• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Todd Shelton - Official Affiliate Thread

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We added fabrics to our winter trouser event. All are from American Woolen in CT. A few classic solids (Camel, Black, Light Grey) - but the others have bigger personalities. Some of our guys like a pant with personality for Holiday functions. We have the IPR going on these on our site for another day. If you have any questions, let me know.

2019_1108_swatches2.jpg

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
2019_1112_flannel_jeans8.jpg

2019_1112_flannel_jeans2.jpg

We brought back our flannel lined Pro Original Darks today for Fall/Winter. If you live in the cold and spend time out in it - and you like our Pro Original - this will be a useful product. Let me know if you have any questions.

Denim from Japan, flannel from Portugal, we make the jean in our factory in East Rutherford, NJ.

You can see it here: https://toddshelton.com/jeans/pro-original-darks-flannel-lined-jean

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm searching for a white sneaker, like a Common Projects, but in the classic vans style. Not the converse all-star style. All brands seem to do the converse style. And the brands that do vans style, only do slip-ons.

JM Weston does a nice vans style but it's double buckle and not white:

James Perse does vans style but slip on:

Does anyone know a brand (that's not vans) making a vans lace-up style sneaker? I wonder why brands aren't doing it, it's a popular shape.

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We made an upgrade to our Hoodies this past week. We noticed phone outlines showing in the kangaroo pocket and the phone weight making the pocket sag. We're now adding a phone pocket, which is sewn to the sweatshirt body - so it anchors the phone against the body. If the phone is in the pocket it's not noticeable from the outside.

2019_1115_styleforum.jpg

2019_1115_styleforum2.jpg

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Today we released Olive in our Electric Company Pullover Hoodie. The colors of the french terry and the rib (cuffs, bottom band, and side panel) are slightly different - in this case I think it makes the product more interesting. The other Electric Company colors are uniform between french terry and rib.

2019_1116_styleforum2.jpg

2019_1116_styleforum1.jpg

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
In January, I'd like to show 'before and after' examples of our clothing on guys. Kind of like makeover profiles in magazines. We get a guy, who's open to this type of thing, have him choose a top and bottom (which we'd gift to him for participating) - get his fit right - and show the photos of his pre-non-TS fit vs his new TS fit. Maybe we'd help provide footwear, belts, etc (if needed) - putting together a full outfit. I'm thinking these would not be TS customers, but friends of customers, and people we know. We'd do a photo shoot here at the factory on a Saturday.

Before we go fully into it, I'd love to get feedback on the idea:
1. Would you like to see these types of examples?
2. Is "fit makeover' a good or bad name for this type of story?
2. Ideas to make each story interesting, and worthy of your time?

ljl

Reaction score
1. I think this is a good authentic 'story' for you.
2. Unsure. I personally like making it more aspirational -'find your fit', but maybe your reach will be further with 'makeover'.
3. Diverse range of ages and professions.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In January, I'd like to show 'before and after' examples of our clothing on guys. Kind of like makeover profiles in magazines. We get a guy, who's open to this type of thing, have him choose a top and bottom (which we'd gift to him for participating) - get his fit right - and show the photos of his pre-non-TS fit vs his new TS fit. Maybe we'd help provide footwear, belts, etc (if needed) - putting together a full outfit. I'm thinking these would not be TS customers, but friends of customers, and people we know. We'd do a photo shoot here at the factory on a Saturday.

I like it.

What if it is part of a “Hero Outfit” series? In that series you have: (1) your fit upgrade/makeover profiles; (2) profiles of existing customers describing/showing their Todd Shelton Hero Outfits (the what, where, when, and why of what they wear); and (3) profiles of your products (e.g., hoodie) and materials and the where, when, and why of how they fit into hero outfits.

Then you aren’t relying only on new users for content, you aren’t singling new users out as needing makeovers, and you have a wider platform for a broad and coherent ongoing series.

TheDonofLan

Reaction score

Think that is a very cool idea. My thoughts:

1. Definitely. Could also help showcase different fits for different body types which customers could compare against when trying to determine their own fits and how they would look (maybe include the person's measurements?). Would be a cool additional way to get an idea on what a basic/relaxed pant, or M/L shirt etc... would look like, while also showing the importance fit can make.

2. As my girlfriend said, "it's kinda boring." The change with fit is definitely important, but it seems like you are trying to broadcast more than just what your fit can do by telling a story about the person. "Fit makeover" seems like it removes a bit of the personal touch you are trying to get for each individual that you would showcase. Off the top of my head I can't think of a better name to use, but I'll mull it over.

3. I like Patrick's idea of tying it into the Hero Outfit series, and certainly think it should be a diverse range of ages. You could ask people why they wear what they wear, what is important to them in clothing (fit, style, fabric, consumer ethics), and how they found that with Todd Shelton.

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
3. Diverse range of ages and professions.
We can do that. If you know someone local that might benefit from this and willing to do it, please let me know.

What if it is part of a “Hero Outfit” series? In that series you have: (1) your fit upgrade/makeover profiles; (2) profiles of existing customers describing/showing their Todd Shelton Hero Outfits (the what, where, when, and why of what they wear)...

Then you aren’t relying only on new users for content, you aren’t singling new users out as needing makeovers...
Hero outfit can definitely be a part of this series, good idea. And I think you’re right, it would be better not to single out certain guys.

Think that is a very cool idea. My thoughts...
Good stuff, thanks. I think digging into some of our more unusual fit options is good. And telling a guys story is good. If you’re local, please DM me.

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We’re looking to make ordering easier, especially for new customers.

We currently offer 10 Day and 30 Day Production on all of our products - both are ‘Made to Order’. We do accept returns/exchanges.

I’d love your feedback on this:
  1. Do you find ‘Made to Order’ too intimidating or committal?
  2. For a brand you haven’t tried, would ‘Made to Order’ be a positive or a negative?
  3. Do you worry about returns and exchanges with ‘Made to Order’ products?
  4. Any other thoughts?

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yesterday we started a sale in our shirt shop. It's made up of fabrics we have from previous year releases.

For those who don't have shirts from us, it's a good time to try because we're offering new shirt customers free fit kits.

We make these shirts in our East Rutherford factory. The fabrics are from Portugal and Japan. If you have any questions about fit, let me know.

2019_1118_shirt_shop_sale.jpg

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
A good (but long) article this week on clothing consumption, sustainability, and ethics of the industry in general. From the Washington Post fashion critic, Robin Givhan, who's becoming one of the most influential and important voices in that space.

A quote that resonates with me:
"If the fashion industry paid factory workers for the true value of their labor and was as mindful of its environmental footprint as it should be, Thomas says, then several hundred dollars is precisely what a high-quality white shirt should cost."

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We have a shirt shop sale happening now. If you like rankings or are intrigued by what things sell within a company, which I generally am, here's how the sales are coming in - and it's kind of fascinating.

When the sale started on Wednesday, during office hours, through yesterday, this shirt sold #1:

Today, a shirt that I don't think sold Wed-Fri, is clearly #1, within multiple orders:

What I find fascinating is that during the work week, guys were thinking about work shirts. On a Saturday, guys are thinking about weekend type shirts. It may be a generalization, and it may be an anomaly, but it's the first time I've clearly seen that type of connection.

Reactions: ljl

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s really fascinating. I would not have expected the results to correlate like that.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 279 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40