• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Today's Cars.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The cars of today are entirely homogenous from a Saturn to a Maybach to the hideous Rolls Royces--looking like an SUV sized down and with paltry bits of chrome, and the figure attached for a cheap effect. They all have that bulbous, slightly plastic look, and seemingly sleekness is a lost attribute even though ostensibly their main point is some sort of an aerodynamic shape. At one point all auto firms had a very distinct, almost national identity. A Jaguar looked like a Jaguar, a Mercedes looked like a Mercedes while an Opel looked like an Opel. Even the various Italian marques that patronized the same design firms as Pininfarina, Ghia, Zagato, etc. managed to look individual. One couldn't mistake a Fiat for a Lancia. Moreover Paul Bracq's 1970s BMW designs had no particular similarity to his earlier Mercedes-Benz portfolio
01_2800%20CS.jpg
53218236_pr.jpg
71665.jpg
1968%20mercedes%20benz%20200%20series-714813.jpg
flavia3resizefr.JPG
compared with:
honda-accord.jpg
5co28737a.jpg
42125-1.jpg
2005.buick.lesabre.jpg
307CC+Gr%C3%B8nn+side+-+%C3%A5pen.jpg

chrysalid

Reaction score
platform sharing, ever more stringent safety regulations and the reliance on marketing committees have all taken their toll on the freedom of the car designer, and in turn the individuality of the products.

there are, to my eyes at least, glimmers of hope. i feel particularly happy to see citroen has re-found some of it's dark, brooding and slightly sinister gallic charm.
1326483469.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrysalid
platform sharing, ever more stringent safety regulations and the reliance on marketing committees have all taken their toll on the freedom of the car designer, and in turn the individuality of the products. there are, to my eyes at least, glimmers of hope. i feel particularly happy to see citroen has re-found some of it's dark, brooding and slightly sinister gallic charm.
1326483469.jpg

What it seems to me is that a modern Toyota Corrola is not as safe as a 1966 Lincoln Continental despite all the press of World Safety Awards and whatnot. Fortunately, Citroen has always been very different even in this age of similarity. It reminds me of the SM although much less angular, and sexy:
10_104.JPG
Somehow most modern cars seem to rely on rounding off past designs, and downplaying the chrome and playing up the plastic.

chrysalid

Reaction score
it's not just about crashing in a car, it's also about being hit by one, and i'd rather be hit by a corolla with its soft bonnet and lack of ornament (unless i knew it would kill me, in which case death by continental is far more appealing).

i saw my first sm in the flesh a couple of months ago, i stopped, got out and stared for about 5 minuntes - they are low and wide and beautiful.

my major bugbear with modern car design is the pillars. all of the old cars you highlighted have thin and delicate pillars that give the cars a feeling of lightness or litheness, and accentuate the usually low waistlines, imo the most feminine part of a car. all modern cars have big fat dumpy pillars that visually fatten a car, isolate and hide the driver from the outside world and also impairs the visibility. i presume this is for safety as well, i would much rather roll c corolla than a continental (jesus could you imgagine the mess?).
delicate:
0604_aston_martin_db5_01_445.jpg

E%20Type%20Coupe%203.8%20S1%201962%20azzurro%20004.jpg

ungainly:
aston-martin-db9.jpg

08.jpg

as a side note, i am not a big fan of ian callum and the shapes he has inspired.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SUVs are a hoax. It's a four-seater on a light truck platform. What's the gain?

Death to SUVs. Hezbollah to SUVs.

otterhound

Reaction score
Nissan and Chrysler have been a bit more adventurous lately. The Chrysler Crossfire and Infiniti FX are interesting.

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
SUVs are a hoax. It's a four-seater on a light truck platform. What's the gain?

Death to SUVs. Hezbollah to SUVs.

El mauut talll SUV

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favourite has always been the Facel Vega:

f612.jpg

!luc

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think part of the homogenation comes from the fact that most of these companies are public ones. They have to please their shareholders, not the eccentric designer or quirky owner. It's all about chasing the buck. And where does the buck lies? With the great middle class, obviously.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I think part of the homogenation comes from the fact that most of these companies are public ones. They have to please their shareholders, not the eccentric designer or quirky owner. It's all about chasing the buck. And where does the buck lies? With the great middle class, obviously.
Clearly inferior.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn

The middle class is buying the Bentley Flying Spur the LK posted?

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads