• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Todd Shelton - Official Affiliate Thread

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm reading more and more about the hype culture that's becoming a thing for teenagers. Young teenagers waiting in lines for expensive t-shirt and sneaker drops - it's not just NYC - it's happening all over the country.

It makes me empathetic to the kids who are watching it in school and on social media, but who can't afford it. What affect is it having on them mentally?

I know parents want their kids to have things that will help make them confident socially - but should empathetic parents who have money be careful about letting their kids buy and wear hype clothing? Any thoughts?

beargonefishing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm reading more and more about the hype culture that's becoming a thing for teenagers. Young teenagers waiting in lines for expensive t-shirt and sneaker drops - it's not just NYC - it's happening all over the country.

It makes me empathetic to the kids who are watching it in school and on social media, but who can't afford it. What affect is it having on them mentally?

I know parents want their kids to have things that will help make them confident socially - but should empathetic parents who have money be careful about letting their kids buy and wear hype clothing? Any thoughts?
There was an episode of Atlanta about this.

ljl

Reaction score
This morning I'm thinking supply chains, labor and what I buy. Very proud that Todd Shelton is an American brand, made in America.

I've been looking at suiting, and thinking about my choices, given our 'trade' war with China. Hickey Freeman has been my standard for years. So many others (like J Crew's Ludlows) are manufactured in China. I'd rather pay extra for it to be made here.

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
There was an episode of Atlanta about this.
I'll try to find it, thanks.

This morning I'm thinking supply chains, labor and what I buy. Very proud that Todd Shelton is an American brand, made in America.

I've been looking at suiting, and thinking about my choices, given our 'trade' war with China. Hickey Freeman has been my standard for years. So many others (like J Crew's Ludlows) are manufactured in China. I'd rather pay extra for it to be made here.
Thanks. Unfortunately you're going to be limited with suits. Hickey Freeman may be your best bet since you're familiar with it. Joseph Abboud (for men's wearhouse) makes a suit here. Circle Rock does (don't know where they make). Someone else here may offer up an option I don't know about.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Southwick makes suits in the US as well.

Todd, your post about kids wearing hyped brands reminded me of this article. https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/7/18534431/fortnite-rare-default-skins-bullying-harassment

Fortnite is free, but kids are getting bullied into spending money

The stigma of being a default

<snippet>

In a private school where tuition is high, students can bicker about clothes, shoe brands, cellphones, or video games. At Paul Towler’s middle school, where he teaches English to seventh and eighth graders, some kids “have enough money to be comfortable and others’ parents are owners of giant nationwide restaurant chains,” he says. Towler is used to seeing such disparities play out in the real world through objects that you can physically hold. But after battle royale sensation Fortnite exploded, the fights between students took an unexpected turn. Fortnite’s virtual clothes became a status symbol, and some of Towler’s pupils started policing what their classmates wore in-game.

As Fortnite has shifted into a hangout spot, the messiness of social hierarchies has followed... in the realm of Fortnite, there is nothing worse that having a standard character, otherwise known as a “default."

And so “default” quickly became a put-down within the Fortnite community, a signal that you are a lesser player in some way.

“On more than one occasion I heard the kids refer to one another as a ‘default,’” Towler says, referencing things he’s overheard at school. “At one point they started to use it just as a generic insult both in and out of the classroom.”

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Southwick makes suits in the US as well.

Todd, your post about kids wearing hyped brands reminded me of this article. https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/7/18534431/fortnite-rare-default-skins-bullying-harassment

Fortnite is free, but kids are getting bullied into spending money

The stigma of being a default

<snippet>

In a private school where tuition is high, students can bicker about clothes, shoe brands, cellphones, or video games. At Paul Towler’s middle school, where he teaches English to seventh and eighth graders, some kids “have enough money to be comfortable and others’ parents are owners of giant nationwide restaurant chains,” he says. Towler is used to seeing such disparities play out in the real world through objects that you can physically hold. But after battle royale sensation Fortnite exploded, the fights between students took an unexpected turn. Fortnite’s virtual clothes became a status symbol, and some of Towler’s pupils started policing what their classmates wore in-game.

As Fortnite has shifted into a hangout spot, the messiness of social hierarchies has followed... in the realm of Fortnite, there is nothing worse that having a standard character, otherwise known as a “default."

And so “default” quickly became a put-down within the Fortnite community, a signal that you are a lesser player in some way.

“On more than one occasion I heard the kids refer to one another as a ‘default,’” Towler says, referencing things he’s overheard at school. “At one point they started to use it just as a generic insult both in and out of the classroom.”
"Default style" that's right up my alley.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to get a white sneaker within the next month. Probably common projects achilles - a buddy told me the hype is real. What do you think?
I have a pair of all white CP Achilles. They are a few years old, well broken in, and still whiter than any shoe needs to be.

Here is a shot of them from a few days ago. They are so bright they are almost impossible to photograph. Remember, these are two years old and it’s not like I’m cleaning them and shining them.
0D46AD49-53B5-4504-9AC9-5D483A3E1A90.jpeg

(Also, Todd Shelton Pro Original Dark jeans)

I like the Achilles a lot, they are a clean sleek design, they are certainly high quality. But they are better suited to more high contrast outfits, which is a smaller part of my wardrobe.

