• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Todd Shelton - Official Affiliate Thread

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'd love to hear your thoughts on button fly jeans vs zipper fly jeans. Which do you prefer? And if a brand did not have your fly preference, would it stop you from buying?
My preference is for a button fly on all but the lightest weight denim. But I don’t see it as a deal killer, just a preference.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Makes me wonder, in such a competitive industry and at a $200 price point, how does even a small preference that's not top-of-mind influence a purchase.
It wouldn’t affect the initial purchase, but might affect whether the item gets worn all the time or becomes a secondary option. I’m more likely to be a repeat buyer when more of a given brands’ items are primary options in my closet.

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It wouldn’t affect the initial purchase, but might affect whether the item gets worn all the time or becomes a secondary option. I’m more likely to be a repeat buyer when more of a given brands’ items are primary options in my closet.
Such an important point for a brand to understand.

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
2018_1006_tshirt.jpg

This week we put out two new heathered t-shirt colors (heather navy shown above, heather blue is the other color). When we release a new product, we try to put a bigger production run together to be more cost efficient. To help get the introductory production run larger, we offer a 25% discount for a few days. The 25% offer for these t-shirts is good for the next two days, then they'll revert back to full price.

You can see the new colors here: www.toddshelton.com/t-shirts

Styles we offer with t-shirts:
Crew Neck Long Sleeve
Crew Neck Short Sleeve
Henley Long Sleeve
Henley Short Sleeve

Fit options we offer for t-shirts:
9 shoulder and chest sizes - S, S/M, M, M/L, L, L/XL, XL, XL/XXL, XXL (the sizes with slashes are in-between standard sizes)
2 stomach width fits - Slim and Standard
5 overall length fits - 2" Shorter (than standard), 1" Shorter, Standard, 1" Longer, 2" Longer
7 sleeve lengths
Chest pocket or no chest pocket

If you're into fit, or you have fit issues due to shorter or taller than average heights, or if you're constantly getting alterations done, we can probably help you. Our target is to get you into a garment that's more rewarding to own because it fits right. Let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
2018_1008_twitter.JPG

Hey guys. I wanted to see if any of you had thoughts on this issue...

I’m seeing the 'sale' culture take over – lots of consumers claiming they won’t buy clothing unless it’s X% off. Obviously brands created this problem, probably due to too much competition, and now they have to make 'sales' more exciting to get consumers to react. It’s becoming like a drug, it’s taking more intense 'sales' for a consumer to get their 'sale' fix. I took that image above at Banana Republic this weekend in the World Trade center, it’s 50% off – it’s almost an on-going event, it’s part of their pricing strategy. And it’s enabled by their ability to make clothing so cheaply overseas.

I’m starting to see this as manipulative. For years, I've bought a navy merino sweater from BR to kick around in. This year I didn’t because I think their pricing has become dishonest.

So my question is, do you see this type of 'inflate and slash' pricing as bad for the clothing industry? Bad for consumerism? Or just the new reality?

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1048670

Hey guys. I wanted to see if any of you had thoughts on this issue...

I’m seeing the 'sale' culture take over – lots of consumers claiming they won’t buy clothing unless it’s X% off. Obviously brands created this problem, probably due to too much competition, and now they have to make 'sales' more exciting to get consumers to react. It’s becoming like a drug, it’s taking more intense 'sales' for a consumer to get their 'sale' fix. I took that image above at Banana Republic this weekend in the World Trade center, it’s 50% off – it’s almost an on-going event, it’s part of their pricing strategy. And it’s enabled by their ability to make clothing so cheaply overseas.

I’m starting to see this as manipulative. For years, I've bought a navy merino sweater from BR to kick around in. This year I didn’t because I think their pricing has become dishonest.

So my question is, do you see this type of 'inflate and slash' pricing as bad for the clothing industry? Bad for consumerism? Or just the new reality?
I think it is the reality for big box. As a customer, I am entirely comfortable with the approach S.E.H. Kelly takes: “the price is the price and there is never any sale.” I am also appreciative of seasonal sales from shops like No Man Walks Alone, which allow me to justify buying pieces I like that I wasn’t fully committed to at the undiscounted price.

I’ve only become aware of your brand recently and have not yet made any purchases, but personality wise, your brand does not seem aligned with the mass-market, half-off sale every day approach.

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I think it is the reality for big box. As a customer, I am entirely comfortable with the approach S.E.H. Kelly takes: “the price is the price and there is never any sale.” I am also appreciative of seasonal sales from shops like No Man Walks Alone, which allow me to justify buying pieces I like that I wasn’t fully committed to at the undiscounted price.

I’ve only become aware of your brand recently and have not yet made any purchases, but personality wise, your brand does not seem aligned with the mass-market, half-off sale every day approach.
I’m seeing the inflate and slash culture move to more premium brands too, like Rag and Bone - and I think it’s going to continue to influence brands that we thought were immune to it. I agree that there will always be people like yourself, who can see the value in something good, and are willing to pay for it – but I fear that group is going to get smaller. Thanks for the response.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there another big consumer industry that the 'sale' culture is as aggressive as it is with clothing? There might be, but I can't think of it.
It makes me think of how Guitar Center ran near continuous sales (up to 80% off!) on musical equipment.

beargonefishing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Years ago i bought a suit from Josh Bank. The cashier gave me a corporate card and said it entitled me to 20% off on non-sale items. I looked at him and asked if there was wver anything in the store not on sale and he said shoes. Everything but shoes is always on sale.

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Years ago i bought a suit from Josh Bank. The cashier gave me a corporate card and said it entitled me to 20% off on non-sale items. I looked at him and asked if there was wver anything in the store not on sale and he said shoes. Everything but shoes is always on sale.
Jos Bank is really good at inflate and slash pricing. It's sneaky but it works and consumers still fall for it. Maybe the reason discounting is used so much in clothing compared to other industries...is because there's such a wide range in acceptable pricing for a garment. It's believable to see a pant at $19 and at $500, so it gives brands the leverage to start with a fake price of $89 with the intention they'll make money at $40. And the rise of cheap outsourcing and crazy competition has put fuel on the fire. Thanks for responding.

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi guys. We have a discussion happening here about how many newsletter emails we should send on a monthly basis. Emails are important to let interested customers know about new things. Emails are also important for most digital brands just to stay in business. For the discussion we’re having internally, the main worry is about how to respect the customers inbox – at what point does a customer feel like you’re just marketing to them instead of trying to add value to their life.

Assuming the email content is relevant and well thought out to your standards, how many emails a month seems respectful to you?

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
2018_1011_khaki.jpg

We just released a cedar color khaki in our main khaki fabric. For the next few days, you can get in on the very first production run of this color and save a little money. The production run is scheduled to start in two weeks, Oct 25. The fabric comes from England, we make the khaki in our East Rutherford, NJ factory.

You can see the product and offer here: https://toddshelton.com/pants/american-classic-khaki-cedar

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.