1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Todd Shelton - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Todd Shelton, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Todd Shelton

Todd Shelton Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

For those of you who wear Polo style shirts, which fabrics and styles do you prefer?

Fabric
    Pique knit, like the original Polo and Lacoste.
    Or the Jersey knit (t-shirt style fabric), which has become more popular recently.

Collar
    Collars that attach to the body of the shirt.
    Or collars that attach to a collar band (more like a traditional shirt collar/band).

This is a traditional style.
    This is a more current style.

2. azcowboy

azcowboy Member

3. Bridgeandtunnelguy

Bridgeandtunnelguy Member

Glad to hear that Todd Shelton will be expanding into Polo Shirts this spring / summer. My favorite Made in the USA polo shirts are from Bills Khakis. Here is a link:

https://www.billskhakis.com/mens-knits

These polo shirts are Pique knit and I believe the collar attaches to the body of the shirt.

Gustin also makes Polo Shirts in the USA using both Pique knit fabric (from Japan) and Jersey knit. I only buy the Pique knit Polo Shirts. Here is a link to an example:

https://www.weargustin.com/store/knits-japan-pique-polo-sky

Obviously, I like the fact that the Gustin polos are less expensive than the Bills Khakis polos (and the Gustin Polos in size XS fit me a lot better than the Bills Khakis Polos in size S, but that's a personal issue), but I also like the fact that the Bills Khakis Polos use a different Rib knit fabric for the collar (Gustin uses the same fabric for the body of the shirt and the collar - probably a cost savings).

I prefer Polo shirts with no logos (both Gustin and Bills Khakis do not put any brand logos on their Polo shirts)

4. Todd Shelton

That's good information, thanks. I have meetings this week with 2 different knit mills we've used in the past to look at all of our options. I'm planning on having a first run available for customer tests in early April. Polos fits nicely into the knit expertise and machines we already have in place - and customers have been requesting them. After a few sample rounds I'll know if this is a product I think we can improve, and if we get past that, the next step will be to open it up to customer tests.

Thanks for the note! It's helpful.

5. Todd Shelton

A collar band does help break up a longish neck situation. That's good insight, thanks!

6. beargonefishing

beargonefishing Distinguished Member

One piece collar if possible.

vintage_navy_pique_polo_1481421907_93d4162d.jpg

7. angryjeans

angryjeans Member

I too have a Gustin polo made from
    I also have a Gustin polo made from Japanese pique knit fabric. It was my favorite thing I have bought from them. I also have some Steve Alan Japanese pique polo shirts. I prefer this over jersey for one reason. I like the polo to have a slim fit. I find that a jersey material in a slim fit makes me look like I have man boobs. The pique material holds form better and looks better slim. I also have a slub cotton one from Alex Mill that has the attached collar band style. If you want to see some samples of polos let me know and I will bring a couple by next time I stop by.

8. Todd Shelton

Wow, that's a first. I've never seen that collar before. Thanks for sending.

Good points on fabric structure. The jersey knit polo is definitely even more casual - and probably more revealing. Sure, if you remember, bring them with you next time. Thanks.

9. beargonefishing

beargonefishing Distinguished Member

I love the one piece collar look. Here is another example from Yeossal

IMG_4287_1000x.jpg

10. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member

Agreed with preferring a fabric with more “structure” because it is less revealing and more flattering.

But I’m not really much of a polo shirt wearer these days.

11. Todd Shelton

I haven't given much thought to polos lately either - but I do think there's a gap between button up shirts and t-shirts for social occasions (date night, casual dinner parties). Many times you don't want to wear a button up or a t-shirt - especially in the months when a sweater isn't an option - a more refined polo could possibly fill that gap.

12. Todd Shelton

What are your thoughts on Thermal Waffle shirts? They're a new product for us, first released in October and re-released in different colors yesterday. Do you like them or not - and why? What types or designs are better than others, etc?

In the next couple of months we'll decide if Thermal Waffle will return in Fall 2019 and I'm looking for as much feedback as possible. Thanks. https://toddshelton.com/t-shirts

2019_0114_thermal.jpg
    2019_0114_thermal2.jpg

https://toddshelton.com/t-shirts

13. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member

I saw those on your site a few days ago and thought that the waffle knit versions of your henleys photographed particularly well. The photos drew me in to read about the product. As one customer, not speaking for the rest of the world, I look for descriptions of the fabric used for your products always hoping for more descriptive terms. You often give factual descriptions, but I want to be sold on why this is the henley for me, whichay take some comparative language:

“Our spring and summer henleys are made from ___ which makes them perfect to be worn alone or as a layer during warmer days or under a light jacket for cooler weather. By comparison, these thermal waffle knit henleys are made using ___ which makes them the perfect shirt for lounging around the house on a cold winter day or to be worn under a winter coat when walking the dog or running errands.”

Obviously you target the use case scenarios for the target audience. I respond to more realistic uses, where some might be more responsive to aspirational imagery.

In any case, henleys are a staple item. My preference is for a soft material with enough body to not cling to my mid-40s dad body. I also seem to break buttons on henleys more often than with any other clothing item. I assume it’s because I treat them roughly and I tend to buy henleys that are less thoughtfully made. So I would notice if I hade a nice henley that stood up to the abuse.

I’ll have to order one to give better feedback on your execution.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019

14. Todd Shelton

Good point. Writing good product descriptions takes time and many times falls down on the list of priorities for a product release. People just browsing generally won't read the description, but serious shoppers will. It's good to hear this from you, I will look at our process for writing. Thanks!

I met with our knit suppliers this week and found lots of interesting fabrics to test for polos, henley's, and lightweight pullovers. I'm very interested right now in the void between button-up shirts and t-shirts.

15. Peter1

Peter1 Senior Member

I'm a jersey fan. Pique knit polos still feel too "preppy" era to me. I have very specific polo needs, and haven't really found one that I love: self-fabric collar that isn't too stiff like Kent Wang or too floppy, slim fit, 2 pearl buttons, long tail (not just a split hem), sleeves that aren't too short or too long. And a good range of unusual colors. All for $100 or less...a man can dream, can't he.