter nails/screws/tacks than the ones included.

I think he meant the stitching around the toe instead of the welt, when the guy at work fits the sunken taps on our shoes he cuts into the channel and slices it off with a knife across the toe, as opposed to that french site showing it being scoured, which would take the stitches out for sure on welted, but when he does it at our place you can still see the stitches keeping it all together before he attaches the taps with a cordless drill, they fit flush this way and its still lockstitched together also, its simple if you know how to use a knife

6. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

I think he meant the stitching around the toe instead of the welt, when the guy at work fits the sunken taps on our shoes he cuts into the channel and slices it off with a knife across the toe, as opposed to that french site showing it being scoured, which would take the stitches out for sure on welted, but when he does it at our place you can still see the stitches keeping it all together before he attaches the taps with a cordless drill, they fit flush this way and its still lockstitched together also, its simple if you know how to use a knife

^This should put everyone's concerns to rest. It is also interesting to note that installation by the maker is not less intrusive than a retrofitting, as others may have been led to believe. Thank you for the inside knowledge Imakeyourshoes. I certainly wish you would post here more often!

7. voxsartoria

Imakeyourshoes, your posts rock.

- B

8. voxsartoria

^This should put everyone's concerns to rest. It is also interesting to note that installation by the maker is not less intrusive than a retrofitting, as others may have been led to believe. Thank you for the inside knowledge Imakeyourshoes. I certainly wish you would post here more often!

I'm not sure that's what he meant, since the proviso is that the person who is installing the toe plate knows how to handle a knife properly. As I. points out, that is not how the French site shows it being done.

Such cobblers are a subset of those who put toe plates on. If you have someone like that around, great, but that is going to be a rare thing in the U.S. at least.

- B

9. Imakeyourshoes

the french site is scouring because its not a welted shoe, its a sole unit, which is why hes scouring it, nothing in there to damage, with a channelled sole you can't really go scouring it, a knife allows you to do it slower

10. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

the french site is scouring because its not a welted shoe, its a sole unit, which is why hes scouring it, nothing in there to damage, with a channelled sole you can't really go scouring it, a knife allows you to do it slower

[​IMG]

Regards.

11. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Understood. However, can you say that the method shown on the french site, although different than yours, is wrong?

12. Imakeyourshoes

no of course its not wrong, thats how you would do it if it was a sole unit, but the original concern was about a welted shoe, so i explained how they do it for them, nobody would faff about with a knife when you can go to a scourer and do it in 10 seconds if possible

13. A Y

A Y Senior member

These nails won't produce anything like the protective effect of a metal toe plate. They're little more than purely decorative.

According to G&G, they do protect the toe, but not as well as a toe plate.

--Andre

14. voxsartoria

no of course its not wrong, thats how you would do it if it was a sole unit, but the original concern was about a welted shoe, so i explained how they do it for them, nobody would faff about with a knife when you can go to a scourer and do it in 10 seconds if possible

That's because your colleagues and you in Northampton know what you are doing.

Sadly, when it comes to shoes, cobbling talent is getting scarce on this side of the Atlantic.

- B

15. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

That's because your colleagues and you in Northampton know what you are doing.

Not to forget the rest of European's shoe making elite. [​IMG]

My cobbler uses a knife.

Anecdote: I asked a well known shoemaker to install flushed plates on a wood-pegged sole and I wanted to watch the procedure, so he invited me into his workshop. After he did one, I asked him to do it myself. I nearly sanded down the sole, but we could save the shoe. Conclusion: Take the knife and it is a safe call.

16. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm looking at getting an MTO G&G in the near future. Does anyone know if G&G will put these on as part of the order?

They will.

17. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Imakeyourshoes, as far as your firm is concerned, are we to understand that you install flush mounted plates on welted shoes the same way, whether as part of a MTO job, full bespoke or retrofitting?

What I mean by that is when a customer specifies flush mounted plates, do you finish the sole any differently to allow/prepare for that? I always assumed that even if it's specified by a customer right from the start, it is no different than a retrofitting: the `plate guy` (for lack of better/proper term) is handed a pair of shoes with fully finished soles to work on. Is that the case?

18. soleman

soleman New Member

Great link!! I get the protective soles on all my shoes and it really helps!! The flush metal plates are interesting but I know I could not use them in my office building--too loud and slippery on the marble floors

19. Roger

Roger Senior member

Just a small point here. It seems as though this would work fine as long as the channel is close to 2 mm. deep, but what if it isn't? Suppose the stitches sit at a 1 mm. depth from the sole surface, for example. Or, more generally, what if the stitches in the channel are at a depth that is less than the thickness of the toe plate? Does the cobbler then grind down the toe plate to make it sit flush?

20. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Just a small point here. It seems as though this would work fine as long as the channel is close to 2 mm. deep, but what if it isn't? Suppose the stitches sit at a 1 mm. depth from the sole surface, for example. Or, more generally, what if the stitches in the channel are at a depth that is less than the thickness of the toe plate? Does the cobbler then grind down the toe plate to make it sit flush?

Maybe they carefully cut around the stiches, slowly removing all the leather necessary (down to 2mm) without even slicing into the stitching. That area of stitching, although still attached, would be `loose`, having 2mm less leather under it. Tightening the plate down over those stitches would prevent them from coming undone. Just a thought...