• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Todd Shelton - Official Affiliate Thread

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
2019_1012_styleforum.jpg

Hey guys, El Capitan is our wool trouser. We made some changes to make it more casual and less like a suit separate. Office dress codes are relaxing and we're responding to that. I think it's possible to get a trouser to a point where a guy wants to wear it socially (not just for work) and that's what we're taking El Cap. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I've admired Bonobos for years for what their founder, Andy Dunn, was able to build. He's a dynamic guy and he built an e-commerce business fast when it was first being figured out. I think he took over $150 million in funding for the first 8 years or so, that's about $1.5 million per month. He sold to Wal-Mart a year ago for $300 million.

I read this past week, their still not profitable, and they're laying off people. I don't think they are servicing debt, so simply put, not being profitable means current expenses are greater than current sales. I've read their annual revenue is around $150 million. Their price point is around $100.

With big annual revenue, Wal-Mart infrastructure behind them, access to the best marketers and great business-minds - why are they struggling so to become profitable?

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fwiw, I have a Bonobo check shirt that I thrifted about 5 yrs ago that I like. However, I agree with the person in the article I linked to, namely, Walmart have a really bad reputation for the way they treat their workers and for putting small businesses out of business. Walmart basically taints anything they touch and I for one would not support any company owned by them. I think that Bonobo underestimated their customer base and were just going for a cash grab imo

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@gaseousclay I agree, I think they lost a lot of their early customers when Wal-Mart bought them. But I think they knew that would happen. From what I heard, it wasn't a cash grab - but a life-line to stay in business. Wal-Mart kinda bailed them out. I bet Wal-Mart regrets the purchase, but could be wrong.

Bonobos had over $100 million in sales before the Wal-Mart acquisition and they couldn't become profitable.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should rephrase my earlier post and say that Walmart underestimated Bonobo customers. I believe the article stated that some of Walmart's other acquisitions, like Moosejaw, Modcloth and jet.com, saw a dip in traffic to their sites. Makes sense since the same happened with Bonobo. Customers are far more savvy nowadays and a lot of them don't want to buy from or associate with any company that doesn't share their values. Taylor Stitch did a similar thing where they started outsourcing to China and had some stuff being sold at Target. Not sure how this effected their sales but I won't buy from them anymore mainly because of the outsourcing.

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
You're right, years ago we didn't know very much about the brands we bought from, now we have access to a lot of information. Walmart sold Modcloth last week and they're probably cutting staff to tidy up Bonobos for a sale.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're right, years ago we didn't know very much about the brands we bought from, now we have access to a lot of information.
I don't know who started this trend or when but I see a lot of transparency in the denim community which is why I think they've thrived for the past 10 yrs. I like it when companies are principled and at least try to carve out a niche for themselves without making compromises. Customers are willing to pay a premium to support those brands. For example, 3sixteen emphasizes quality fabrics sourced from Japan but made in the USA. Whereas, a company like Filson relies soley on their brand name to make a buck versus keeping production in the US. Some of their stuff is made here but a lot of it isn't and when you consider the premium they charge for their non-MiUSA stuff it's kinda silly to spend $145 on one of their shirts when I can get a made in Japan or MiUSA shirt for slightly more.

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
2019_1015_styleforum1.jpg

2019_1015_styleforum3.jpg

2019_1015_styleforum2.jpg

We just released new 3 new flannel shirts for Fall. Tomorrow we'll send an email introducing them. We chose these styles based off the most-popular styles from last years Flannel Fest.

These are releasing under our IPR (initial production run) offers. On new releases, we like to understand how popular a style will be. It helps us manage how much fabric we need for a season. Offering an incentive (a discount) to our most engaged customers helps us understand how well a product will sell throughout the season.

Let me know if you have any questions about them. You can see them here: https://toddshelton.com/shirts

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m interested in seeing the reaction from the crowd that freaked out over the 7 Rules. “But you said only wear solids!”

:)

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I’m interested in seeing the reaction from the crowd that freaked out over the 7 Rules. “But you said only wear solids!”
I expect we'll hear it. Some people did freak. :)

We're still a business that has a wide range of customers with different needs. We have a lot of guys that like flannel shirts and have liked our Flannel Fest releases in the past. We dialed down the pattern-level with this group, and we have solid flannels that'll release later. But keeping Secret Shirt Shop, which is about variety, was always a part of the plan.

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
2019_1023_styleforum1.jpg

2019_1023_styleforum2.jpg

2019_1023_styleforum3.jpg

Today we released our Aussie Duster fabric in a 5-Pocket. With no hardware. Aussie Duster is our heavyweight khaki, similar in weight to our Pro Original jean. If you're wondering about this fabric, you can message me your address and we'll send you swatches. For the next 5 days, the IPR discount will be live. Let me know if you have any questions.

You can see the pants here: https://toddshelton.com/pants

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to getting my pair! Starting with the "safari", but the black looks like a good second pair if they are as good as I expect.

TheDonofLan

Reaction score
Joined Styleforum to be able to follow updates to this thread more easily. Was fun to read through all the different posts and discussions. Hoping for a return of the waffle Henley! Only bought two jeans from you so far, but like both of them a lot and am planning on buying more items in the future. Like the idea of the heavier weight fabric similar in weight, and the safari color is very nice. Any chance there might be a gray color eventually?

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to getting my pair! Starting with the "safari", but the black looks like a good second pair if they are as good as I expect.
Yours are cut. We sent out pocketing to Pennsylvania to be dyed safari, the same color as the pant. It'll be a clean look inside the pant. The first group of Aussie Duster Safari that were shipped out did not have the tonal pocketing. Were waiting on that to come in Friday, then yours should ship Monday. I think it'll be worth the wait.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 85 17.6%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 154 32.0%
  • 8”

Votes: 140 29.0%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 54 11.2%
  • 9”

Votes: 24 5.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 11 2.3%