I have a pair of off-white Buttero Tanino sneakers, but they are a bit too yellow to super versatile.
1169C9AC-FD28-4C74-8452-B89D977E0196.jpeg

(Again with Todd Shelton Pro Original Dark jeans)

I graduated high school in 1993. I’ve been a huge fan of hip-hop dating back to the mid-80s. I channeled my musical energy into being a bass player thanks to inspiration from Adam Yauch (MCA) of the Beastie Boys. I suspect that is the reason the Adidas Campus has always been my favorite sneaker.
8ED3DB7D-E0C6-4C2A-9DDC-59E37CB396E4.jpeg
2AB50885-9726-4B4F-BC6B-7A426AD5479E.jpeg
874C8B2B-E488-4AF8-ACCD-26968850D474.jpeg

I have a bunch of pairs, but one of my favorite two pairs are a pair of gray based (rather than yellow based) off whites. That’s what I was wearing in my last posted photos.
568B2CBF-3E3A-4577-A98F-AD9CCBAD67C1.jpeg

If I were getting a pair of white sneakers today, I would make sure they were at least slightly off white and tended towards a gray color.

I get the appeal of common projects, but somehow I feel more "me" in a simple $60 stan smith (and moving to rod laver model in summer when it gets hot). If i am going to pop for an expensive sneaker, i'd probably do something in a nice brown that i could wear to work on a casual day.
I have a hard time with brown sneakers. I have a few. My favorite are a mocha colored horsehide sneaker from Epaulet.
B9435109-448C-402D-8FBD-C554DE43E8C1.jpeg

I have tried a number of times, but they just don’t seem “work appropriate” for me. Obviously, everyone has a different situation, so it’s nothing more than my experience.

I also sometimes try to work in a pair of taupe suede Butteros, but again, it just feels a step too casual for me.
0BC4EE69-A79A-4B09-A945-D947856C42A0.jpeg

(Todd Shelton flannels)

For work, I find myself reverting to dark brown suede bluchers or loafers. They are a step above sneakers and a step below “why are you wearing such fancy shoes?”

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have a pair of all white CP Achilles. They are a few years old, well broken in, and still whiter than any shoe needs to be.

Here is a shot of them from a few days ago. They are so bright they are almost impossible to photograph. Remember, these are two years old and it’s not like I’m cleaning them and shining them.
View attachment 1176645
(Also, Todd Shelton Pro Original Dark jeans)

I like the Achilles a lot, they are a clean sleek design, they are certainly high quality. But they are better suited to more high contrast outfits, which is a smaller part of my wardrobe.

I have a pair of off-white Buttero Tanino sneakers, but they are a bit too yellow to super versatile.
View attachment 1176646
(Again with Todd Shelton Pro Original Dark jeans)

I graduated high school in 1993. I’ve been a huge fan of hip-hop dating back to the mid-80s. I channeled my musical energy into being a bass player thanks to inspiration from Adam Yauch (MCA) of the Beastie Boys. I suspect that is the reason the Adidas Campus has always been my favorite sneaker.
View attachment 1176664 View attachment 1176665 View attachment 1176663

I have a bunch of pairs, but one of my favorite two pairs are a pair of gray based (rather than yellow based) off whites. That’s what I was wearing in my last posted photos.
View attachment 1176644

If I were getting a pair of white sneakers today, I would make sure they were at least slightly off white and tended towards a gray color.

I have a hard time with brown sneakers. I have a few. My favorite are a mocha colored horsehide sneaker from Epaulet.
View attachment 1176648

I have tried a number of times, but they just don’t seem “work appropriate” for me. Obviously, everyone has a different situation, so it’s nothing more than my experience.

I also sometimes try to work in a pair of taupe suede Butteros, but again, it just feels a step too casual for me.
View attachment 1176647
(Todd Shelton flannels)

For work, I find myself reverting to dark brown suede bluchers or loafers. They are a step above sneakers and a step below “why are you wearing such fancy shoes?”
That's probably the most solid post we've had on this thread yet. Thanks.

Interesting on the bright white thing with common projects. I think they're a sneaker replacement for a dress shoe. I think for our customer it's a good option for the office - with dark jeans or dress trousers, like you've shown. I think for an office, it's tough to match the sophistication of that specific common projects shoe. Agree?

For me here at the factory, as an every day shoe, it does seem almost too nice - but i need to step up my shoe game. I wear the classic vans vanilla color - never liked the bright white. The Achilles is probably a touch out of my comfort zone - and I wouldn't mind stepping out of my comfort zone. Truth be told, I resisted them for years because they were the 'it' shoe - but now that that's passed, I'm more intrigued.

A Canadian customer stopped into the factory last week and mentioned Maine Moccasin. I haven't been drawn the the preppy boat shoe, but this has a vibe that feels less preppy. The proportions and sole seem right. What do you think about these shoes?

