• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tods driving mocs

Pink22m

Reaction score
I plan on buying a pair of Tods when I visit Italy in a couple weeks. Does anyone know how they run size wise? My other pairs of driving mocs are both 9 1/2's and they are by To Boot New York and JCrew.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink22m
I plan on buying a pair of Tods when I visit Italy in a couple weeks. Does anyone know how they run size wise? My other pairs of driving mocs are both 9 1/2's and they are by To Boot New York and JCrew.

I wear a 9 1/2 in most laceups, sometimes a 9 if the toebox is wide enough. I take an 8 in Tod's.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also go down at least one size, sometimes a size and one half in Tods.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking at some Tods as well as To Boot yesterday?

How do others think the two compare? The To Boot looked much better honestly - much softer leather, etc.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tod's sizing is very strange, I wear a 7EU in some a 8EU in others, its really one of the only shoes I'd never buy without trying on because of the variability. You'll enjoy the store near the Via Condotti, its large and filled with charming women.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer Tod's, and if you are in NYC they can be had at C21 for under $200. I find the leather wears well and softens over time. My favorite driving shoe company has been bought by Prada and the label is now Car Shoe for Prada. I have only seen them in the US at Prada stores, and the only Car Shoe store I found in Italy was in Capri. They show a video in the store of how they are each handmade, and takes you through the whole process, really interesting.

Pink22m

Reaction score
I was looking at some Tods as well as To Boot yesterday?

How do others think the two compare? The To Boot looked much better honestly - much softer leather, etc.
I don't have any experience with Tods, so I can't tell you anything about them. I have thoroughly enjoyed my To Boot New York's however, and they have worn well over time, with the leather getting softer and the shoes getting more and more comfortable. They have elicited numerous compliments as well. The model that I own is the predecessor to the current model out, the Corsica, which has a pebble grain finish. I might end up buying a pair of Corsicas, especially given my satisfaction with To Boot. I recently purchased a pair by JCrew to knock around in while I am in Europe, and so far, they definetely feel inferior to my To Boots.

I prefer Tod's, and if you are in NYC they can be had at C21 for under $200. I find the leather wears well and softens over time. My favorite driving shoe company has been bought by Prada and the label is now Car Shoe for Prada. I have only seen them in the US at Prada stores, and the only Car Shoe store I found in Italy was in Capri. They show a video in the store of how they are each handmade, and takes you through the whole process, really interesting.
I will have to check this place out. How much do the Car Shoe's run? A fellow forum member that I have messaged with who is from Italy, tells me there is a Car Shoe store in Milan on the same street as the Tods boutique on Via della Spiga.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife purchaed a pair of suede moc's for around $225, however this was 3 years ago, but they still look brand new after a lot of NYC abuse. I actually purchased mine through Bluefly for $125, when no one really heard of the brand. They are back on Bluefly, but it looks like they are quite a bit more. http://www.bluefly.com/pages/product...erer=p_froogle

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Reportedly, Oprah wanted to do a show where at the end of it she'd give all audience members a free Tod's handbag. The CEO of Tod's instead of jumping at the chance to build brand image decided due to quality standards not to do it. I think that speaks volumes about the product.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, Car Shoes are really nice, too. They are usually available on Yoox. Slightly cheaper than Car Shoes for Prada and Tod's.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Reportedly, Oprah wanted to do a show where at the end of it she'd give all audience members a free Tod's handbag. The CEO of Tod's instead of jumping at the chance to build brand image decided due to quality standards not to do it. I think that speaks volumes about the product.

I'm skeptical. How in the world could Tod's not have sufficient stock for an Oprah audience? Was she wanting something special made at a moment's notice?

Beyond that, Tod's driving mocs aren't exactly the most durable things.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I heard it first hand from the Las Vegas store manager who used to work in Italy at the home office. From what he told me most bags you see in the store are created at a lot of not more than 100 for the world, usually 20 - 30% of that stock actually makes it to the states.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you seen her impact on books presented on her show? Worldwide demand would be too much for Tod's. I don't think Tod's wants to be that common.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
Have you seen her impact on books presented on her show? Worldwide demand would be too much for Tod's. I don't think Tod's wants to be that common.

Maybe I've underestimated Oprah's power for moving high-end goods. I can see selling books, but pricey accessories?

I wonder if any of the car models Oprah gave away got a boost out of it.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt Tod's main market is the same as Oprah's main audience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads