• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Todd Shelton - Official Affiliate Thread

ljl

Reaction score
These new shirts look pretty nice Todd! Thinking back a few posts about your question: what am I buying, is it clothing or just image? I think the best brands have it all from utility to feeling: a good looking, well made functional product, emotional benefits from doing business with an ethical company, and aspirational benefits: feeling excited that we're all better for doing business and working together.

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
These new shirts look pretty nice Todd! Thinking back a few posts about your question: what am I buying, is it clothing or just image? I think the best brands have it all from utility to feeling: a good looking, well made functional product, emotional benefits from doing business with an ethical company, and aspirational benefits: feeling excited that we're all better for doing business and working together.
Well said. The best brands have it all. Thanks for the comment.

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Today we released a new wool/cotton trouser fabric. We're considering it as a replacement to our core fabric. Our thinking is that offices are relaxing, suiting style fabrics will be less necessary in the future - but a desire for a nice trouser (not all cotton) will remain.

We're hoping guys that own our El Capitan will opt into this release and wear test them. If you don't own our trousers, but wear trousers weekly, your feedback would be valuable too. If you're willing to give feedback, use code: elcap to get 10% off.

https://toddshelton.com/pants/captain-wool-trouser-slate
Let me know if you have any questions.

2019_0424_elcap2.jpg

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm working on Rules for Clothing for our guys - to give our guys some guidelines and to create a branded aesthetic.

One rule I'm considering is: The bottom of your pants should stop at the top of your shoe. Similar to the photo above. I know that most guys are going to want a slight break. But slight is subjective and leaves room for mistakes. If the guy goes too long his whole look will be haphazard.

What do you think about this rule?

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm working on Rules for Clothing for our guys - to give our guys some guidelines and to create a branded aesthetic.

One rule I'm considering is: The bottom of your pants should stop at the top of your shoe. Similar to the photo above. I know that most guys are going to want a slight break. But slight is subjective and leaves room for mistakes. If the guy goes too long his whole look will be haphazard.

Don't know that I agree with this rule, unless you're going for the Kramer high water look. I trust my tailor to make these decisions for me.

Peter1

Reaction score

I think it's too doctrinaire.

A typical CBD suit will have a medium or slight break, with the back of the trousers angled down. I think no break would look kind of odd with, say, a typical US sack suit, which is what a lot of execs still wear.

It's not that hard to work out: You start with no break and add about a half inch.

More "progressive" business dressers, especially here in Europe, will have the trous just skimming the tops of the shoes, as you suggest, but for that look to work, a) you better be in good shape and b) the trousers need to be cut just right and drape just so.

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Don't know that I agree with this rule, unless you're going for the Kramer high water look. I trust my tailor to make these decisions for me.
Kramer was way above top of shoe. I personally do no break, top of shoe, and no one has ever commented on high waters. I don't think top of shoe is out of the ordinary. But I don't disagree, top of shoe is a touch more risky than slight break.

I think it's too doctrinaire.

A typical CBD suit will have a medium or slight break, with the back of the trousers angled down. I think no break would look kind of odd with, say, a typical US sack suit, which is what a lot of execs still wear.

It's not that hard to work out: You start with no break and add about a half inch.

More "progressive" business dressers, especially here in Europe, will have the trous just skimming the tops of the shoes, as you suggest, but for that look to work, a) you better be in good shape and b) the trousers need to be cut just right and drape just so.
"start with no break and add about a half inch" - sounds good. And fascinating point on a guy needing to be in good shape to have a shorter inseam.

Reaction score
Another rule I'm considering is: Wear solid colors only.

What do you think about this?
Absolutely Ridiculous! If you are putting together a guide for beginners, I can see a basic rule like wear only one pattern at one time. It's hard to go wrong if you follow that rule. In other words, if you are wearing a striped or plaid or check shirt go with a solid colored pair of pants and a solid colored tie. More experienced folks can wear two patterns at the same time. For example a stripe shirt with a patterned tie (with solid colored pants). Here you can give some tips for how to match shirts with patterns with patterned ties and when solid ties would be better (talk about differences in pattern scale, etc.). But for more advanced dressers, there is nothing quite so satisfying as wearing three patterns at the same time. For example, a patterned sport coat with a patterned shirt and a patterned tie (and solid pants). Obviously this is dangerous territory and there is a definite chance that things can go horribly wrong. But when you get it right, it's very satisfying.

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Absolutely Ridiculous! If you are putting together a guide for beginners, I can see a basic rule like wear only one pattern at one time. It's hard to go wrong if you follow that rule. In other words, if you are wearing a striped or plaid or check shirt go with a solid colored pair of pants and a solid colored tie. More experienced folks can wear two patterns at the same time. For example a stripe shirt with a patterned tie (with solid colored pants). Here you can give some tips for how to match shirts with patterns with patterned ties and when solid ties would be better (talk about differences in pattern scale, etc.). But for more advanced dressers, there is nothing quite so satisfying as wearing three patterns at the same time. For example, a patterned sport coat with a patterned shirt and a patterned tie (and solid pants). Obviously this is dangerous territory and there is a definite chance that things can go horribly wrong. But when you get it right, it's very satisfying.
Very few style mistakes can be made with solid colors. A lot of mistakes can be made when patterns enter the picture.

Our core guy starts in his 30s and goes on up. At that point in life, work, family, finances dominate. He craves simplicity in the other areas of his life.

Also, when a guy gets fit and fabric right (in solid colors), it's very satisfying too. When our guys tell us they get compliments on solid color outfits, it's the best feedback we can get - people are noticing an execution of fit and fabric quality.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A third rule: Pants must be darker in color than your shirts.

How do you feel about this?
I’m really interested in these rules. I think I see where you’re going too.

I’m someone that needs at least “top of shoe plus a half inch” on my inseam or the pants don’t get worn. That said, I think top of shoe looks well-executed when the leg opening is narrower, which is why it tends to look better on trimmer guys. Otherwise you start to get the dreaded carrot shape.

In my casual wardrobe, I wear a lot of solid colors. Almost exclusively. I’m currently wearing a pair of brown moleskin five pocket pants and a dark green henley with thin black horizontal stripes. It resolves to nearly solid. I wear plaid flannels and madras shirts, and I have quite a few vertically striped summer shirts, but the majority of my clothes are solids. For example, I have a few dozen casual sweaters and only two are patterned, one of which gets worn mostly as a layer under a solid jacket.

As far as the pants must be darker than your shirt “rule,” it feels like a generally applicable guide. I think that describes me 90%+ during the fall through spring, but in the summer I will wear a light gray or a stone color pant and a darker shirt enough to skew that number lower.

The rules you’re proposing are really geared towards minimizing mistakes above all else, which might fit exactly with your target demographic. I certainly see the appeal of a safer approach to dressing.

Todd Shelton

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I’m really interested in these rules. I think I see where you’re going too.

I’m someone that needs at least “top of shoe plus a half inch” on my inseam or the pants don’t get worn. That said, I think top of shoe looks well-executed when the leg opening is narrower, which is why it tends to look better on trimmer guys. Otherwise you start to get the dreaded carrot shape.

In my casual wardrobe, I wear a lot of solid colors. Almost exclusively. I’m currently wearing a pair of brown moleskin five pocket pants and a dark green henley with thin black horizontal stripes. It resolves to nearly solid. I wear plaid flannels and madras shirts, and I have quite a few vertically striped summer shirts, but the majority of my clothes are solids. For example, I have a few dozen casual sweaters and only two are patterned, one of which gets worn mostly as a layer under a solid jacket.

As far as the pants must be darker than your shirt “rule,” it feels like a generally applicable guide. I think that describes me 90%+ during the fall through spring, but in the summer I will wear a light gray or a stone color pant and a darker shirt enough to skew that number lower.

The rules you’re proposing are really geared towards minimizing mistakes above all else, which might fit exactly with your target demographic. I certainly see the appeal of a safer approach to dressing.
Thanks for the reply and acknowledging what I'm talking about. The fashion industry is setting our guy up to fail - even profits from the failure (mistakes). The new pace at which we're being exposed to new products, the increased media and advertising we're being exposed to, is ultimately creating confusion. I'm thinking about how we can protect our guy from it.

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First pair of jeans received. Absolutely spot on. The fit would have been solid without the visit to the factory, but was perfect. Pro Soft Darks. I might, repeat might, add 1/2 to length next time, but i wore for a day, washed on cold, hung dry and stretched a bit while damp and they dried plenty long. Wearing second day in a row. So comfy and perfect fit.

Waffle henley is a great fit too. Am i a weird for thinking about a henley with an a"elastic sleeve closure? i guess just loose on my wrists is a weird feeling i need to get used to

Any thought to a midnight pro soft? Might be the perfect jean with a sport coat.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.