2019_0515_styleforum.jpg

I agree that brown sneakers are tough because they can look like a cole haan or steve madden type shoe. But I do look forward to seeing what @WillingToLearn pulls off. Do you think the above mocs could fill the void of brown sneakers?

Thanks for the post. The lower block of your jeans and trousers look good.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting on the bright white thing with common projects. I think they're a sneaker replacement for a dress shoe. I think for our customer it's a good option for the office - with dark jeans or dress trousers, like you've shown. I think for an office, it's tough to match the sophistication of that specific common projects shoe. Agree?

For me here at the factory, as an every day shoe, it does seem almost too nice - but i need to step up my shoe game. I wear the classic vans vanilla color - never liked the bright white. The Achilles is probably a touch out of my comfort zone - and I wouldn't mind stepping out of my comfort zone. Truth be told, I resisted them for years because they were the 'it' shoe - but now that that's passed, I'm more intrigued.

A Canadian customer stopped into the factory last week and mentioned Maine Moccasin. I haven't been drawn the the preppy boat shoe, but this has a vibe that feels less preppy. The proportions and sole seem right. What do you think about these shoes?

View attachment 1176745

I agree that brown sneakers are tough because they can look like a cole haan or steve madden type shoe. But I do look forward to seeing what @WillingToLearn pulls off. Do you think the above mocs could fill the void of brown sneakers?

I think the CPs can work like you describe. I feel like they need some balancing light shirt or similar element if you’re wearing a dark lower block.

Alternatively you can wear them like Simon Crompton with a lower contrast pant.
1F189C4E-9101-4C6C-953D-2C916E122C59.jpeg

My most common use of my CPs is with no show socks, lightweight rolled olive green ripstop pants, and a seersucker (white, white and blue stripes, or white and pink stripes) button down or popover shirt. But obviously I bust them out with jeans and other pants. I went through my phone to see if I had another other shots of them readily accessible and this is what I found:
FE54BB34-2937-4DC0-BAC1-D93D6A2BE44A.jpeg

I like the moccasins you posted a lot. But I also spend most of the summer wearing a beaten up pair of dark brown boat shoes. That is my default warm weather shoe. Your posted version definitely works in a less preppy way.

Since I’m on a walk wearing another pair of Adidas Campus and my Todd Shelton flannels, here’s another shoe shot.
C04E5C1C-0677-488F-B347-1D1A4C389AD7.jpeg

Last edited:

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
How can we create a neutral outfit where you send no signals (societal) with your clothing. White sneakers, no logo, seems to be as neutral as you can get.

I posted something about neutral design on instagram. A guy commented that there is no neutral design, maybe you can pursue it but you can't achieve it - he said "every choice signals something."

ljl

Reaction score
Yes, once you are aware that you’re sending signals there is no turning back. For lots of guys that means playing it safe. And then there are the others who want to play with it.

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patrick, love the MCA shout out in the post. I had actually typed out a sentence at the end of my post where i reference the stan smiths mentioning that i had gone to see Ad-rock and Mike D talk about their Beastie Boys book in Brooklyn a few weeks ago and Ad-rock came out in khakis and stan smiths and it just reaffirmed my sentiments. but i deleted it.

As a side note, it was a really moving event. Both positive and negative; the sense of grief over Yauch was palpable from both, and it felt a bit like a memorial service, which i don't mean as a negative. You and I are of similar vintage (HS class of '94) and i grew up in an urban environment where hip hop was king. i remember about 1999 telling someone that the Beastie Boys were one of the top 5 most influential musical groups of the 20th century and i got absolutely laughed at. I stand by that statement.

Came real close to buying a pair of these recently, but felt it was a little too "try-hard" as one of my boys likes to say

upload_2019-5-16_12-58-46.jpeg

Working at home today, reached for my pro soft darks, but convinced my self that needed to give some other jeans a turn as my rotation has been a little dominate by the PSDs of late.

Splash Pitman

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this quote a lot: "We're not selling clothes. I don't care about the clothes."

A few people close to me are reinforcing the designers statement - that it's not about the clothes. I get it, but I haven't yet embraced it. Maybe I will, I'm not sure. But it makes me think about what would cause that if it is accurate.

This is my first theory: fashion is a career that enables creative people to make a living. And since most people must make a living, fashion attracts creative people who really don't care about clothes - but do care about art and creation. Maybe they can't make a living in music, fine arts, theater, etc - but they can make a living in fashion. And the big bonus for them (to be in fashion) is they get to be around other creative people daily - instead of other types of people they may dislike.
l think that you're brain is telling you that it's BS and that's why you can't fully accept the notion , if that's what they tell themselves to get through the day then power to them because the reality is any job that requires you to use abstract thought and you're hands could be considered artistic and not about the act of doing the job , if you get an electrician in to power up a new machine and you point to where the fuse box is and where you been the power connection do you at the completion of the task go wow that guys an artist " NO" , clothes are a product we must have its just that some people have a want for more stylised clothes .

Splash Pitman

Reaction score

View attachment 1176745

I have White and blue yuketen shoes in the same style .

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.