1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Todd Shelton - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Todd Shelton, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Todd Shelton

Todd Shelton Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

Nice hearing from someone who has "very specific polo needs". I enjoyed reading that. With self fabric I assume you like a collar band, right? And do you like a lightweight fusible in the collar and placket - or not? Thanks.

2. Todd Shelton

We have an IPR offer happening through the weekend on 3 new colors of Thermal Waffle. We generally have the greatest surge of orders for a product the first week it releases. We group those orders together in a larger production run, we're able to be more efficient, so we offer a discount during that time. IPR stands for Initial Production Run. This fabric is from Japan and the shirt is made in our East Rutherford, NJ factory. You can shop it here: https://toddshelton.com/

I think the value of a thermal waffle is the texture and the vintage sensibility - it says something different than a t-shirt. I also think a thermal waffle is good for 9 months out of the year, so it's not just a cold weather shirt. If you have any thoughts on thermal waffle, let me know.

2019_0119_thermal2.jpg
    2019_0119_thermal.jpg

3. Todd Shelton

Oxford fabric was originally made in Scotland in the 1800's. It was named after Oxford University. Story goes...British Polo players started to favor the fabric for its breathable qualities, but they wanted to stop their collars from flapping in the wind, so they put a button on the shirt body to hold the collar down - and that's how the button-down collar came to be. That information came from this article.

We just released 3 dark colored Oxfords: Black, Navy, Olive. I think dark colored oxfords go better with jeans than any other shirt fabric. What do you think?

2019_0122_oxford1.jpg 2019_0122_oxford3.jpg 2019_0126_oxford3.jpg

You can see these shirts here: https://toddshelton.com/shirts
    The Initial Production Run offer is open through Monday.

4. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member

Best shirts with jeans? Plaid flannels. Recent example:
    2D07D2DA-239B-4C06-9373-207CF1428E8E.jpeg

I have two garment dyed OCBDs, but they rarely get worn. I imagine they would look really nice once they are broken in and faded, but I’m not wearing them enough to get there.

The shirts look really nice in the picture you posted above, but the seams lack the characteristic puckering of an OCBD. Are they simply unwashed or are you using a fabric that lays cleaner at the seams?

5. Todd Shelton

Shirt and outfit looks good! I like the vintage white in the shirt. I want to start playing with vintage white yarns in some of our fabrics replacing bright white.

You're right, we don't follow some of the rules you'll see in Classic Menswear - and that's true with our shirts, jeans, trousers. Probably because we didn't know all the rules when we started, but I'm glad we didn't. We've learned rules over the years and have adopted some and rejected some. At this point, our details are intentional, but they'll keep evolving as we learn more.

We wash our fabrics before we cut - there's little to no shrinkage left in the fabric when we sew - so our seams are more flat after the customer washes (no tension within the stitches). Puckering can happen when the fabric shrinks for the first time after washing - and it's most visible in the seams because of the tension from stitching.

6. Patrick R

Bright white can make for cool pictures, but I find it hard to wear in real life. I found this buffalo plaid with an indigo/cream pattern and now I want more buffalo plaids with [color]/cream. If you can make them, I can buy them!

I think the method you use for these shirts matches your aesthetic very well.
    :cheers:

7. pgh

pgh New Member

The oxfords look really nice.

As for your question about polos, I just can't get into them in general - If I'm going to wear jersey cloth it's going to be on a t-shirt. The single collar design, to offer a different point of view, looks a little too...tech wear aesthetic imo. It's not a classic design and while it's sleek it really looks like the type of polo that only a certain type of futurist is gonna wear on weekends. I'm maybe not the best person to ask because I swore off any type of polos 16 years ago but if I had to wear one it wouldn't be that single piece collar.

8. Todd Shelton

Thank you (regarding the oxfords).

I haven't worn a polo is over 16 years as well. But as I've mentioned in this discussion, I'm interested right now in the space between t-shirts and button-up shirts. Polo's are in that space, so we've started sampling with different fabrics. But Polo's might not work for our brand. We're also exploring new ways to use henley's and lightweight sweatshirts in interesting fabrics to fill that space.

I agree the one piece collar posted here would be for advanced users, you'd have to be willing to stand out.

9. Patrick R

Subscribed.

10. Todd Shelton

11. Todd Shelton

This February, we're dedicating the entire month to denim releases. This is the 10 Year Anniversary of our best-selling product Pro Original Selvedge Jeans.
    -
    The first bit of denim news is that now offering Button Fly jeans - so all of our jeans now come with a Zipper or Button Fly option.
    -
    Second, we updated our sizing charts. Now you can see every important measurement for every fit.
    -
    Third, we photographed four different rises on the same guy, so you can see what changes when rise increases or decreases. Tweaking your rise is the next step in advancing your jean fit. You can see this by clicking on "Help" beside the Rise fit option.
    -
    Fourth, we re-photographed our entire jean collection. Let me know what you think.

Here's the schedule:

2019_0128_denim_month24.jpg

12. Splash Pitman

Splash Pitman Active Member

I love wearing henleys new ones for casual knock around and once they wear to a shabby look they migrate to my work rotation .
    I like the look of the waffle style , will they be returning this year ?

13. Todd Shelton

Good to hear from you. We released the waffle in the fall, it did well, so we brought it back in early January in a couple of new colors. It's done well enough for us to invest more time into fabric and design, so yes, I think it will come back in the Fall in a new fabric and design. We've already started to get new waffle fabric development in from 2 of the knit mills we use. I think waffle can be a style that comes around every year in the fall and runs through the cold months.

14. Todd Shelton

I posted a poll here about zip fly vs button fly a couple of days ago. We have over 100 responses in now through our newsletter, here, instagram, and twitter.

So far, 67% prefer zip fly. 33% button fly.

We just added button fly as an option and this information helps us gauge what to expect for this coming year. If you participated, thanks.

15. Splash Pitman

Splash Pitman Active Member

I prefer buttons but it really doesn't matter as Iv gone off denim and returned to the moleskins I used to wear , the brand I like use this Italian fabric that is as tuff as nails but soft like wearing sweatpants and they only come in zipper option .
    Just checked out you're site and come pay day I'll bag a Henley only I wish I'd got in early for more colour options .